Skip to content

appropriate Mage spells for a Priest of Lathander/Mage

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
I'm playing a dual-classed Cleric of Lathander dualed to Mage. And from a RP perspective it got me thinking about what wizard spells a Dawnbringer would learn/use. I'm seeking feedback. But off the top of my head, here's my thinking:

Level 1

Armor - yes
Blindness - no
Burning Hands - yes (fire magic being associated with the sun)
Charm Person - yes
Chill Touch - no
Chromatic Orb - probably not
Color Spray - yes (multicolored light; akin to sunlight through a prism, etc.)
Find Familiar - yes
Friends - yes
Grease - ?
Identify - yes
Infravision - yes
Larloch's Minor Drain - no
Magic Missile - ?
Protection from Evil - yes
Protection from Petrification - yes
Reflected Image - yes
Shield - yes
Shocking grasp - probably not (?)
Spook - no

Level 2

Agannazar's Scorcher - yes
Blur - yes
Deafness - no
Detect Invisibility - yes
Ghoul Touch - no
Glitterdust - yes
Horror - no
Invisibility - ?
Knock - yes
Know Alignment - yes
Luck - yes
Melf's Acid Arrow - no
Mirror Image - yes
Power Word Sleep - no
Ray of Enfeeblement - no
Resist Fear - yes
Stinking Cloud - no
Strength - yes
Vocalize - yes
Web - no

Level 3

Clairvoyance - yes
Detect Illusion - yes
Dire Charm - yes
Dispel Magic - yes
Fireball - yes
Flame Arrow - yes
Ghost Armor - yes
Haste - yes
Hold Person - no
Hold Undead - yes
Invisibility 10' Radius- ?
Lightning Bolt - probably not
Melf's Minute Meteors - yes
Minor Spell Deflection - yes
Monster Summoning I - no
Non-Detection - ?
Protection from Cold - yes
Protection from Fire - yes
Protection from Normal Missiles - yes
Remove Magic - yes
Skull Trap - no
Slow - no
Spell Thrust - yes
Vampiric Touch - no

Level 4

Confusion - no
Contagion - no
Enchanted Weapon - yes
Farsight - yes
Fireshield (Blue) - yes
Fireshield (Red) - yes
Greater Malison - probably
Ice Storm - no
Improved Invisibility - ?
Minor Globe of Invulnerability - yes
Minor Sequencer - yes
Monster Summoning II - no
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere- yes
Polymorph Other - ?
Polymorph Self - ?
Remove Curse - yes
Secret Word - yes
Spider Spawn - no
Spirit Armor - no
Stoneskin - yes
Teleport Field - ?
Wizard Eye - yes

And since I probably won't get higher than this in my game I'll stop here.

Anyway, thoughts?
Post edited by Lemernis on

Comments

• Spheres All, Astral, Charm, Creation, Elemental, Healing, Necromantic,[no offensive] Plant, Thought, Sun, Wards, Weather, Combat, Divination, Guardian, Time

So all elemental is ok, no necromatic offensive, no illusion, charm/enchantment ok (so confusion is ok) , no summonig and demon calling, Abjuration (blindness) is ok I think.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Lathander
  • Sorvan76Sorvan76 Member Posts: 76
    I would def say yes to blindness, as surely Lathander's priests would have the ability to deny unworthy people the ability to make use of the light he provides. :D
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2014
    Thanks, I should have thought to look to Lathander's shperes. It looks like Blindness, being an Illusion spell, would be no good. Similarly the invisibility spells would be out. But if assuming that Abjuration is acceptable then Non-detection would be okay. And if Alteration is okay then the Polymorph and Teleport Field Alteration spells should be alright.

With Enchantment (Charm sphere) okay it's interesting that Confusion makes the grade.

I'm not sure about Conjuration as a school being off limits on principle. But I should think that monster summoning is antithetical to Lathander's ethos. Glitterdust being used functionally to Blind (even if it is a shower of golden particles reminiscent of dazzling sunlight?) I guess would be out...
    edited September 2014
    @Sorvan76 About Blindness: bright sunlight can temporarily blind, actually. If you look directly into the sun for too long you'll be permanently blinded, for that matter.
  • Sorvan76Sorvan76 Member Posts: 76
    Lemernis said:

@Sorvan76 About Blindness: bright sunlight can temporarily blind, actually. If you look directly into the sun for too long you'll be permanently blinded, for that matter.

I agree, I'd say blindness would be a main offensive use of light.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Also remember that Arcane magic is not the same as Divine magic. Just because a practitioner happens to worship a given Deity doesn't "Necessarily" mean that they can't make use of Arcane schools that are not necessarily supported by the God. the Arcane magic doesn't come from that God, it comes from the Weave (or whatever device of the day they have created since). So long as it isn't specifically banned by the Deity it should be fine to use.

A Divine practitioner may favor certain spells and schools over the others. But that doesn't mean that, given something is useful in a given situation, they wouldn't make use of the correct choice anyway.
  • Blindness and deafness was Abjuration in 2ed. I think you can use conjuration spells, just not things like monster summoning
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    edited September 2014
    Lemernis said:

Glitterdust being used functionally to Blind (even if it is a shower of golden particles reminiscent of dazzling sunlight?) I guess would be out...

I think that Glitterdust goes pretty well with your character. Remember that Glitterdust also makes visible any invisible creatures, so that spell could be used as an instrument of divination, with the possible side-effect of blinding those who get the dust in their eyes (i.e. fail to save vs spell).

Also remember that Arcane magic is not the same as Divine magic. Just because a practitioner happens to worship a given Deity doesn't "Necessarily" mean that they can't make use of Arcane schools that are not necessarily supported by the God. the Arcane magic doesn't come from that God, it comes from the Weave (or whatever device of the day they have created since). So long as it isn't specifically banned by the Deity it should be fine to use.

A Divine practitioner may favor certain spells and schools over the others. But that doesn't mean that, given something is useful in a given situation, they wouldn't make use of the correct choice anyway.

This is true, but I think the way I would roleplay such a character is that the religious ethos would guide choices in the use of arcane magic.

Lemernis said:

Glitterdust being used functionally to Blind (even if it is a shower of golden particles reminiscent of dazzling sunlight?) I guess would be out...

I think that Glitterdust goes pretty well with your character. Remember that Glitterdust also makes visible any invisible creatures, so that spell could be used as an instrument of divination, with the possible side-effect of blinding those who get the dust in their eyes (i.e. fail to save vs spell).
    Good observation. I kind of overlooked that it makes the invisible visible, or reveals the hidden. And that it rather "sun-like" I would say. So yeah.

I'm happy the character can use both Blind and Glitterdust without a sense of conflict, at any rate!