Skip to content

Need Help with melissan

wpmaurawpmaura Member Posts: 30
this fight is nuts, as soon as go to the throne of bhall I fight her and defeat her, but I can not rest, now It looks like I have to fight her at least 3 more times I have no more spells or healing after the first fight.

There a cheat code.

Is not being able to rest a bug

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Nope, it's allegedly intentional. After all, this is the grand finale, it's meant to be tough!

Nevertheless, I've sometime found that it's possible to rest after all. Kill a batch of guardians on one of the side-plates, but don't press the button to cut of the flow of Bhaal essence, and you might find that rest works. I don't guarantee this, but it worked for me at least once.

The idea is that you come into the final scene with enough of the right spells and equipment that you can actually get through four fights with Melissan (and three intervening fights with guardians) in one go. If you have a strong party (balanced, and near to the XP cap), if you have full spellbooks for your Mages and the right spells prepared, if you have optimal equipment and a good stock of potions etc., then it's actually not as difficult as it sounds.

One tip which is often worthwhile: the 9th-level spell Wish has an option to rest the whole party (and re-memorise all spells), which can be a life-saver if you're struggling. However, the options you're offered when you cast Wish are random, you only get the "make us rested" option sometimes. Also, you need a Mage with WIS 18 to be sure of getting any good options at all (because it also offers disastrous options), so you'll probably need some Potions of Wisdom in one of your potion-cases.

Note that even if you can't rest, you can still save, so there's always Power Word: Reload if all else fails.

Remember, there are expert players who can win this battle even when playing solo! Therefore it always ought to be feasible with any half-decent full party. Somehow.
    lunardunbargorgonzola
  • wpmaurawpmaura Member Posts: 30
    this sucks I dont think I can even bough enough healing potions to cure everone guess I will just keep pass ring of regeneration around and waiting for ever.
    I'm surprised. By this stage, you ought to have more healing potions than you can carry. In my last run, I sold hundreds (maybe thousands?) of them, and still had hundreds in stock at this stage.

Have you rushed to the final battle at a relatively low level, without bothering to complete various optional stages earlier (such as Watcher's Keep)? Would you care to describe your party - levels, classes, etc.?
    every one is level 22
    either way she timestops and kill characters, level drains which makes exhaustion and you have to do this 4 times. I think its a little bit tough to do with out resting.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Who is in your party?

Do you have a save from before going to fight her? It might be easier to reload and prepare for what is ahead.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited September 2014
    Ouch. Most people do it at a higher level. Do you have a wish spell? That can get your spells back if you have reasonable wisdom.
    Anyway, the answer is spike traps. Use them. Lots of spike traps.
    I have nothing but defensive spells now. I have beaten two of the guardians and fighting her for third time, the crimson deaths keep level draining, on top of that she summons that muti armed demon, couple with timestops all over the place, by the time I get to her I am dead. this is nuts. I just have to keep reloading and hoping I dont die on instant kill spells.
    edited September 2014
    I cant take down her defenses either becuase of the constant interupts on my spell casters becuase of all the miniion she summons and as soon as there down there up again by then some one is usually dead or imprisoned, my miniions which are everything form planars to 24 hd elementals cant do jack. Dont see how one or 2 more levels will help. have best equipment.

Have Keldorn, Jaheria, Imoen, Minsc, My main a wizard, and aerie.

Is there a cheat
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    If you are out of spells and are hitting a wall, I would recommend reloading a previous save. Now that you know what is ahead, you can be much better prepared and be more economical.

I would say though that a few levels can make a huge difference for a caster. More HLAs, more project images, more improved hastes, etc...I know that's a pain though.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Alright , alright @wpmaura , we'll try to help you.
    I haven't fought her in a while, but I remember some good tactics.

First , have you got any of these items?
    1) Rod of ressurection: Not only ressurects, but also instantly heals living characters.
    2) Healing potions: the best ones available.
    3) Protection from magical weapons (spells or scrolls) : They're crucial to avoid damage during timestop.
    4) Wish spell (or scroll) : it enables the probability to recover all spells (you might wanna drink a potion of insight , in case your mage doesn't have high wisdom.
    5) Stoneskin spell (or scroll) : won't avoid level drain, but avoids physical damage.

Second, have you got these skills/spells?
    1) Whirlwind attack : It is the ultimate killer on every monsters which is not protected from magical weapons. It also works on Melissan.
    2)Improved haste : it is as good as Whirlwind, if not better!

Now to tactics:

As I said before, I don't remember the details, but I know that you've got plenty of space , therefore it would be better to keep vulnerable characters AWAY from combat, and leave the ones with stoneskin/prot from magic weapons next to Mel and her demons, once her and the demons have chosen that target, have the others charge at Melissan with improved haste and whirlwinds. Magical energy (abi dhalzim, skull traps) and energy blades also work. Devas and Planetars also help.

