Skip to content

Problem with one the of shops. :/

jahes64jahes64 Member Posts: 177
Hi everyone
At "Waukeen's Promenade" there is a shop which has two shopmen in it, with names of "Arnolinus" and "perter".
Whenever i take something from one of the crates, they shout "Thief" and flee then two "Amnian Legendary" appear which seem to be invulnerable. :\
I thought charming them may help (like in BG1EE) so i charmed "Arnolinus" with "Charm person or mammal" ability of Jaheira. Then i tried to charm the latter one but since i have had no other charm ability memorized, i went to one of the inns and rested there to memorize some other charm spells and renew "Charm person or mammal" ability of Jaheira. When i returned to charm the other one, i saw that, that shopman that i had charmed earlier, is hostile and quickly leaves, which makes me unable to buy anything from him. i could charm him again before his escape, iF i was fast enough, but after sometimes, he would go hostile again which wasn't the case at BG1EE.
And i have to say that after these events that made one of the shopmen to become hostile, if i rob any of the crates, 5 "Amnian Legendary" and 2 "cowled enforcer" appear instead of 2 "Amnian Legendary"! :\

1.How may i correct this issue and prevent "Arnolinus" to become hostile again?
2.is there any other way to rob the shop without having to face these boring guys and losing the opportunity to buy items from shopmen (in addition to losing reputation, i suppose)?
3.How may i defeat these legendary and cowled guys if i have to?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Post edited by jahes64 on

Comments

• styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    1. Reload.
    2. No, possibly if you feeblemind them and then dispel it afterwards, untested though.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2014
    I don't see what the problem is or why its an issue. You are stealing from the merchants while you are in their shop. Even if you are just taking from one of the tables (in other words not one of the locked containers) it would pretty logically still be theft in the eyes of a merchant.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Once the Charm Person spell wears off, ANYTHING you have charmed will turn hostile. People really don't like having magic hurled at them.

The stealing thing is meant to happen, as Elminster says, you did just steal from their shop right in front of them. The shelves at my local store aren't locked but that doesn't mean I can put their contents into my bag. ;)

If you're going to charm to steal things be prepared to not be using them as a shop keeper again. :)

• xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    One of the most hilarious posts ever!

"The shopkeeper doesn't like me stealing his stuff. How can I make him a) not care and b) willing to do business with me afterwards?"
  • nosecretnosecret Member Posts: 92
    edited August 2014
    Similar to stygga's post:

1) reload
    2) you don't per se, but if there's something you REALLY can't live without (which I don't think is the case in any shopkeepers' chests/crates/tables), you can do the following

1: When you have the money, buy (or steal) everything of value from BOTH vendors
    2: charm or otherwise disable the vendors
    3: haste party and be ready to bail
    4: loot the containers
    5: wait for legionnaires to spawn
    6: immediately exit the shop (EDIT) and get out of sight

it can be done, but I think you'll find the preparation investment to actually be able to pull this off is far outweighed by the lack of value gained doing so.

3) you _can_ defeat the legionnaires, but the reputation loss (unless you need your rep lowered) is not worth it.

Insofar as the cowled wizards - if they're showing up, there's a distinct possibility you are doing more than one illegal thing. Figure out what is triggering the cowled wizards to show up (hint: their charter is not to enforce the law on thievery), then seek a solution to THAT problem.
  • jahes64jahes64 Member Posts: 177
    @xzar_monty
    Haha. You guys take things so seriously. This is a game and stealing feature is in there to be used. We may get most of those items by buying them anyway, but if we steal them right away in the game, that make things faster and easier.
    i wouldn't steal anything in the real life, i just do it in the games to advance faster rather than later.

in the first game, i always used a certain cloak on everyone i wanted to distract. But it didn't transfer to the second game. i thought in the first game, charm spells had similar effect to that of that cloak but it seems that i was wrong and that cloak was special! And all charm spells make people hostile after expiration of their duration!

is there any other way of charming people in BGiiEE which doesn't make them hostile afterwards? is there any special item in BGiiEE that acts like that cloak?

@nosecret
    Thanks for your explanation. But i am afraid, "reload" does nothing, as i have saved the game right BEFORE entering the shop, and after entering they go hostile and flee without any further provokation from my side.
    edited August 2014
    That same cloak is indeed in BG2 (ironically, in a shop). I meant reload from way before you attempted to charm them the first time.
    @nosecret
    My previous save is from a very earlier stage of the game, so this is not an option for me.
    Do you remember in BG2EE where may i get that cloak from?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2014
    Gorch in the docks district (who is in Mae'Var's Guildhall)
    @elminster
    Thanks for the answer.
    edited August 2014
    jahes64 said:

@nosecret
    My previous save is from a very earlier stage of the game, so this is not an option for me.
    Do you remember in BG2EE where may i get that cloak from?

We always say "save early and save often", but we never explain that.

Everyone gets a feel for it, but as a general rule, I usually:

When I get ready to "transition" or take a potentially large-impact/strategic action (ex: leaving/entering an area, opening a door, about to uncover what obviously looks to be a large room, before "using" an interactable object like a switch or a blue NPC while in a dungeon, talking to a blue-circled enemy like firkraag, or right after buffing up before a fight), create a named save point.

When taking tactical actions (clearing a hallway a squad of enemies at a time, tossing that Skull Trap at blue-named firkraag, attempting to untrap a container, or charming a merchant, hehehe), make a quick save.

"... Bondari reloads" indeed.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    stygga said:

2. No, possibly if you feeblemind them and then dispel it afterwards, untested though.

That won't work. Their reaction is being caused by a trap script on the container itself. So no matter what you do to them, you'll end up getting the same thing happening.