Skip to content

Creative Sound Card Issues And Download Issues

the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
edited September 2014 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
I know I have seen it mentioned before but this should really be fixed and clearly documented in this forum for people having issues. Creative's latest sound drivers will cause many of the sounds like footsteps,character selection, cut-scene dialog, ect to work only once in a while. This will throw off character positioning in some cut-scenes and will make the game unplayable. The intro Dungeon to Baldar's Gate 2 has this problem where Irenicus will just stand in front of the cage forever and you can never get free to continue the game. It also kills the scene with Gorian and Serevok in the original Baldur's Gate. Not only are both games unplayable but it would not be enjoyable even if it were not game stopping. Using an Older driver from 2010 will fix the problem however...

Windows update will automatically install creative's latest driver and will not even notify you unless you have disabled automatic updates. Even if you install an old driver it will immediately overwrite it without your knowledge or even needing a reboot. I did a fresh reformat of my C drive and installed windows 7 64bit and forgot to disable the automatic updates.

Windows update has an old creative driver listed under optional updates but the OS will automatically install the latest creative driver without selecting it or documenting it in windows update. This makes installing old drivers difficult as you have to turn off windows update and then manually force the old driver through the device manager otherwise the creative drivers will detect the newer driver and will refuse to install.

Another problem is that the Beamdog website will not allow you to download the game or the beamdog client if you are using Internet Explorer. I like Google Chrome but it seems more fit for tablets and cell phones. IE is already installed on any windows based computer and most people that play games have windows based computers. There is no mention of this problem on the download page so customers are left completely clueless on how to download the product they purchased.

Anyone with a creative sound card and Internet explorer is probably going to run into some serious frustration with these EE titles. Once you know the solution to these problems it is not a big deal and everything works great but the knowledge needs to be in your face when you download the game. It should be stuck at the top of this forum. I am sure many people use these two products and have either given up on EE or went through many hours of frustration troubleshooting the issues like I did.

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I'm using the Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D sound card and haven't had any issues. I think there is a known issue on some Creative sound cards, but it's clearly not every Creative sound card. What Creative card is it you are using?

As for Internet Explorer, make sure you are signed in to the Beamdog website—if you're trying to sign in and it won't let you (keeps bringing you back to the login page), make sure your security settings are turned down so that Internet Explorer will allow cookies (or add Beamdog.com to the safe list). I tried on Internet Explorer and it works fine.
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited September 2014
    I am using a creative Titanium X-Fi Fatality sound card. I like Creative hardware but their drivers have been unstable for years. I use a 7.3 home theater with my PC and I need the Dolby Digital Live that this card offered. Creative drivers would not allow this feature to work so I had to use hacked drivers for years. This new driver from creative works great with Dolby Digital Live but Baldur's Gate doesn't work. This will be the last time I buy a Creative product. I have used them for 15 years but the drivers have become ridiculous.

As for Internet Explorer, it doesn't work for me. I sign in and click on the download link and it gives me an error and says that the download is corrupt. I looked it up on Google and people were saying to use Google chrome so I did and everything worked great.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

As for Internet Explorer, it doesn't work for me. I sign in and click on the download link and it gives me an error and says that the download is corrupt. I looked it up on Google and people were saying to use Google chrome so I did and everything worked great.

I tried on Internet Explorer 9 and 10, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. None of them produced a corrupt download.

Tagging @Dee. He might know more about these two issues. :-)
    edited September 2014
    I'm using Internet Explorer 11 so that my be the reason why I am getting it and you are not. The download isn't actually corrupt. when you click on the link it will say that it is corrupt and will not allow you to download it at all.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited September 2014
    It could be your antivirus/security software that is blocking the download (Deleting/locking the file as soon as the download starts, causing IE to freak out).
    edited September 2014
    It's not, I turned it off. The file download says that it cannot download the file because the signature is corrupt or invalid and there is no way to force it to download. With Google Chrome it simply downloads the file without problem.

Maybe you can force IE to not check for signatures to get around the problem but it is set that way by default so I would think the signature on the web site should be set correctly in the first place. I just did a clean install of windows on a reformatted drive and the only thing I installed was the windows updates and my graphic and sound drivers so I don't think it is anything on my end. I found the solution to use Google chrome online and other people are having the same problem so it's not just me.
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    I can verify the problem in Internet Explorer 11:
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It's a known issue with Internet Explorer, yes; the browser throws a false positive when trying to download the installers from the Beamdog website.
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    The signature is expiring in two days so the installers will need to be updated soon anyway. Signing with SHA-2 instead will probably avoid this bug.