Skip to content

Looking for suggestions on a full custom party!

DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
edited September 2014 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
Hi! I've been reading the Baldur's Gate forums for a while, and I really enjoy the community here. You guys are great.

I have beaten Baldur's Gate 1 twice so far, I'm in the middle of a third playthrough, but I decided to do the playthrough after that will be a full custom party that I would hopefully take to the end of Throne of Bhaal. I was wondering if you could critique my party makeup. We have here:

Half-Elf Cleric/Ranger
Half-Orc Fighter/Thief
Halfling Fighter
Dwarf Priest of Lathander
Human Skald
Elf Sorcerer

The only party members I'm dead set on using here are the Cleric/Ranger, the Sorcerer, and the Halfling Fighter.

With the Cleric/Ranger, I actually rolled a 100, so I decided that he will be main character. The Sorcerer is based off a pen and paper D&D character I played once, and I rolled a 97, which is funny because a Sorcerer probably doesn't need that kind of stats, so I'm using him for spellcasting. The Halfling Fighter will be my archer. I'm not so concerned about his 17 Strength for now, because he's entertaining. (He also dual weilds katanas for comedy value.)

The other three members of the party I am not so sold on. I am worried about spell casting redundancy between the Priest of Lathander and the Cleric/Ranger. Would this be needed or should I go with another class for this party slot? I'm worried that the Skald will be boring, since all it seems she would do is just sing while the rest of the party wrecks stuff. The Fighter/Thief I am kinda just meh on, but I really want to accomplish the expansion dungeon and hit level cap.

Soooo, my main concern is how well this party would hold up if I transfered them over into Baldur's Gate 2! I played Baldur's Gate 2 only once before when it came out, and got decimated repeatedly and brutally at the part of the game about halfway in that is a brick wall for noobs. I have no first hand experience what comes after that point.

Anyways, yeah, any help would be greatly appreciated, and I want to say that these forums are an incredible wealth of info and strategy. Thanks!
JLee

Comments

• JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    I think the party has a lot of flavor. Sounds fun!

Having 1.5 clerics isn't redundant. The C/R will be your frontliner and will likely be too busy in combat for other duties like crowd control, turning undead, etc. That way the C/R could focus more on self buffs like DuHM and Iron Skins and the PoL can focus on more party buffs, crowd control and the like.

Your Skald will likely rotate between 3 duties: singing, ranged combat, and backup spellcasting. This last will assume more prominence as the game progresses.

If you are meh about the F/T, you might consider a Swashbuckler. They are a great class that continues to improve as the game goes along. Of course if you are going to be backstabbing, then pass.

Sorcerer is one my favorite classes. However, you might ask around here for opinions on spell selection if you are not familiar with the late game mage fight mechanics. You have some leeway, but there are some spells that are critical to your success that you will want to have for sure.

Good luck!
    JuliusBorisov
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    If you want the most powerful party to complement your three favorites, I'd suggest a Fighter/Mage/Thief, a Fighter/Mage and a... Fighter/Mage. Yes, they're that great.

Seriously though, FMT is so much better than a FT. If you're not into bard song, go with a FM. To create less overlap between two clerics, make the PoL a paladin (kit of preference).
    JuliusBorisov
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    @JLee OK, I will keep the Priest, but I will ditch the Fighter/Thief. You know, in my current playthrough, I am an Elf Thief, so I initially shied away from the Thief class again, but Swashbuckler sounds just different enough to be awesome in its own way. I still get to have that character be a Half-Orc too!

@FinneousPJ In my first playthrough, I was a Gnome Fighter/Illusionist, so I don't think I'll repeat that in this custom party game, since I'll be playing her extensively in Baldur's Gate 2. They are most indeed great! Also, I think I'm going to save Fighter/Mage/Thief for a solo run once I REALLY know what I'm doing.

Thanks for the advice so far!
    JLeeFinneousPJ