Skip to content

Android?

I'm glad you guys are releasing IWD:EE and all, but wouldn't it be better to finish BG2 for Android first? I mean, IOS got theirs in February, it's now October and all you guys have done for the past 8 months is say "we will release it when it's ready". Sounds to me like you guys will never have it ready and IWD:EE is a money scam. Either release IWD with all platforms at once or remove the Android banner and don't lie to people. 8 months for an IOS > android port is beyond ridiculous. I've seen people do the same thing in 2 days that's taken you over 8 months. Thank God for the people who made Gemrb. They did your job for you, in way less time.

Comments

• Cr4zyJCr4zyJ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 208
    edited October 2014
    Kesseran said:

I'm glad you guys are releasing IWD:EE and all, but wouldn't it be better to finish BG2 for Android first? I mean, IOS got theirs in February, it's now October and all you guys have done for the past 8 months is say "we will release it when it's ready". Sounds to me like you guys will never have it ready and IWD:EE is a money scam.

If you want an expanded version of what dee just said then read on. Otherwise you can skip my post.

I do not work for beamdog or overhaul and i am not compensated by them in any way or form. What i am allowed to say is this: Iwd:ee is very, VERY MUCH REAL. They have been hard at work for quite some time on it, but its developement has been kept very quiet and still is. trent oster said on twitter something to the effect that it will be very likely be available before Christmas. Progress is being made quickly. Releasing the game in its current state is not in anyones best interest, including yours. If you would like to see for yourself or try and speed up the process goto the icewind dale website and sign up to be a beta tester (it isnt free, you have to buy the game on the platform you want but you will recieve the full version when it comes out, if you are selected). IWD will be available on all platforms that are advertised on the games website (that will very much include android)... check the tag next to my name and youll see how i know...

I can confirm with my eyeballs what's already been announced: iwd:ee is very much real and will be released accross multiple platforms when its ready.

Trent has mentioned that its most likely that bg2ee android and 1.3 will likely come shortly after iwd but he doesnt sound super certain. If you are awaiting updates and bg2 android i would follow him or check his feed periodically. Dont worry, im waiting for it too.

On a logic and reasoning note: bg2 ee will be released for android as promised. The proof is in the 1.3 release of bg:ee, the release of bg:ee android, and the release of bg2:ee on other platforms. The bg:ee games use the same engine as their bg2 counterparts. Chances are you own a copy of bg:ee android. The proof is in your hands and is right infront of you :) why would they not release bg2 android? Theyve already done most of the work by making bg1 android. Trent also menioned that bg:ee android exceeded his sales expectations so why not release its arguably better and more successful counterpart? So if most of the work is already done... and a sure fire demand has already been proven for what youre going to sell.... and there are no other extenuating circumstances... why not release bg2 android and cash that check? Hes running a business and releasing bg2 android is definately in his company's best interest and strategy.

Again, from a fellow infinity engine game enthusist, all i can say is hang in there and you will get a great product released across multiple platforms. If you liked iwd and want to play it again, or played bg:ee and enjoyed that, then its extremeely likely you will be satisfied with the results if you remain patient. Bg2 android and 1.3 patch will both be worth the wait im sure. There is no reason to doubt it based on what i see while i hold bg:ee on my nexus tablet and samsung phone in my hands.

On a side note to other impatient people (and i sure as hell am one of them) i will say it again: having perspective matters.

When you have a smaller team and when you have programs with such enormous scopes, a near endless supply of variables, and not to mention these programs, i believe, are based off win 95 code, it then becomes hard to expect there not to be bugs, complications, a lot of testing and retesting, and a long lead time. You just cant magically (no subject matter pun intended) port multiple roughly 80ish hour games based off buggy win 95 code without any linux or mac or mobile code existing, on... i lost count of how many different platforms and operating systems they are supporting... and expect it not to take a while. Try to put it in perspective: they are trying to patch how ever many platforms bg2 is now on(or going to be) while pushing full steam ahead on iwd on... however many different platforms... and possibly other things. So, If you counted each platform they are devloping iwd for as a different game and each platform of bg2ee 1.3 is going on as a different patch and tacked on bg2 android... how many games and patches are they trying to work on at once and trying to maintain quality? And yet... the team has people like @jalily and @dee still find time to answer your forum posts on nights and weekends... hmmmmmmmmmmm...

We are lucky to have people who care as much as we do working on these games.
  • Cr4zyJCr4zyJ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 208
    edited October 2014
    Kesseran said:

8 months for an IOS > android port is beyond ridiculous. I've seen people do the same thing in 2 days that's taken you over 8 months. Thank God for the people who made Gemrb. They did your job for you, in way less time.

I didnt see this before:

Youve seen people put an absolutely enormous 80 hour rpg, based on a windows 95 code based, from a nightmarishly buggy engine, to a completely different and unrelated platform that wouldnt be made until about a decade after when the program was first written, that runs on a fleet of different devices from different manufacturers who each run slightly tweaked versions of that platform.................................. in 2 days?

Can you show me these programs?
    Post edited by Cr4zyJ on