Skip to content

Script Customization Window String Error

AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
As @Dee suggested here, I'm making a bug report for a possible issue I've discovered in the latest beta.

Observed behavior: the script customization window has the selected character's biography printed instead of the individual script names and many of the script descriptions. See the screenshot below.

Additional information: the particular party where I experience this issue (across all characters) was initially started in multiplayer and then copied over to single player.

I've uploaded the save file below:

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Adul, loading your save game up in v1.2 results in the same issue. Taking a look at the SAV file, it becomes clear why. The TOH file is filled with those overriding strings. More information would be needed before something like that could be reported.

Ideally, you would also need to try and replicate this issue on a 'standard' game, not a game copied from multiplayer to single player (I think some engine functions change between single player and multiplayer).

A few details on the when and how.
    • First of all, when did you start this game; was it when the beta update was released or was it a 1.2 game copied to 1.3?
    • When did you notice this first?
    • Was it immediate when you first started the game, or was it at the point when you made the save game?
    • Did you try to assign scripts earlier and everything was fine?
    Next thing is how: since most of these overriding strings are from the biography, did you edit the biography in any way? Did you go to the biography page at all (if so, at what point)?
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Troodon80 said:

First of all, when did you start this game; was it when the beta update was released or was it a 1.2 game copied to 1.3?

The creation of the game and the event of me noticing the bug both occurred in the same beta version. (The latest one at the time when I created this forum thread.)
    Troodon80 said:

When did you notice this first?

Before going down into the Nashkel Mines, at the Gnoll Stronghold, in the xvart cavern closest to the bottom-left corner of the area.
    Troodon80 said:

Was it immediate when you first started the game, or was it at the point when you made the save game?
    Did you try to assign scripts earlier and everything was fine?

That was the first time I tried to assign script with that party, so I don't know if the issue was present before that point.
    Troodon80 said:

Next thing is how: since most of these overriding strings are from the biography, did you edit the biography in any way? Did you go to the biography page at all (if so, at what point)?

I had not edited the biographies of any of the characters in the party.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited August 2014
    Try the following:

1. Start a new multiplayer game with any number of characters
    2. Immediately save the game to a unique file name like "Biography Issue"
    3. Quit the game, then move the game to single player
    4. Load the save in Single Player
    5. Immediately save the game to a unique file name, "Biography Issue 2"
    6. Load "Biography Issue 2"
    7. Check the Scripts screen

You could also check the Scripts screen after step 5 to see if it occurs there. I haven't tried this myself, but on the list of things that could have altered your .sav file's handling of scripts, I'd wager it's the migration from multiplayer to single player (and saving there).

EDIT: I just tried it using only one character (the Abdel pregen) and the problem didn't occur, so either there's more to it than just moving the save to single player, or it's unrelated entirely.
    I can't seem to reproduce it, but maybe this could help: I'll upload all of the save files I've made with that particular party in BG1. They're 5 different saves scattered to different points of the game, from the very first moment of being in Candlekeep (that is the actual save file I've moved over from multiplayer) to just before entering the undercity temple to kill Sarevok. As far as I can tell, the issue is present in all 5 of the saves.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Did you make all of those characters from Character Arbitration, or were any of them existing characters that you imported?
    As I recall I've made them all on the spot when creating the MP game.
    @Adul @Dee, I've tried every which way with no success.
    1. Importing a full six character party from those saved games.
    2. Starting the game and saving it.
    3. Moving it to single player.
    4. Saving in single player.
    5. Switching the first and second character around.
    6. Re-saving.

1. Importing a full six character party from those saved games.
    2. Removing one character.
    3. Reimporting.
    4. Starting the game and saving it.
    5. Moving it to single player.
    6. Saving in single player.
    7. Switching the first and second character around.
    8. Re-saving.

1. Importing a full six character party with your saved game and looking at the biography on each(*).
    2. Starting the game and saving it.
    3. Moving it to single player.
    4. Saving.
    5. Switching the first and second character.
    6. Re-saving.

1. Starting a new multiplayer game with six fresh characters (not importing).
    2. Saving.
    3. Move to single player
    4. Saving.
    5. Moving first and second characters around.
    6. Saving.

1. Starting a new multiplayer game with six fresh characters (not importing).
    2. Examining the biography for each during character creation.
    3. Starting the game and saving it.
    4. Moving to single player.
    5. Loading and saving.
    6. Moving the first and second characters around.
    7. Saving again.

1. Starting a game with all pre-generated characters by using the 'Play' button on each.
    2. Saving once the game begins.
    3. Loading into single player.
    4. Saving again.
    5. Changing first and second character around.
    6. Saving again.
    I cannot seem to replicate the behaviour. Note that I've tried double what I have shown above, each attempt was followed by an 'exit game completely and then load single player game' and a 'return to menu without exiting game completely and load'.

* During the test, I noticed that the biographies for every character other than the first all show this, regardless of class or kit.
    Inspired by your foster father's knowledge of the magical arts, you have made especially productive use of your library home. You have pored over the vast, if often inaccessible, treasury of magical lore and learned as much as you can. Gorion has been kind enough to instruct you in the basics, but he seems a touch overly concerned about your safety. You know, however, that experience could teach you so much more, and you yearn to travel as a journeyman mage.
    Aside from that, it looks like they've all been given their own unique reserved space.
    Troodon80 said:

Moving the first and second characters around.

As you mentioned that, I remembered that I actually reassigned my characters' formation slots pretty heavily, shifting my first character down to the sixth slot and everyone else up a slot. Then I tried to reproduce the issue by doing the same thing:

1. Create MP game with 6 newly made (not imported) characters
    2. Save game as: "test0"
    3. Shift the first character down to the sixth slot and everyone other character up by one slot
    4. Save game as: "test1"
    5. Exit game and copy both saves "test0" and "test1" over to single player

Unfortunately, I couldn't reproduce the issue this way. Both saves were normal, and the script customization panel had the proper string values in both.
    @Adul, I noticed from the saved games you provided that, at the very least, the first and second characters were switched—that's why I made sure to mention what I tried. I also tried swapping them around randomly, 6 to 1, 2 to 4, 5 to 3, etc., saving between each switch, but to no avail.

Make sure to keep your eye on that in case it happens again, and make a note of what happened, what you did, and when—no matter how small the detail. I'll keep trying on my end, but it looks like there's something else going on here. I would ask how many custom portraits you have, but I am not sure it would make any difference. I'll add a bunch anyway and try again. Are there any other customisations you've made? Sound sets, for example?
    Yes, I was exclusively using custom portraits and sound sets for all of the characters in this party.

I'll keep an eye out and let you guys know if I find anything like this happening again.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I've got this happening once or twice but actually I was never able to reproduce it at will.