Skip to content

[Known 8332] Casting times of (Chain) Contingency

GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
edited September 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
Existing behavior1: Both Contingency (SPWI617) and Chain Contingency (SPWI908) have a targettype of 7 set (self ignore pause) meaning that both are cast instantly and during a game pause.
Existing behavior2: Both contingency spells start to cast SPIN905.spl (called "DO_NOTHING" in SPELL.ids) at a delay, which inconveniently breaks the PC's actions.

Expected behavior1: Both spells should have a targettype of 5 (self) set with a casting time of 9 as per their descriptions.
Expected behavior2: Neither spell should force the caster to cast SPIN905 (just a bunch of white sparkles).

Suggested solution1: Set the targettype of both contingency spells (SPWI617, SPWI908) to 5 instead of 7.
Suggested solution2: Remove the casting of SPIN905.spl from all extended headers of all contingency spells.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    I think I get the first behaviour around preparing the contingency. Animations don't start until after the game is unpaused but the contingency icon and a text feedback comment are shown while still paused, or before the animations when unpaused.

I'm not sure I understand the second behaviour. Preparing a contingency should break any other actions?
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    The first issue is that whether or not you have the game paused, the two contingency spells are cast instantaneously with a casting time of 0 rather than 9 as per their descriptions. This is due to the fact that both spells' targettypes are set to 7 (self ignore pause) which overrides whatever casting values the spells might have. This behavior is hardcoded in the game, and the only way to undo this is by setting the targettype to 5 (self), and the contingency menu will appear normally after the spell has been completed.

The second issue is that a few seconds after you finish casting any of the contingency spells (regardless what you did in the contingency menu), the caster starts to cast a spell with white sparkles that does nothing. If the player has started another action (such as begun casting another spell), then the action is broken to the player's annoyance.
    If the first part was fixed and the spell took a casting time of 9, wouldn't the second part be undertaken within that time of 9.

Or are you saying the second part would break the first part?

Trying to make sure I understand correctly so I don't report the wrong thing.
    Thanks
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    The two errors are independent of each other. I simply reported them in the same thread because the spells we are dealing are the same and both have to do with a messed up casting process - perhaps I should have made separate threads for both?

The first issue is due to the wrong targettype set in the spells' headers (should be set to 5 instead of 7).

The second issue is due to an extra effect set in the extended headers that forces the caster to cast another completely unrelated spell (via opcode 146). The unrelated spell is SPIN905.spl (called "DO_NOTHING" in SPELL.ids).
    Turns out 8332 is already raised in respect of casting times, not sure how I missed that last time.