Skip to content

[Mac] Game crashes when joining multiplayer game

After updating to 1.3 today my game crashes as soon as I click the "Join" button when trying to join a multiplayer game. I've been playing with a friend for the past year and we never had this problem before this update.
I tried rebooting my computer and tried joining four times, crashed every time. We also tried to remove the password required to join to no difference.

I'm using a mid-2010 15'' MacBook Pro running OS X 10.9.4.
My friend is running the Steam client on Windows 8.1.
Both games are updated to 1.3.

I have included the crash log generated by OS X if it can be of any help.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Does it crash immediately when you click Join, or does it freeze first?
  • EitttlaneEitttlane Member Posts: 8
    First three attempts it crashed immediately. After rebooting it froze for 2-5 seconds (the OS X loading-icon appeared instead of the mouse pointer) before crashing.
    And I'm assuming that you're playing through Beamdog, correct?

Can you each try renaming your Baldur.ini files to, say, Baldur1.ini and then try? That will set both your games to default settings. If it still crashes then, let me know.
    Yes that is correct.
    Thank you! We will try this as soon as possible. I'll report back wether it worked or not.

I'm really hoping this is some problem on our end and not with the update itself.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed. If it *is* something wrong in the update then that's bad, but we should be able to figure out why it's happening. If it's something on your end, then we should be able to help you get back in and playing.

Are you hosting, or is your friend on Steam? The Steam version's executable was renamed, so that could be messing around with their firewall.
    We've been able to do some tests now but I'm sad to say that my game still crashed when I tried to join. My friend is the one hosting.

However, we did some additional tests:

- I tried joining another random game which wasn't password protected, my game still crashed.
    - I hosted a new game. My friend was able to join and we were able to start the game.
    - He sent me our save files, I hosted a game using them and he could join and we were able to start the game.

Also worth mentioning that other players can join his game since a random player joined when he tried hosting a game without password protection.
    So as far as I can tell, there is either a problem with the Mac client or something on my end.
    That definitely helps narrow things down.

Can you access your computer's firewall settings? If so, see if you can add an exception to allow Baldur's Gate through it.
    Moving this thread to Troubleshooting.
    The game was already added as an exception to my firewall so I tried disabling both my computers and my routers firewalls. Still crashes.

The game also crashes if I enter an incorrect password to join. The exact same behavior, crash as soon as I click join.

Would reinstalling the game be something worth trying at this point?
    Back up your saves and characters first, but yes, I would try that next.

I'll also give it a shot on my own Macbook Air and see if I can reproduce the problem there.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I had this happening on me when 1.3 was still in beta (and seems like ti continues happening), and I reported it in the Road to 1.3 thread, too.

Besides, it also happens if you don't have a Firewall on.

I can reproduce as many times as I want, seems like it happens all the time.
  • dodododo Member Posts: 1
    Just installed the game today. Crashing from mac when trying to join the game, too.
    I can confirm that re-installing the game does not fix the issue.
    And I can confirm it happening on my own Macbook Air. We'll work on getting this fixed.
    Thanks for being so helpful and for replying so quickly!
    Hopefully this will be fixed soon. Meanwhile, my friend and I should be able to keep playing with me hosting instead of him.
    Yeah, it's a good thing Mac can host at least. And knowing exactly how to reproduce it helps a lot toward fixing the problem.
    If you have access to the Mac beta, there's a fix for it there. Try it out, let me know if you encounter any problems. We'll do some testing on this side too before releasing it.
    edited September 2014
    @Dee‌ the game hangs when you join a session, but after some time it finally joins well, it doesn't crash anymore.
    How long does it hang? That could be an issue with your connection; for me it connects almost instantly with the fix.
    @Eitttlane‌ We're pushing the fix live now; grab the update and check it out.
    Dee said:

How long does it hang? That could be an issue with your connection; for me it connects almost instantly with the fix.

It hang'd for around a minute. It wasn't only the connection, but it could have been, since the game was shown as not responding by Activity Monitor while it was hang'd.
    @Dee Happy to say that everything is up and running again after the update and that we've been able to continue playing.

Thank you so much for fixing this so quickly!