Skip to content

Thieves and crossbows

So, in IWD, thieves can't use crossbows. In BG, they can (although they're limited to light crossbows). Do we know which rule IWDEE will adhere to?
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Ooh ooh ooh I want to know.
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Seems like more of an oversight than anything, since in PnP they are allowed to use them. That said I can't say what IWDEE will allow or not allow here :)
    QuartzatcDavejackjack
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Right now, technically thieves cannot use crossbows in IWD (as you note) but since it will be built on the EE version this will change. Couple that with the potential for thieves to get Use Any Item and crossbows will be an option.
    Quartz
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    elminster said:

Seems like more of an oversight than anything, since in PnP they are allowed to use them. That said I can't say what IWDEE will allow or not allow here :)

They couldn't in BG1 either.

Either way, this would be a big buff for Light Crossbows, which have a decent number of viable options... but there's practically a Heavy version of every damn one! With thieves getting them, you'll find that they outdo shortbows by about... every possible way since there's only just Shortbow +1 for thieves, but there's a 3 APR Crossbow... but there's a heavy version of it as well.
    JuliusBorisov
    Dazzu said:

They couldn't in BG1 either.

Oh snap, someone who knows their vanilla BG stuff. Props to you! Yes, I remember thieves not being able to use crossbows until ToTSC.
    Dazzu said:

Either way, this would be a big buff for Light Crossbows, which have a decent number of viable options... but there's practically a Heavy version of every damn one! With thieves getting them, you'll find that they outdo shortbows by about... every possible way since there's only just Shortbow +1 for thieves, but there's a 3 APR Crossbow... but there's a heavy version of it as well.

Yeah, but everyone did multi-class thieves in Icewind Dale anyway ... because of how many skill points went to four skills was just ridiculous/overkill. So... It won't make that big of a difference for vanilla thieves to be able to use them.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Even as a multi, a thief/mage is still limited to Shortbow +1.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Between the BG2 thief skills and the kits, I suspect single-classed thieves will be a thing again. I, for one, am planning to run a bounty hunter, because I think that'd play really well in IWD. Now, me theorizing it doesn't make it actually a good idea, but there's a lot more reason for them to not be awful.

In any case, glad to hear thieves will be able to use crossbows. :)
    Dazzu said:

Even as a multi, a thief/mage is still limited to Shortbow +1.

I should clarify myself.

Everyone and their (beam)dog had a Fighter/Thief in Icewind Dale.
    MathsorcererJuliusBorisovjackjackbaldurskjd
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    ^ This is a true statement. I know I did. Fighter/thieves are good.
    JuliusBorisovjackjackQuartz