The thing is, you've got to be very evasive and perform quick attacks on the first fight, later on is the time to use more powerful spells and skills.
    elminsterDreadKhanlunardunbar
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    If you've got any thieves then have them lay down traps near her. Especially spiked traps. Should make things a bit easier :)
    meaglothStummvonBordwehr
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited September 2014
    elminster said:

If you've got any thieves then have them lay down traps near her. Especially spiked traps. Should make things a bit easier :)

Two or the spike traps gets her as soon as she spawns, and then you only have the little guys to deal with.
    In every battle, Melissan's minions will disappear once Melissan is down, so if you can do her in (with traps or otherwise), then you don't need to worry about her minions.

However, the fundamental problem, @wpmaura‌, is that you've raced through the game to the final battle much too soon, so your party is weak. I've won this battle numerous times, but I've never tried it with a level 21/22 party.
    wpmaura said:

Dont see how one or 2 more levels will help.

I agree. However, another 10 levels would help a lot! Your casters would have several more spells, and your warriors would have a lot more HLAs, both of which would assist greatly.
    wpmaura said:

Have Keldorn, Jaheria, Imoen, Minsc, My main a wizard, and aerie.

Well in that case, you've no-one able to set traps, so that solution is out. It's actually quite a credible party, though - you'd be able to win with this party, if they were high enough level to be capable of standing up in the final fight.

I'm actually rather surprised that you've managed to get as far as the final battle at such a low level. In a way, that's an impressive achievement. However, even a very experienced player would probably be struggling to win the final battle at your level ... yet you're trying it for the first time at this level.

It looks to me as if you must have omitted Watcher's Keep entirely, to have got this far with so little XP. I can't see how else you could have got yourself into this situation.

If that's what has happened, then I recommend re-loading to a save before entering the final battle (or you might have to go back one step further, to before the final Challenge against the Ravager - I can't remember whether you can still get out after that Challenge), and then go back to the outside world and fully finish everything in Watcher's Keep. There's a lot of XP to be had in WK, enough to gain several levels (probably around 5 or 6 levels for each character). Then your party might be strong enough to stand a chance in the final battle.
    wpmaura said:

have best equipment.

Not if you haven't been to WK yet. A lot of the best equipment is in WK.
  • xzarsrevengexzarsrevenge Member Posts: 60
    Doom awaits Thee!
    lunarlelag200
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    @Gallowglass , I just think that you over reacted by saying "another 10 levels would help a lot" , since it's impossible to reach 8 million with a party of 6 characters (unless you've installed plenty of mods that add powerful creatures and xp worthy quests), but it would also make Melissan's battle TOO easy.

@wpmaura , the first time I fought Melissan was with a 23rd level paladin, and I did manage to beat her by using whirlwind attacks from all my tanks.

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Imp haste and critical strike works too. Hardiness should make your tanks MUCH more durable, to save some healing.

Actually, gaining a few more levels WOULD make you much more powerful. Extra high level spells are a huge boost, especially for Aerie, since she's slow at gaining mage levels. The max of 9th level mage spells is a very big boost in power.

Visit Watcher's Keep as has been mentioned... you will be much stronger after that.
    DJKajuru said:

@Gallowglass , I just think that you over reacted by saying "another 10 levels would help a lot" , since it's impossible to reach 8 million with a party of 6 characters (unless you've installed plenty of mods that add powerful creatures and xp worthy quests), but it would also make Melissan's battle TOO easy.

It's perfectly possible to hit the 8M XP-cap with a full party in a wholly unmodded game. I sometimes do. (You can legitimately add a whole lot of XP simply by slaughtering a bunch of re-spawns. Fire Giants are good for this purpose. Or you can just go abuse the Cheese-Machine in WK, although that's obviously not so legitimate.)

I stand by what I said: another 10 levels would definitely help a lot! For someone doing this battle for the first time, I reckon another 10 levels is quite a reasonable recommendation. However, I'll agree that another 10 levels is more than is necessary. 5 levels ought to be sufficient to make the OP's problem much easier.

However, even at the XP-cap, Melissan's battle is probably not easy if you've never done it before. Obviously when you've done it several times before, it's gets easier, like most things. If you've done it all before, and then also go into the final battle at the XP-cap, then yes, it's pretty straightforward because you know exactly what to do and you've got plenty of spare power with which to do it.
    DJKajuru said:

@wpmaura , the first time I fought Melissan was with a 23rd level paladin, and I did manage to beat her by using whirlwind attacks from all my tanks.

I reckon that's very good going for a first time. Well done. The first time I did it ... ah gee, that was many years ago, so I'm not sure, but I think I was XP-capped.
    DJKajuru
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    What astonishes me the most is the lack of healing potions. I'm in Chapter 6 in my current game and I've got too many already, not even interested in picking them up. (Yes, you could pick them up and sell, but because there's nothing to buy, why bother?)

@wpmaura should concentrate all effort on dropping Melissan and not giving a toss about her minions, because they always leave when Melissan is won. It does look like @wpmaura is in a bit of a bind here, though, being so low-level. Good luck!
    Ah, so you've now done it! Congratulations, @wpmaura‌!
    DJKajuruelminster
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Congrats indeed!
    elminster
  • IpaulbotIpaulbot Member Posts: 1
    Spike traps and potions of insight with wish spell between battles for needed buffs. Main was a fighter, w Dorn, Hexxat, Viconia, Edwin, and Jan. May this forum never die and long live Boo! <3