Skip to content

How exactly does "SAVEVSSPELL" work?

BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
I understand the basic concept, what I don't understand is how the values work. Does a higher number mean that an enemy stands a better chance of shrugging off a spell, or is it a lower one that is more effective for that sort of thing? And does the same values apply to the other saving throws, like Wand, Poison etc.?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CrevsDaakAstroBryGuyelminster
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

(Right?)

I hope you're not asking me, I haven't a clue. I'll look at the AI script I'm tinkering with the see if that makes sense. It sounds good at any rate.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I'm not so sure you did. Either that or the author of the eSeries scripts didn't get it right. Looking at his values, it doesn't seem to jive with your idea. I can't quite put my finger on it right now though as I'm busy doing other things with the script.
    Well I figured it out. Lower numbers mean a better chances of saving. I compared the values of a Lich to a Kobold Commander. The Kobold had much higher values all around for saving throws compared to the Lich, especially when it came to spells.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

I believe you need to roll above the number, on a d20, in order to shrug off the spell. So lower numbers are better - it's easier to roll above them. Saving throw bonuses are added to the roll, and penalties are subtracted, making it easier or harder (respectively) to make the save.

(Right?)

Yep. That's how saving throws work.
    CrevsDaak
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I believe you need to roll above the number, on a d20, in order to shrug off the spell. So lower numbers are better - it's easier to roll above them. Saving throw bonuses are added to the roll, and penalties are subtracted, making it easier or harder (respectively) to make the save.

(Right?)

Yes. You can check out information on this on page 18 of manual 2.
    CrevsDaak