Skip to content

Composite Longbows

2»

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    elminster said:

It was 15 in the original IWD and 18 in BG2. I'm not certain about the original BG1 and I can't say what it is in IWDEE :)

Stat requirements didn't work in BG1.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

I'm with Anduin. I figure AD&D just kinda got the terms wrong.

DreadKhan said:

strength 10 in dnd is supposed to be medieval average, which today would be well above average.

Wait, what? Are you saying that medieval people (plague-ridden, perpetually half-starved) were on average, stronger than modern people (generally well-fed and with access to personal trainers - at least, the population that plays D&D and BG... when talking about 'average' here it definitely matters what your poulation sample is)...?
    Yes, especially in terms of upper body strength, ie what is measured. People today are very well fed on average, but very sedentary. City dwellers could be soft, and sedentary monks were likely ss bad as modern people. Great diet is nice for muscle mass, but diet cannot add tone to those muscles. I likely have significantly more muscle mass than average, but am definately not strong by any reasonable standard. I eat more carefully than modt though, and am semi-active, including some weights and hard labour. *shrug* Activity makes strong muscles, eating makes big muscles.

In general, people have legs today that are stronger, with T-rex arms. You should keep in mind that only the most infamously stupid leaders oppressed their peasants to stsrvation, we disproportionately hear about these leaders. Most people ate very little animal protein, but protein isnt as necessary as physical activity as carbohydrates. Most serious martial artists avoid high protein diets like the plague, as this tends to slow you down, a lot.

Anyways, ADnD STR was stated to be supposedly based on reasonably average medieval upper body strength, ie military press or bench press. 100lbs free weight military press is not something most men can do, or even come close to likely. Thats roughly what 10 STR was supposed to do. Maybe a bit less. Argue with Gygax!

People were likely fittest during either the pax romana btw or 18th to early 20th century. Average rural folks still performed demanding labour daily for hours, but ate very well.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.