Skip to content

Sleep vs. Power Word Sleep

Can anyone explain why someone would use Power Word, Sleep over regular Sleep?

Power Word, Sleep requires that the target have less then 20 hp while Sleep hits a whole group of enemies, but does not require a certain hp level. Does Power Word, Sleep work 100% if the target is weakened? Or work on higher level enemies?

Comments

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I don't think Power Word Sleep allows a saving throw. Still not enough of a reason to use it, but that's something. Also, I think Sleep will fail automatically against something with more than 4 hit dice, whereas Power Word works against anything that currently has less than 20 hp, regardless of level.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Sleep caps at something like 5th level. Anything above 5th level or 5 Hit dice (or whatever the cap is) automatically saves regardless of their hit points. Least wise that is the way PnP works. I always assumed that the game worked that way but have never "Actually" verified it.
  • LillyhimeLillyhime Member Posts: 36
    Alright, that makes sense. Thank you! :3
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Sleep caps at something like 5th level. Anything above 5th level or 5 Hit dice (or whatever the cap is) automatically saves regardless of their hit points. Least wise that is the way PnP works. I always assumed that the game worked that way but have never "Actually" verified it.

Its 5th level creatures or higher that are immune to it. Despite its description 4th level (4 hd) creatures will be affected by sleep if they fail their save.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    elminster said:

Its 5th level creatures or higher that are immune to it. Despite its description 4th level (4 hd) creatures will be affected by sleep if they fail their save.

Maybe it's me, but isn't that six of one and half a dozen of the other? 4th level or below, effected. 5th level or higher, immune. Maybe I am just reading it wrong?

Either way, thanks for the clarification. I was pretty sure there was a cut-off and that it was pretty low. I just wasn't sure where it was. Turns out it is 4th level, not 5th as I indicated. :)