Skip to content

Dragon Age Origins Crashing issue

EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
So I've tried extensively searching the internet, posted on reddit, the DAO forums, the steam forums and nobody can help me at all

I'm running windows 8 and I bought Dragon Age Origins 2 months ago. It worked fine when I bought it and recently it simply crashing upon launch and says "Dragon Age has stopped working"

I tried verifying the cache files in steam and it actually was able to launch the game once, then when I checked back the next day to play it the same issue came back and it kept crashing. Verifying it again did nothing. Re-installing the game did nothing. My hardware is all up to date.

This is basically my last ditch effort to see if anybody has had this issue with the game before. It sucks I haven't been able to play a game I bought and should easily meet the requirements. It's just simply stunning that there isn't a proper solution online, it seems to be a common problem.

Any help is great thanks

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    It could potentially be Xfire. It's been giving me startup crashes in several steam games the last couple of months. The solution for me has been to disable the in-game interface; it seems the two overlays won't play nice together. Might be because I'm still using the old client though rather than the "new" beta one, since I use that version on the craptop and I haven't had said crashing issues there.

I've also had a lot of in-game crashes with DA:O in the past but those were mainly ATi related. After switching to Nvidia those problems evaporated.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    If it worked fine when you first got it, one of my suggestions would be what I suggest for BG:EE—rename the folder with your saved games and such (can't remember, is it in Documents, %AppData%, or the game directory? It was in the Documents directory for the Character Creator way back, so I assume there) and then relaunch the game.

Other than that, did you update any of your drivers in the time between the purchase and now?
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    I figured it out by myself!

Vanilla Windows 8 is the cause for the crashing. I should of thought of it earlier but after I updated to 8.1 the game launches fine.

Pretty silly I didn't think of it sooner
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Oh wow it actually was XFire. Totally thought it was Windows 8.1 that did it but upon further research XFire detection was the actual problem

Thank you @Silverstar