Skip to content

No reload challenge

AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
Hey guys, i am going to start a BG Trilogy no reload challenge (not EE, because of obvious gamebreaking bugs in BGIIEE).

I've done several before, my best one was going all the way to the Underdark, where i got disintegrated by an elder orb. Hopefully i can do better this time. I will play on Core rules (but maximum HP on level up) and with SCS difficulty mod, most of the features installed.

Made a Kensai for this run, which i will dual to a mage at lvl 9 in BG2. I rolled some insanely sick stats on him, took me half a day to get them, but worth it!

I will be powergaming a bit, as i feel SCS game is extremely hard to complete without some meta abuse. For example, i will go at the start of the game in the basilisk area, solo, and get some nice levels, so then i can recruit NPC's at a higher level.

Ok, so here i go, i will try to keep this updated as much as possible. Wish me luck!image

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    So what's your game-breaking bug? If it's so bad you can't play you should report it so they can fix it in the 1.3 patch.
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    From what i've read in the bug report section, there's plenty, i'm not taking any chances. Even something as simple as Foebane not working properly is enough to make me not run a playthrough. I'll do a new challenge when BG2 1.3 patch comes out probably.
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    edited September 2014
    Update #1 After a few hours in, made tremendous progress already. I cleared the first few zones by kiting with my main while the rest of the party shot missiles. After that, i sold the ring of wizardry found in a secret stash near FAI for a whooping 9000g. Then i headed for the carnival, bought protection from petrification, and the Shield Amulet (a must have for any kensai) in order to prepare myself for the basilisk area. Went there, scouted the whole map with an invisibility potion, learned to avoid Mutamin the deranged gnome and the other adventurer group, then soloed the basilisks, got about 14k xp worth from that and level 5.

After that, went to High Hedge, got potions of freedom and mirrored eyes for part B of the plan. Then proceed to Durlag's Tower, invisibility potion again to avoid the impossible to kill yet Doom Guards, go inside the tower to the roof, kill about 10 ghasts along the way with potion of freedom gulped (otherwise they hold you and you're guaranteed dead) and find 3 more greater basilisks on the rooftop. After the whole ordeal i end up level 6, which is absolutely overpowering this early in the game. This also allows me to recruit NPC's i haven't met yet at their maximum level.

So after 4 hours of play, i pretty much got my dream party:

Kensai lvl 6
    Imoen (still lvl 2, but she'll catch up)
    Kagain lvl 6 (to be replaced later with Coran)
    Minsc lvl 6
    Viconia lvl 6
    And last, but certainly not least - Edwin lvl 6 with HASTE among his spell repertoire

All in all, a very productive first day, i imagine the rest of the journey until Cloakwood will be a cakewalk.

Note: if anyone else wants to do the challenge and has SCS prebuff mages installed, avoid the Silke fight in Beregost early, she crushes your lvl 1-2 party easily.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Hey, @AlexDeLarge‌, I wish you luck! It's always nice to read about a no-reload attempt, especially with SCS.

Just don't be overconfident and everything will be fine :)

I've edited your post so that we all can see the images. Just use tips in his thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34077/how-to-post-files-images-step-by-step-guide#latest