Skip to content

SCS - Single Monsters appearing instead of Packs

GraypGrayp Member Posts: 16
I recently installed BGEE with SCS and the Tweak pack, following David Milward's walk-through here: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SCS1Guide/.

However very early on I noticed he is running into packs of monsters (gibberlings, dire wolves, and the like) whereas for me there is only one monster... Does anyone have any info on why that might be? I was under the impression this was built in to SCS.

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited August 2014
    @Grayp,

welcome to the Enhanced Edition were the dungeons are (mostly) empty and very few foes usually spawn.

This has nothing to do with your mods. It is the same in unmodded BG:EE.

There are several reasons why I still prefer to play EasyTutu instead of BG:EE (e.g. more mods, less bugs, etc.), but the main one is that I really don't like the spawning system in the Enhanced Edition. It may be close to vanilla, but it is still too weak for me.

Recently, for a mod, I tested the Firewine Ruins in both Tutu and BG:EE and there was the same difference between walking in a hell infested by countless kobolds and a relaxing stroll in the park :)
  • GraypGrayp Member Posts: 16
    Wow, I cannot believe that's an accepted change with Enhanced Edition! Is there no mod out there to fix this? (and I say fix because I think this is just broken... intended or otherwise)
    Grayp said:

Is there no mod out there to fix this?

No, that I'm aware of.
    Grayp said:

I say fix because I think this is just broken... intended or otherwise

Technically it isn't broken, because they were trying to reproduce the original vanilla BG1 behaviour, but I still think it is wrong, because you can't just use the BG2 engine with all the new classes and kits, new spells, some new overpowered items, etc. and keep the old spawning system like it was in the original BG1. The resulting game is imho unbalanced.
    I see, so vanilla BG1 also had small packs or single monsters and Tutu made these multiple because of BG2 style? (Sorry for all the questions, I actually have played with Tutu but it was ages ago).
    Grayp said:

I see, so vanilla BG1 also had small packs or single monsters and Tutu made these multiple because of BG2 style? (Sorry for all the questions, I actually have played with Tutu but it was ages ago).

Yes, to be fair the spawning system in Tutu is the more extreme of all.

I'm not very familiar with BGT, but I believe its spawning system was also weaker than Tutu, but I don't know how it compares with vanilla, but at least it had mods like this.
    Ahh, right, well thanks a ton for all the background info, much appreciated!

Lets hope that this gets a mod at some point :)