Skip to content

Finding gem bag and scroll case???

Hi wondering if anyone can help me where do u find the gem bag and scroll case???help would be much appreciated

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2014
    Firebead in Beregost gives you a free scroll case for doing his errand and Neera (also in Beregost) has a gem bag. I think you can buy others in some stores too.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Potion Case is at High Hedge too, I think.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I edited Winthrop's Inn in Candlekeep to have one scroll case for sale, primarily because I also edited Candlekeep itself to make it so that new characters can enter the keep, look around the bookshelves, and find some scrolls. There are now just enough scrolls there to sell and buy either the plate mail or the katana Winthrop sells or to scribe and allow your mage to gain a level before leaving. I took out all the later content by deactivating people with scripts.
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    In BG1 visiting Firebead in Beregost is possible very early. You may talk to him more than once, though, and probaby with your main character.

I think you can buy others in some stores too.

In BG2 there are more shops and people on the street that sell a scroll case.

• pellow7pellow7 Member Posts: 8
    Thank u very much
  • pellow7pellow7 Member Posts: 8
    Thank u very much
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

I think you can buy others in some stores too.

I don't think that's the case in BG1, they only added one of each AFAIK. And for some reason they didn't think to add an Ammo Bag. Thankfully we have Near Infinity at our disposal.

To be honest, at the start of every game, I console or keeper in a gem bag, scroll case, potion case and ammo belt... It's not game breaking and just eliminates the drag that is inventory management.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited September 2014
    I've scattered them about in the first two levels within various containers. It seems more honest than simply giving them to myself.

Oh wait, that's BG2. In BG1 I've added some to various merchants, and also allowed them to randomly spawn in containers or as combat loot.
    Post edited by Belanos on
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417

I edited Winthrop's Inn in Candlekeep to have one scroll case for sale, primarily because I also edited Candlekeep itself to make it so that new characters can enter the keep, look around the bookshelves, and find some scrolls. There are now just enough scrolls there to sell and buy either the plate mail or the katana Winthrop sells or to scribe and allow your mage to gain a level before leaving. I took out all the later content by deactivating people with scripts.

You know you don't need to do this to get enough money to buy anything Winthrop sells (if your Charisma or Thief skills are up to it).

- First, start the game (with your saved character) multiple times, until your starting GP are ~150+ (The max is 200, so don't get ridiculous about it.)
    - Scavenge the Inn, and collect all the easy loot from the Candlekeep courtyard quests.
    - If you have high enough reaction from Fuller, he will give you his family Dagger +1 instead of a few gold pieces. (Admittedly, this might be tough if you are planning to play evil and you set your Alignment low deliberately.)
    - Thieves and high strength Rangers can collect all the extra arms from the barracks footlockers, if they are careful. They are worth maybe 50 GP altogether, but more importantly might save you from having to buy certain items.
    - Sell all the gems, jewelry (from upstairs), and extra arms that don't fit your character (or maybe Imoen).
    - Sell Fuller's Dagger. You could also sell one or both of the scrolls from the back room of the Inn, and possibly one or two of the Healling potions you should have collected by now.
    - Count your interactions with Firebead. When you have talked to him exactly 30 times, wait about 30+ seconds, doing nothing. He'll give you 300 GP, apparently just for being kind to the elderly.

That should give you 800+ GP.

I regularly start the adventure with a helmet, the katana, a composite long bow, plenty of arrows, extra arrows for Imoen, a warhammer, a short sword for Imoen, and a sling and bullets (*cough* in case I meet anyone who shows sling talent), and a couple of potions. (I tend to assume that I'm going to stumble over some basic armor that the former owner doesn't need any more fairly soon on my travels with Dad.)

Without any mods...though the restarts for a nice starting purse, and engineering a high reaction to get Fuller's Dagger, and expecting to find armor soon are modest exploits.

You could get a longbow, or any alternate type sword (and a spare), and then some significant armor if you prefer. (Admittedly, you cannot get plate mail unless you mod it in, or [ahem] remove some Watcher's need for it in a dark corner.)
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417

Firebead in Beregost gives you a free scroll case for doing his errand and Neera (also in Beregost) has a gem bag. I think you can buy others in some stores too.

I don't think there are any additional gem bags or scroll cases, unless there is one or both tucked away in Ulgoth's Beard or Durlag's.

dreamrider

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

You know you don't need to do this to get enough money to buy anything Winthrop sells (if your Charisma or Thief skills are up to it).

Yes, I know. I *wanted* to edit Candlekeep to make it accessible, though. Merely a pet project that interested me.

- First, start the game (with your saved character) multiple times, until your starting GP are ~150+ (The max is 200, so don't get ridiculous about it.)
    - Scavenge the Inn, and collect all the easy loot from the Candlekeep courtyard quests.
    - If you have high enough reaction from Fuller, he will give you his family Dagger +1 instead of a few gold pieces. (Admittedly, this might be tough if you are planning to play evil and you set your Alignment low deliberately.)
    - Thieves and high strength Rangers can collect all the extra arms from the barracks footlockers, if they are careful. They are worth maybe 50 GP altogether, but more importantly might save you from having to buy certain items.
    - Sell all the gems, jewelry (from upstairs), and extra arms that don't fit your character (or maybe Imoen).
    - Sell Fuller's Dagger. You could also sell one or both of the scrolls from the back room of the Inn, and possibly one or two of the Healling potions you should have collected by now.
    - Count your interactions with Firebead. When you have talked to him exactly 30 times, wait about 30+ seconds, doing nothing. He'll give you 300 GP, apparently just for being kind to the elderly.

That should give you 800+ GP.

I regularly start the adventure with a helmet, the katana, a composite long bow, plenty of arrows, extra arrows for Imoen, a warhammer, a short sword for Imoen, and a sling and bullets (*cough* in case I meet anyone who shows sling talent), and a couple of potions. (I tend to assume that I'm going to stumble over some basic armor that the former owner doesn't need any more fairly soon on my travels with Dad.)

Without any mods...though the restarts for a nice starting purse, and engineering a high reaction to get Fuller's Dagger, and expecting to find armor soon are modest exploits.

You could get a longbow, or any alternate type sword (and a spare), and then some significant armor if you prefer. (Admittedly, you cannot get plate mail unless you mod it in, or [ahem] remove some Watcher's need for it in a dark corner.)
    Seems like a lot of effort when you can just keeper in the same &/or cash equivalent... Since you're exploiting anyway.
    Each to their own though... Usually I just want to get out of there as quickly as humanly(or humanoidly) possible!