Skip to content

Record of Lodoss War

JaysamaJaysama Member Posts: 66
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
Has anyone ever created a set of characters from this show? Just curious!

If anyone doesn't know what Record of Lodoss War is, then I highly reccomend watching it. It's a mega nerdy anime series that has a bunch of fighting, magic spells, high elves, dark elves, wizards, and people even refer to each other as their class!

If you enjoyed playing any of the Baldur's Gate games, then I think it's a given that you would appreciate this show!

Thanks for reading.
Post edited by Coriander on
GrayvieCCarluNN

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    It was based on a D&D game the creator of the anime ran. Literally. The story was originally a novel-like retelling of an actual D&D play session. They became so popular, that they were made into novels, and from there into an Anime.
    Jaysama
  • JaysamaJaysama Member Posts: 66
    I'm not suprised! I watched it for my first time recently and lost count of how many times I had to wipe away nerd tears of joy, and sorta half laughed/cried whenever crazy things were happening.

I hope that this forum post brings this beautiful masterpeice to more eyes.
    LadyRhian said:

It was based on a D&D game the creator of the anime ran. Literally. The story was originally a novel-like retelling of an actual D&D play session. They became so popular, that they were made into novels, and from there into an Anime.

Sorry I forgot to thank you for telling me this, that's really cool to know!
    No problem! :)
    Jaysama

Ghim: I want to throw my battle axe!
    GM: ...What?
    Ghim: I want to roll to throw my battle axe and hit all four of those goblins.
    GM: All right, fine, I guess. You'll have like a -10 penalty, though.
    Ghim: Crit! Crit! Crit! And....crit!
    GM: ...God dammit.

That made me laugh really hard XD

The other thing that bothered me was the forced love story that was shoved in, but hey that's just how the industry works I suppose.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    It wasn't so much forced as it just...didn't really seem to happen. Deedlit was all sorts of hot for Parn, but he was apparently oblivious. I don't even recall them kissing.

It wasn't so much forced as it just...didn't really seem to happen. Deedlit was all sorts of hot for Parn, but he was apparently oblivious. I don't even recall them kissing.

Mabey not, but he did get flustered, set a rose next to her while sleeping, and then go apesh1t when she was captured. Punching a stone wall and crying in front of all of his friends has to say something about the two.

Not trying to be negative nancy, just pointing out that an immortal high elf falling for some clumsy kid doesn't seem very plausable.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    In it's earlier days, final fantasy was hugely inspired by d&d too.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageSchneidend
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    The OVA is the best that show have been in my opinion
    Jaysama
  • GrayvieGrayvie Member Posts: 49
    @Jaysama:
    You sir deserve a prize for creating this topic. =)))

Lodoss is awesome. I wish someone would translate the novels someday (since novels are the only media in which you can see unabridge Orson's campaign).

To whoever has watched and liked the anime I can suggest reading manga (japanese comic books) since it has better representation of the story imo. All of Lodoss' manga incarnations are translated in english and are not hard to find.
    Manga covers Parn's campaign (Grey Witch story line), Spark's campaign (Heroic Knight storyline) and prequel story about six heroes (Lady of Pharis). There is also a Demon of Flame story featuring Parn and Deedlit's Tale which is a couple of unimportant short stories.

And back on topic I did try to recreate Parn's party in IWD =)). I didn't finish the game with it though (don't remember why)... I think I'll try to recreate it again next time I play IWD.
    Jaysamamcavatar76
    Jaysama said:

Mabey not, but he did get flustered, set a rose next to her while sleeping, and then go apesh1t when she was captured. Punching a stone wall and crying in front of all of his friends has to say something about the two.

Not trying to be negative nancy, just pointing out that an immortal high elf falling for some clumsy kid doesn't seem very plausable.

I think the idea behind her feelings is that Parn is mannerly while still speaking his mind, and always trying to do the right thing no matter how dangerous that might be. Still, I agree, the romance didn't seem real in many ways.
    Jaysama
  • merc1136merc1136 Member Posts: 12
    There are two Records of Lodoss War, and to get the "truest" story line you have to watch half of the first then switch to the second, because the first series was finished before the novels and sort of made it's own ending. Awesome anime though, I watch it at least once a year.

Bastard (the anime) also has a lot of DnD flavor, with a ton of 80s hair band references thrown in.

Berzerk is another great one, and the ending will flip you on your lid.

Also there are several more animes taking place in the same "world" but not the continent of Lodoss.. the names escape me tho.
    JaysamaMornmagor
    @merc1136:
    And again being a manga nerd I will recommend you to read all thouse series you mentioned.

Bastard is pretty good. You won't get far with anime since they discontinued it after several episodes. I haven't read that manga but if you want to get the full story you should go with it.

Berserk is awesome. That famous ending is actually not an ending at all. Story continues in the manga (making more sense... don't know what people where thinking leaving anime off on that scene). Alternativle to manga there is a new anime adaptation in form of several movies in the making. It is supposed to go farther plotwise than original series.

