Skip to content

I backstab for how much?

A question for those who understand backstab mechanics better than I do...

I'm running a stalker in BGEE (2x backstab) with an 18/35 strength (+3 dmg bonus), using a short sword +2, specialization in short swords (+2 dmg), and wearing legacy of the masters (+2 dmg) bracers. Damage range listed on the character screen (unbuffed) as 10-15. I just critical hit backstabbed Centeol for 62 damage...

Now Branwen had cast chant, so that does provide an extra +1 to damage (which apparently gets multiplied), but there were no other spells active that affect damage. I didn't think that the strength bonus got multiplied for backstabbing (only for the critical hit). So, from my understanding, the maximum I could get would be 58.

So, am I missing something? How was this crazy backstab possible?

Comments

• JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited February 2014
    This is the formula I refer to:

((Base damage + Proficiency bonus + item bonus, bard song etc) x backstabbing multiplier + strength bonus ) x critical hit + additional weapon damage

Edit: My apologies, I come up with 58 also...
    Post edited by JLee on
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Backstab is pretty messy in this game. I won't spoil where but yesterday my Blackguard was hit by a quadruple damage backstab for 1 damage.

Yes you read it right, 1 damage.
  • qwerty123456qwerty123456 Member Posts: 67
    elminster said:

unarmed (meaning thats another +4 damage).

wrong
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    @qwerty123456 Never says wrong to Elminster ...
  • VakarianVakarian Member Posts: 94
    Ah, I had no idea there was a damage bonus to unarmed opponents. Thanks @elminster
  • qwerty123456qwerty123456 Member Posts: 67
    Right. I'm wrong.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited February 2014
    Gotural said:

Backstab is pretty messy in this game. I won't spoil where but yesterday my Blackguard was hit by a quadruple damage backstab for 1 damage.

Yes you read it right, 1 damage.

what
    i
    what?! Ahh, that made me smile.
    alsooo thanks for the heads up on unarmed opponents, @Elminster! I thought there was one...
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    That doesn't apply to monks right?
  • YozZzZzYozZzZz Member Posts: 22

That doesn't apply to monks right?

Right. The game doesn't consider them unarmed.

• CTKnightOwlCTKnightOwl Member Posts: 88
    Wow Elminster, thanks for teaching a 15+ year BG vet something he never knew.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2014

Wow Elminster, thanks for teaching a 15+ year BG vet something he never knew.

Sadly apart from watching commoners (or Centeol in this case) take on obscene amounts of damage its not knowledge that provides a lot of practical use.
  • VakarianVakarian Member Posts: 94
    Just had another one of these crazy backstabs- apparently Dezkiel at the end of the Shandalar's island dungeon is also unarmed.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Dradeel is another one as well. Mages are probably going to be your most likely candidates for finding this.