Skip to content

Songs for bards to sing when bard songs sung!

meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
Alright, I'm pretty sure this is would be very low on the priorities list, especially with IWD:EE going on, but I would like actual songs for bards to sing when you activate bard song. Nothing big, really(though I wouldn't turn it down) just a short loop, maybe 30 seconds, to play when you activate bard song. Different loops for different songs would be great. Something inspiring for the default bard, something crazy and loopy for the jester, and something powerful for the skald.
All we have now is this pathetic little harp-sounding noise, and it's kinda sad. But the fact we have that little noise at all makes me think it wouldn't be that hard. My non-coder logic dictates all you would have to do is change the file so it made a different noise. I would even need to have original music. Just pull out some dusty classical stuff old enough to have no copyright baggage. Ride of the Valkyries comes to mind, but that might be to popular.
I'm sure it will be more complicated than that, but whatever.
@CrevsDaak‌ @Tresset is this something easily modded in? Could you explain the inevitable complications?

Other people I think might like the idea and might even have suggestions for above-mentioned "dusty classical stuff":
@BelgarathMTH‌ @Quartz‌ @jackjack‌

Also, I'm *pretty* sure this thread hasn't already been made. Whatever; two threads are better than one anyway:)

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    You could do this, yes, but I don't think it would be easy. Right now I am sleepy, put maybe tomorrow i'll have an idea for a workround.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    CrevsDaak said:

You could do this, yes, but I don't think it would be easy. Right now I am sleepy, put maybe tomorrow i'll have an idea for a workround.

Cool. The easy sounding stuff is always hard, isn't it?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2014
    I'm flattered, but I really don't know jack (heheh) about that type of music. So I'm no help. Thanks anyway :P For what it's worth, I am fond of your idea!
    Quartz said:

I'm flattered, but I really don't know jack (heheh) about that type of music. So I'm no help. Thanks anyway :P For what it's worth, I am fond of your idea!

Well, you did have that dining thread, so I thought it was worth a shot. And I though you might like it anyway. Feature requests need all the help they can get;)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Hmm, it's an interesting idea, but I can see some problems in executing it as far as game play. For one, you wouldn't want to use a full orchestra clip or anything with electronic instruments, because that would break immersion, I think. The bard is supposed to be creating the song effect during combat in one of these ways:

1) Voice alone.

2) A period appropriate stringed instrument that can be strapped around the shoulders - lute, guitar, or lyre. Using a stringed instrument in combat opens up all the usual questions about how the bard is supposed to fight with a rapier or use a bow while holding the instrument. That's probably why BG rules have the bard unable to perform any other action than singing and/or playing if the song is being used.

3) Voice and stringed instrument together.

4) A flute, bugle, or horn.

5) A drum alone, or two drums strapped to either side of the waist and played with the palms of the hands. There is an IWD portrait showing a shamanistic bard doing this.

6) Voice and drum together.

It wouldn't be impossible to find some samples of each of these things, but it would need to be no longer than 2 or 3 seconds, I would think, else it would distract from game play, especially if the player switches the bard from singing to combat actions frequently. Also, if you wanted to hear your bard continually or for a lengthy track when he or she is performing during combat, you would have a problem with that track playing together with the regular music soundtrack, for some very chaotic and distracting sounds.

Another issue is that there are going to be lots of conflicting opinions about what exact music the bard performs. If you pick a more elaborate track or sound file that some people really like, lots of other people are going to really hate it.

So, it's a nice, creative idea, but I think I'm pretty happy with the little harp strum that we get. I actually bought a small lap harp and learned to play it a little, because I like that sound and wanted to see what it would feel like to play it. Would you believe I actually carried that harp around my living room once and practiced alternating strumming it and then drawing an imaginary rapier and striking while still carrying the harp? I found it almost doable, but I think it would slow me down too much in real combat to have that heavy harp in my off hand.
    @BelgarathMTH‌ good point about the full orchestra I hadn't thought of it that way. With that in consideration, I think original music would probably go best, that would also minimize the controversy over what they should play. I don't think it playing over the battle music would be to difficult, just have it fade out gently. Also, cool story about the lap harp. I don't know that one could fight and strum very effectively, however. And I don't see any instrument lasting long in a battle.