And speaking of other anime taking place on main continent thouse are Legend of Crystania (taking place hundreds of years after Parn's adventures) and Rune knight Louie (a gag series lously based on Lodoss' world). Each of this are rather different from Lodoss and I won't recomend them. (well Crystania is ok... but you should watch it considering that it is not in any way a sequel to Lodoss... otherwise you will be dissapointed)
    JaysamaMornmagormcavatar76
  • merc1136merc1136 Member Posts: 12
    @Grayvie I was able to see a bit more of the story of Berserk by getting my hands on a Japanese version of the game for the Dreamcast. Since you're a big manga fan, do you have an opinion on Big O? It's no where near DnD but the cartoons here in USA had an awesome storyline. And thanks for reminding me about Crystania! It was good, but no Record of Lodoss Wars. Lodoss is unique in that we see Parn start out young and with a good heart but.. well skill-less... and we see him improve and get stronger over time.
    Jaysama
    Wow I learned a lot in this thread! Thanks everyone for providing me with more ways to waste my time! XD

I'm going to get started on some of these and feed my urge to play Baldur's Gate even more!
    @merc1136:
    I haven't watched Big O so I can't say anything about it (I'm not much of a giant robot genre fan)... But I heard positive comments so it should be good.

And here is a fun tidbit. In the manga story Parn is not actually skill-less (lvl 1 character =)))). In the begining of the story he returns after serving as a mercenary in kingdom of Flame and is a decent fighter (let's say lvl 5 or 6 =)))).

There are a lot of minor deviantions in plot lines of anime and manga. I prefer manga since it's story has a lot more d'n'd'esque elements. The artwork is different though. Some people may consider it "uglier" but I actually like it (some people might get turned off by it though).

You can read all of the Lodoss manga series online over here
    Jaysamamerc1136
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited August 2012
    Berseeeeeeeeerk! \o/ \o/ \o/

I just had to share with you my love for berserk :P

/Points at his avatar :]

Can it get more awesome with Gatsu and the Skull Knight in the same manga? :D
    Jaysama
    Since everyone here is splurging on anime, perhaps I think I should chime in XD

One I enjoyed a lot is called Fate/Stay Night, it's not for everyone, I think it's a bit 'girly' or something, hard to explain but I thought it was one of the funnest stories to follow.

(Minor spoilers inside) This is a little clip from the show that shows off the excellent animation they used.
    Mornmagor
    edited August 2012
    My favorite anime isn't really Western-fantasy themed. It's Gensomaden Saiyuki by Kazuya Minekura, and it's based on "Journey to the West", the same story that underlay Dragonball and Dragonball Z. But it's done much more stylishly, and the main character, Genjyo Sanzo, carries a gun. Here's the opening. The kid with the gold eyes is Son Goku.

And this is the second season opening

And one more opening, because I love the music in this one: Vampire Princess Miyu

And the series ending: The Temari Uta, or Round Ball song

Jaysama
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    Nice, I think I'll want to watch Lodoss, if I can find it. Japan can produce some really good anime tv shows.
    Meanwhile, in America: http://www.tv.com/shows/dexters-laboratory/d-and-dd-24546/
    Jaysama
    CCarluNN said:

Nice, I think I'll want to watch Lodoss, if I can find it. Japan can produce some really good anime tv shows.
    Meanwhile, in America: http://www.tv.com/shows/dexters-laboratory/d-and-dd-24546/

Yes please watch it! It's a lot of fun ^_^

When you finish watching it come shoot me a message and we can talk about it if you like!
    LadyRhian, thanks for sharing that. I just finished watching the last episode of my show and was about to start looking for something new!
    @Jaysama You're welcome! I have watched a lot of anime, but none of it lately thrills me much. I love the older stuff, like Trinity Blood, Cowboy Bebop, Bubblegum Crisis, the 1994 Gatchaman remake, Eat-Man '98, Escaflowne, Magic Knights: Rayearth, Trigun, Hellsing... stuff like that.

And Gatchaman wasn't your pappy's "Battle of the Planets", no sirree! ;)

I liked Fate/stay Night as well a lot :]
    Jaysama
    Mornmagor said:

I liked Fate/stay Night as well a lot :]

Good to know! All of my girl friends like it, and all of my guy friends dislike it. Not sure why exactly but thought I'd mention that before reccomending it to anyone haha.
    edited August 2012
    Fate Stay Night in it's original form is an erotic interactive novel game btw =)))))

If you like that anime you might want to watch Shingetsutan Tsukihime (set in the same world I belive).

And I think we should stick to discussing Lodoss (or at least fantasy anime) in this thread... Cause general anime discussion deserves it's own thread I belive.
    Mornmagor
    edited August 2012
    One other interesting anime in the same world, although dark and kind of creepy, is Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners. It's 7 movies, but each continuing the previous story, like 7 reaaaally long episodes. It's 60 minutes and 2 of them are 120 minutes.

It has a nice opening song too, although a bit WTF :P

If you liked Fate/Stay Night, you might like this too.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime is indeed in the same world, and the protagonist, has the same ability as the co-protagonist of Kara no Kyoukai.
    Speaking of Fate/Stay Night...
    JaysamaMornmagor
    Always loved Gilgamesh! Haha :P