Skip to content

The Adventures of Gaspar: The Prequel-Sequel (ctrl+q playthrough)

FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
In which we shall see how many scripts we can ruin by brainwashing friends and foes alike.

@Elrandir wanted to see Gaspar's adventures from up and down the Sword Coast and I had been contemplating doing this ever since I finished BG2EE with Gaspar.

Once again (or is it the first time?), the rules are the same. Ctrl+Q forces a creature to join your party. In this playthrough, there will be 5 creatures plus CHARNAME in a party. If one dies in combat, they will not be raised and instead will be replaced with other random creatures. I'll try not to force bosses into the party, as tempting as that may be, for the sake of what little balance there will probably be in this playthrough. And to increase the diversity of party members, and to save myself equipment headaches, brainwashed allies will stick with only what they have.

There are only three mods in use that are relevant to this playthrough:
BG2Tweaks
Rogue Rebalancing
aTweaks

From back before he had greater aspirations, I present to you once again: the irresistible, charming, and still very much handsome Gaspar!
Just keep pretending he's human alright?

Episode 1: Humble Beginnings

I guess I should've been taking more screenshots, given that this is important to the beginning of a new playthrough. Buuuut I forgot about that for a while because I stole a Star Sapphire from the Candlekeep Inn and sold it for a thousand gold!! 25 CHA is going to REALLY come in handy in BG1! Oh yeah, and Firebead Elvenhair "offered" to join me after I gave him his Identify scroll back.

As we wandered about doing menial chores for the residents of Candlekeep, the first attempt on my life was made by Shank! He was quickly dispatched by a Magic Missile from Firebead. He only has a few spells at his disposal however.

Next I performed the trope popularized by Baldur's Gate and made customary by other WRPGs: rat-stomping!

Picture theme song: Weird Al Yankovic's "Weasel Stomping Day"

As thanks for a job well done, Reevor joined us.

The second attempt on my life was made by Carbos, who shared the same fate as his cohort Shank: a magic missile in the face!

Our other chores went by without incident, so I got Hull and Fuller to join us. Fuller gave me a +1 dagger!

Under Gorion's guiding hands, we all left Candlekeep. But during the night, we were ambushed by a huge armored man and his group of bandits! Thanks to my elven cat-like reflexes, I managed to avoid getting stuck with poisonous arrows. As I looked back, a lightning bolt struck the earth and I saw Gorion viciously slashed with the fiend's sword, crumpling to the ground!

The dawn was especially cruel that morning. Our party of five told Imoen to get lost. I had all the friends I would need on the Sword Coast. Hint: its everyone.

Comments

• lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Super! Gaspar is back:)
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    "I am Gaspar, hypnotist extraordinaire."
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Fun!
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    This is pretty much required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3A9AiLt9nw
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @Sergio‌ I'd be inclined to say no, but for some of the "normal" NPCs, then maybe. For instance, I could see a random... dwarf cleric (random example) that you meet being able to level. A creature? Not likely.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Well the playthrough is on hiatus until I can muster the willpower to continue playing through it. It was much more fun to do in BG2.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @Flashburn‌

I guess you can just read any of @Blackraven‌ 's playthroughs to get the willpower.

I'm actually amazed BG1 feels less fun. To many of the forumites, it's the other way round.

What can be more funnier than to travel with Larry, Darryl & Darryl in one party!