Skip to content

New Gaming Laptop

OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
Well as some of you might know life threw me a curve ball to the face and I now need a new laptop. Thing is I've been surviving with a HP My-First-Computer that was 4 years old. Now that I have some actual money to spend I'd like to get a moderately powerful gaming laptop. Any recommendations? I've been looking at the stuff from ASUS and although my inner geek glees whenever I look at it my inner miser just throws a fit. I know Alienware is good but they tend to overcharge.
lolien

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    My recommendation is to buy a desktop for gaming and a much cheaper laptop for mobile needs. A $800 desktop beats a $2000 laptop...
    elminsterlolien
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I'm not anywhere near being expert on the topic, but I recently started doing research for upgrading my PC, and as such, I have something to say.

First of all, please be specific about your needs. It'll be a gaming laptop, alright. But what games are you going to play and what results you'll expect? Or maybe you'll be doing something other beside playing games, like using graphical programs etc? State concretely what do you expect, so that people could help you more precisely. You'll basicaly need more RAM to using, for example, Photoshop without drawbacks, than just to play games.

Second, it will be wise from you to start similar thread in other forums that are dedicated to computer software and hardware. There will be more people into the topic, and your feedback is going to be wider. Making the topic here is also a good decision, of course, because I'm sure at least few people will be able to help you.

Next, if, by a chance you expect newest games to work smoothly in high/ultra settings, then I recommend PC instead of laptop for gaming. Because (at least where I live) PCs are cheaper than laptops in general, and because of that you'll be able to buy something with more power with the same price. But ask yourself if you really will use all that power. One of my friends has bought himself a very powerful computer, and he can't use it's power to the fullest extent. Basically, he bought something more expensive than he needed.

I don't know how much of a matter it is, but Intel processors works very well with GeForce graphic cards. Or so I kept hearing.

Finally, when buying yourself new laptop/PC/whatever for gaming, be sure to remember about good cooling system.
    OneAngryMushroomlolien
    @ZelgadisGW‌ Good post but the Intel/nVidia thing is a myth.

Thanks for stating this out. By the way, what graphic cards will you recommend for using with Intel processor? I want my future new PC to work smoothly for Witcher 3.

Thanks for stating this out. By the way, what graphic cards will you recommend for using with Intel processor? I want my future new PC to work smoothly for Witcher 3.
    AFAIK the game isn't coming out in months so if you want to upgrade just for Witcher 3, I would recommend waiting for now until we have more information and possibly new hardware releases.
    @FinneousPJ‌
    I am aware of that, I don't play to upgrade my PC before february. I was just asking "if Intel + nVidia is not optimal mix, what is?"
    Oh, I'm sorry. There is no optimal mix of brands or whatever, you just want to buy the best value for money unit in your budget.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    Well @ZelgadisGW‌ said I needed to be more specific. I've looked around some and I can have a PC. I want something powerful enough to play most games on higher settings and is able to double as a work and general use computer.
    lolien

Well @ZelgadisGW‌ said I needed to be more specific. I've looked around some and I can have a PC. I want something powerful enough to play most games on higher settings and is able to double as a work and general use computer.

I can't say more than that stationary PC would be better and cheaper for the job. But that's just me.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I'm not the most tech savvy and this is probably useless, but I wait for a Dell sale and go with them. They can be like cheap and good and stuff.