Skip to content

Archdruid

SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Hi, can you slightly improve the Archdruid that lives in the treehouse (in the area before Clockwood Mines).
I find it pretty disturbing that a supposedly high lvl npc like him casts just few ridicolous spells... ;/

Comments

• MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Now I thought this was a request to implement archdruidry PnP style ;).

Improving creatures is probably best left to mods in my opinion, and has already been done in the BG1 NPC Project, Sword Coast Stratagems and Dark Side of the Sword Coast mods, just to name a few.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Well, ofc. That's why I said "slightly" :)
    Just to match more closely to his rank.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Due to the restrictions imposed on the team, changing existing content is difficult if not impossible. As Miloch has said, it is best left to modders. :)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Sounds like a good change to me.
    Actually, I might be persuaded to agree with this. Now that I look at it, I only did something with Andarthe, which is BG1 NPC's own archdruid, with PnP archdruid abilities. I did change Amarande locally but never put my changes anywhere (was going to put it in some other mod, as BG1 NPC is more about dialogue than stats and abilities).

The problem is that BG1 druid opponents are pathetically implemented, largely due to script assignments. They get low-level cleric scripts, i.e. priest2.bcs for Takiyah and Izefia who are 7th level druids. Seniyad has no proper script, but forces about 3 spells in a row (4 really, but dunno if forcing Spiritual Hammer at an enemy works since its target should be the druid). Amarande fares little better, getting priest3.bcs, which might be sufficient for a 3rd level cleric, but not an archdruid. This is a sort of oversight I think, since BG1 doesn't really have any proper druid scripts. The closest thing is perhaps priest4.bcs. Amarande should probably get a custom script, since the treehouse is only suitable for certain spells (Call Lightning is out because it's "indoors", Entangle is probably out because there's not enough room in the treehouse). So you could almost phrase this as a bug report - might get more notice than a feature request.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I wouldn't mind a bug report with the title "Bug - Archdruid fights and dies like a pansy, not like an Archdruid".

Because really, for the Grand Master of the Cloakwoods he is a total pushover, high armour class, no reinforcements, crappy spells. It doesn't help that the entire party is right next to him when the fight starts, either. Changing his script to something competent has a hearty "ya-har!" from me.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    He should use a magic twig (or something) that teleports everyone into a forest. From there he can use all the epic druid spells, summon loads of animals to help him and make him not be a a total pushover. I see now this is lack of foresight (and suitable scripts) and thus could and should be considered a bug. I have changed my tune @SpaceInvader
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I admit that as an Archdruid I'd rather see his battle be all like :

Archdruid : "Imma firin' mah lazooor!!"
    PC : "Wha--"
    Archdruid : "WAAAH!" *PC asplodes*

But seriously, adding 2 spells would be sufficient to make it the hardest fight in the game - Iron Skins and Insect Plagues. Poor parties then :'(
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited August 2012
    Give him all 4 animal spirits from the BG2 Totemic Druid too.
    One of the better suggestions I saw (or came up with, can't recall now) was to have him force Call Woodland Beings as soon as he goes hostile (or we could even have him already have cast it since he's probably seen the party coming a mile away). That way, you're up against at least two casters (him and a nymph) and whatever other summons they can come up with. I don't know how practical a fire elemental conjuring is in a treehouse (unless he's fireproofed it somehow) but I could see him conjuring an earth elemental.
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    edited August 2012
    Transporting the party outdoors for the fight would be interesting as is adding a script for druids.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    I'm happy you also think so ;)
    Plus, since nothing force Charname to storm in, rape his animals and pillage his tree-house, it wouldn't mess up the plot.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @SpaceInvader BG1 NPC Project may force you under certain circumstances.