Skip to content

Stealing Everything That's Not Nailed Down

With the help of pharmaceuticals (i.e. Thieving Pots), you can almost deprive whole cities of their wealth. Almost like robbing every house in Manhattan and never getting caught. My question is, is there some role-playing caveats or restrictions that you impose on yourself or your thief in the group (whether it's alignment, need, or something else)?

In my experience, the rush of accumulating so much wealth is fun and all - making sure I nick that last piece of gold from that haughty noble or rude merchant, or selling a pompous merchant an item them stealing it back to sell to a fence. I never rob fences though - it's just bad business, even in real life. At the end of it all, I kinda feel guilty doing it since I like playing the Chaotic Good alignment. There are some instances where I can justify it - the ransom for Imoen at the start of SoA for instance, or maybe buying that item that I really, really want early on in the game. I make sure not to go overboard though.

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Why do you baulk at stealing things that are nailed down? Can't you prise out the nails? With a hammer and an axe, nails shouldn't stand much chance.
    Grayle said:

I never rob fences though - it's just bad business, even in real life.

I defer to your evidently superior experience of the seamier side of real life! :-)
  • GrayleGrayle Member Posts: 43
    Too heavy. Flashbacks of me hauling off 15+ Ankheg Shells in BG1 without a bag of holding or a fire, cloud, or storm giant strength pot flashed through my eyes again. Playing hot potato with 18 of those things from the Ankheg Pit to Bheregost wasn't my definition of fun. ;)

I may have pilfered an item or two, but the cops haven't knocked on my door all this time so I'm sure they didn't miss it. Hah!
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I steal EVERYTHING. no restrictions, cause I'm playing a CN jester with a bucket full of mastery thieving potion.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I usually go by a weight to worth ratio.
    Leather armour is heavy and bulky and only nets you a single gold piece so those tend to stay in the armoir. Too many basic weapons nets the same indifference. For example when I rob the blacksmith in beregost, I usually only nab the magical bastard sword.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    When I play Thieves, I steal everything that is not bolted down ... who am I kidding?
    If there was a way to sell the cupboards, I'd do that too!
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I steal the nails.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Back in my (vanilla BG1) powergaming days, I used to steal everything in sight, nails or no nails - even if I was playing a paladin, which I usually did. It was an extension of the fact that I was a fervent completionist, who insisted on playing every quest, trying out every NPC, and removing every fog of war.

With the release of BG:EE, I've tried to RP much more, which means I try to respect local laws (including no stealing, even if I could get away with it) if I'm playing a good and/or lawful character. I also don't wander aimlessly as much (unless I'm searching for someone or something as part of a quest, like Brage or Bassilus), and I say "Get lost!" to NPCs like Eldoth whose associated quests clearly contradict my character's alignment.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    I only steal the things I need. Like what could a commoner do with a lighting wand or a very powerful mace? I should be the one bettering the realms with that.
  • GrayleGrayle Member Posts: 43

I only steal the things I need. Like what could a commoner do with a lighting wand or a very powerful mace? I should be the one bettering the realms with that.

How about a star diamond, a ruby ring, or a tome? heh

Thanks for all your replies guys. It's great to know that my misgivings about stealing isn't something most people concern themselves with. I guess role-playing that I feel guilty about it justifies my Chaotic Good alignment. :P
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Grayle said:

How about a star diamond, a ruby ring, or a tome? heh

Thanks for all your replies guys. It's great to know that my misgivings about stealing isn't something most people concern themselves with. I guess role-playing that I feel guilty about it justifies my Chaotic Good alignment. :P
    I actually never steal gems or gold. I only steal items that will help me protect the innocent. If stat tome will benefit the party I will take it. A commoner doesn't need to increase a stat since he's not out there risking his life against bandits, monster, and insane mages.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Depends on the character I'm playing and the value of the loot. If it's not worth much then the only time I'd be taking it would be at the start of the game. Late early game-late game I only take magical stuff or gems. As for stealing out of houses, I only take stuff from places that have useful trinkets. If I'm RP-ing a thief then I'll steal everywhere maybe, but only then. If I'm playing as a non-solo paladin then my party's thief "mysteriously disappears at night and reappears with more loot in the morning".