Skip to content

Driven crazy by conflicting desires - Please HELP!!!

Like many people here, as soon as I heard about IWD:EE including BG kits, I immediately began salivating about finally trying out all those kits that I just couldn't bring myself to RP as a young kid raised by monks in a library fortress (i.e: assassin, blackguard, skald, etc.). Not only that, but it would also give me the chance to finally make use of my stockpile of unused portraits that I had always associated with some of these theoretical characters.

However, as I read over many of the posts offering advice for party creations, I realized that the kind of party that I was envisioning was not necessarily consistent with the advice that I was being offered. For example, the consensus opinion appears to be that I should have a vanilla bard in my party, but I just don't feel like I have the desire to play as one - or if I do play as one, I think that I'd rather try out a skald or a jester than vanilla. It also seems to be generally agreed upon that I should have both a bard and a druid in my party, in addition to the usual cleric and mage - but at the same time, the game is also very hack 'n' slash oriented, which means that I also need to fit a lot of fighters into that configuration. I suppose that I could always go the multi- and/or dual fighter route, which may make my party more efficient, but may also make the members seem less unique and more difficult to RP IMO (for example, I have trouble envisioning a berserker dualing to a spellcaster).

On top of that, I was recently looking over some of the old IWD/HoW manuals, and was reminded that the vanilla classes in IWD receive abilities and bonuses that were not available in the BGs (i.e: paladins can access cleric spells much sooner, and can also cast "smite evil," etc.) - which means, having focused on BG(EE) for so long, some of these classes may feel like I'm playing them for the very first time.

As I mull over possible party formations in my mind, I've been trying to balance all these conflicting interests, but I fear that I may have lost my connection to the rational world as a result. So if anyone here is experiencing the same troubles that I am, I'll be sure to reserve a spot in the asylum for you. ;-)
BelgarathMTHjackjackStarflower2525

Comments

• rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    *reserves a nice comfy padded cell*

I feel your pain, @SharGuidesMyHand‌, creating a balanced party while sating the desire for all those lovely kits is quite possibly the hardest thing you'll do in your life ever. Ever. Ever.

Ahem. For instance, I adore monks and feel a loss every time i have a monkless party, buuuut there's just no room for one in my first party...so of course i had to make a second...but then in THAT party there's no room for a jester and a dragon disciple sorcerer which i really want to try, so THEY have to go to a third party and.....*brain explodes, starts drooling mindlessly*
    JuliusBorisov
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Perhaps don't go with the most optimal party, then? Might be more of a challenge...
    The_New_RomancejackjackNimranJuliusBorisov
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Druids and Bards can add extra flavour to the campaign, however if you have enough ideas of your own then you may not need it. Go with what you feel when it comes out.

In the mean time, if you can dislocate your shoulder then you stand a decent chance to escape from those white jackets that make you hug yourself.
    jackjack
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    decado said:

In the mean time, if you can dislocate your shoulder then you stand a decent chance to escape from those white jackets that make you hug yourself.

I'm actually planning on a different strategy:

rufus_hobart
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    I'm planning a HEAVY role-play run. My berserker Donglord and my Inquisitor GangnamStyle will be leading the way.
    MoomintrollThe_New_RomanceelminsterStarflower2525
  • RamzaRamza Member Posts: 112

I'm planning a HEAVY role-play run. My berserker Donglord and my Inquisitor GangnamStyle will be leading the way.

I think you need a Skald named CarmellaDansen as well.
    jackjack