Skip to content

Most broken character??

KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
Hey guys. Just wanted to know if this worked in EE (it worked in the original BGI)

Human Fighter (heck, Berserker or Kensai make this even better!)

Go to level 7, with **** in any weapon. Suggestions include Quarterstaff, Scimitar, Long Sword. The other ** go into the appropriate fighting style.

Dual Class to Thief.

When you reach level 8 as a Thief, you can get ***** in your chosen weapon.

If you only plan on playing BGI, this is the best Fighter I can think of. Importing to BGII changes the game, of course. With Grandmastery in a weapon, you have a better combatant than a single classed Fighter.

Does this still work?

TIA

Comments

• KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Or (similar concept), do the same but dual to Mage. This works best with scimitar, IMHO.

Problem is you need to stay at 5th level Mage and not level-up until 8th level Mage (or the proficiency you get at level 6 will need to go into a Mage weapon) which seriously gimps the character for a long time. You'd better have a strong party around this guy!

FTR: I've never tested this one. It would be interesting to see if it works though!!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2014
    Klorox said:

Hey guys. Just wanted to know if this worked in EE (it worked in the original BGI)

Go to level 7, with **** in any weapon. Suggestions include Quarterstaff, Scimitar, Long Sword. The other ** go into the appropriate fighting style.

Dual Class to Thief.

If you only plan on playing BGI, this is the best Fighter I can think of. Importing to BGII changes the game, of course. With Grandmastery in a weapon, you have a better combatant than a single classed Fighter.

Does this still work?

TIA

It works but its quite a bit of down time by BG1 standards. I don't really think its worth it frankly.

You can also do the same thing with a fighter - > druid, though you'll need to have a serious roll to pull that off. If nothing else this comes with the benefit of giving you Iron Skins eventually.
    jackjackJuliusBorisovkjdbaldursCrevsDaak
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Yep, Fighter dual-classes are pretty absurdly strong (Fighter7 or Fighter13 for optimum power).
    The Kensai>Thief will eventually gain Use Any Item as a HLA, allowing them to use armour too...

Personally though I find all dual-classing pretty tedious as you end up waiting half the game or XP farming to get the character you really want...
    jackjackBelgarathMTHElrandirKlorox
  • ArdulArdul Member Posts: 211
    Definitely some nameless opponent that I chunked.
    JuliusBorisovBlackravenMeanbunny
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Volo's mind is likely broken by drink.
    the_spyderBlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    jackjack said:

Volo's mind is likely broken by drink.

Or is it not enough drink?
    jackjackthe_spyderJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTH
    On a serious note, half-elf Wizard Slayers are pretty damn broken.

Broken like your poor mother's heart when she found out her precious Bhaalspawn child was gonna be a Half-elf Wizard Slayer.
    SethDavisBlackravenJuliusBorisovElrandir
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    What if you went to level 7 as a fighter, and then dual-classed to a thief, and leveled up to 3. And then, didn't level up again until you reach enough XP to hit level 8! If you did that would you be able to apply TWO weapon proficiencies as a fighter?
    Yes, iirc (no guarantee!) once they let you out of the Sanitarium, you'd be able to use those as fighter profs.
    JuliusBorisovElrandir
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Klorox said:

Dual Class to Thief.

Does this still work?

TIA

You can actually achieve GM by dualing a fighter at level 3 to thief. If you are only playing BG1, that makes more sense to me. It gets you GM a lot earlier than waiting until fighter level 7.
    BlackravenKloroxjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    I think a swashbuckler5->fighter8 would be the best melee fighter build for BG1. You lose GM over the F7->T8, but the swash bonus to thac0, damage and AC are pretty nice, and the dual time is not so long (42.000xp). Very good combo for dual wield or 2 handed style, since the +2AC bonus cope with the lack of a shield. He also could take care of set traps and detect illusion abilities with no need to remove his full plate, while the party's thief could handle the other thieving duties.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    JLee said:

Klorox said:

Dual Class to Thief.

Does this still work?

TIA

You can actually achieve GM by dualing a fighter at level 3 to thief. If you are only playing BG1, that makes more sense to me. It gets you GM a lot earlier than waiting until fighter level 7.
    This is exactly what I do with Shar-teel on evil playthroughs, the only problem is that she doesnt start with 2 in any weapon, so she cant master a weapon. Still a very versatile build.

If I am going to the sequel I like to get to level 7 for the thac0 and extra attack, if I solo or have a small party I can get to Buldars gate around 7, then go thief and sort of get trained by the bg guild. Its anything but tedious playing through the rest of the game as a high hp thief!
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    JLee said:

Klorox said:

Dual Class to Thief.

Does this still work?

TIA

Oh, it's definitely faster with a level 3 Fighter, and you have a more effective character for most of the game.

But as for the end-game versions, the Fighter 7 has more HP, a better THAC0, and more ApR (and an extra Rage, if you chose Berserker).