Skip to content

[Known, #9279] Abazigal "Death Speech" scripts break easily

Ark_ToleiArk_Tolei Member Posts: 69
edited September 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
I have 2 related bugs that I think are fundamentally the same core issue of death speech scripts being both 1 time events and reliant on things other than the hp of the enemy hitting 0 (or 1, whatever it takes). If the script fails to go off the first time, it will never try again, and thus the enemy will be permanently unkillable.

The first bug relates to Abazigal. It happened twice and is thus replicable with my playstyle, but I was streaming and couldn't test to differentiate between two possible options that could have broken it. I'm not sure if it's because the MC was mazed, or if it was because there were no valid party members in Abazigal's line of sight. Specifically what seemed to trigger it is that I killed Abazigal via time stopped meganuke while the main character was mazed and nobody else was in melee. The meganuker was likely out of line of sight by the time the nukes hit.

On my third attempt (the successful one) I ended up using the same strategy but waited until the MC was not mazed, and my mage was not effected by the casting failure. This led to killing him while he was in the MC's sights, and his script triggered normally despite a much heavier meganuke (Neera cast roughly 6 dragon breaths along with a dozen or so other aoe nukes during the timestop due to lucky nahal's usage). Due to this I find it unlikely that the bug is related to overkill damage.

Current behavior: If the Main Character is mazed and/or no valid characters are in Abazigal's line of sight when he reaches his death speech threshold, the script fails, and cannot be reset even if you heal him back to full life and beat him back down to death range. Thus, he becomes incapable of dying and you need to reload.

Expected behavior: Abazigal does his speech regardless of mazed protagonists and/or line of sight to the party. If this isn't possible, the script should continue trying to fire any time he takes damage while at death range. To prevent chain firing the second option would require an internal timer.

The second time I ran into the same form of bug related to Korkorran in Hexxat's ToB quest.

Current behavior: If Korkorran is fleeing due to turn undead when his death script is meant to fire, it does not fire, and he becomes permanently unkillable. He also seemed to become permanently turned. I left him standing there without turn undead on for several minutes without the effect dropping.

Expected behavior: Turn undead does not turn off death speech scripts.

Since I was streaming these events I can probably create videos out of the fights if it'll help diagnose the problem. The Korkorran one was pretty straightforward, but the Abazigal fight was much more hectic and confusing.
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Abazigal was in dragon form, should be able to replicate that later today. Not sure about Korkorran as it might be tricky to force a panic. Will see what I can do.
    OK, Abazigal issue reproduced and logged.

Korkorran doesn't seem to be affected by turn undead - I tried with Anomen and a pure cleric both at the XP cap. Do you have any mods installed @Ark_Tolei‌
    Thanks
  • Ark_ToleiArk_Tolei Member Posts: 69
    Sorry for the late response. I've been streaming other things and forgot to check back. Here's a highlight of the fight beginning a second or 2 after the dialogue ends, and ending when I reloaded. http://www.twitch.tv/ark_tolei/c/5086172

I have no mods installed but do have custom portraits. The turn was performed by Viconia, but I unfortunately am not sure what level she was. Somewhere in the early 30's. Oddities leading up to the fight include me killing the previous lich while he was turned (and thus friendly) and me NOT killing Phreya at all. She doesn't have a weapon that can effect my main character so I just had him tank her. I locked her in a room just before the fight in an attempt to get myself the ability to save (a failed attempt, she never loses sight of you and keeps you in combat). I didn't consider that relevant since she was also alive when I refought and successfully killed the boss but if he's supposed to be immune to turn undead that could have had some script impact. On my successful kill she was not, however, locked in a room. She was standing there beating on Grilnesh ineffectually. I made no use of turn undead against him on the successful kill, but did still kill the previous lich by turning it and killing it while it was friendly.

Upon rewatching the fight to create the highlight (My initial report was done from memory) it looks like something does trigger when he hits 0 hitpoints, but it doesn't fully work and leaves him at full hp and permanently trapped in turn undead mode. Viconia was standing there with turn undead active, maybe it triggered mid-script.

I made a highlight with the full pair of fights including quite a bit of the running around with Phreya before the first fight starts (in case something I do there is responsible for the script failure). It's ludicrously long though at 26 minutes. http://www.twitch.tv/ark_tolei/c/5086293

It was now or never on making the highlight since the original video expires in 2 days. I figure it's better safe than sorry.
    edited September 2014
    I can reproduce this, or similar I think, but not reliably as I get one of 2 scenarios.
    1) He stays at near death and seems to be permanently turned (the reported scenario).
    2) The cutscene starts but never ends and he continues attacking a party member through it.

Need to work out how to produce each, failing that raise an issue saying turn undead produced unpredictable results.
    OK, have a repro for Korkorran. Raised as 9672.
    Glad to hear you were able to reproduce it Gate, thanks for looking into it. Will you guys be needing the highlight videos anymore? I'm planning to remove them once they've served their purpose.
    No, the repro case will suffice. Thanks @Ark_Tolei‌