Skip to content

Black Pits 1: no-redo challenge with all-thieves party ***SPOILERS***

SirBaldurSirBaldur Member Posts: 80
Black Pits is great for trying lots of classes you wouldn't otherwise, as well as weird combos. This time, i'm going to try to take 6 thieves through. No-redo means no repeating levels to gain more money. Deciding what [not] to buy is one of the exquisite challenges of the pits. (Note that this isn't a no-reload challenge; at this point, there's no surprises, and part of my interest is to see if i can even do it. There will surely be a fair share of TPKs.)

The obvious downside with thieves is that they don't pack the firepower and hp of the fighter kits. But worse, they lack the magic and healing of the mages and clerics.
* No summoned creatures!
* No haste!
* No glitterdust! (No area effects other than fireball potions!!!)
* No blind!
* No Melf's!
* No insect plague!
These are the bedrock of my previous playthroughs!!!

Compounding the issue, the thieves' main benefits - thief skills - are devalued in the pits. Pickpockets, open locks, find traps, and detect invisibility have very few uses. More to the point, you'd be taking those in place of traps and hide in shadows, which can be more useful, though they are limited and difficult to execute in such a confined space.

On the plus side:
* Assassin's poison ability! Hugely effective, possibly better than Melf's, and something I actively missed in my parties without assassins.
* Untriggered traps do not disappear, but stick around to help out in the next battle. Some might consider placing traps for future battles as cheese; but from a role-play view, it makes perfect sense - you'd definitely do it real life if you found that you could. (What they going to do if they catch you doing it - kill you?) Also, it's a bit of a trick to divert party members to lay traps while the fighting continues. It's easy to wait too long, and risky to attempt it too soon.
Post edited by SirBaldur on

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'm interested to read about your attempt! I like thieves, so an all-thieves party is exactly what I would like to read about :)

Selfies, please :P
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited October 2014
    Cool portraits! You could give them proficiencies in katanas and swords initially, and then go for quarterstaves at lvl 4 for the golems. Also, slings do piercing (missile) damage and thus are useless against clay golems IIRC.

Why didn't you also give Gogo girl a proficiency in sling? ^^ Together with Sophie and other slingers they would wreck a target with strenght damage bullets. She could also be a cool fighter/thief with a mean flail, but ofcourse that does not suit your concept.

You should be able to use wands of sleep, fear and less usefully, magic missiles. I don't remember if they are sold by the vendors though.

And I have lost a whole party of competent characters to the first diseased gibberling batte:my wild mage had surged a sleep spell into a fireball. And fireball and lvl 1 characters don't mix well.
  • SirBaldurSirBaldur Member Posts: 80
    edited October 2014
    lunar said:

You could give them proficiencies in katanas and swords initially, and then go for quarterstaves at lvl 4 for the golems.

Thought about it, but i wanted to get the 2 handed proficiency for better crit sooner. Perhaps I overvalue crit hit.
    lunar said:

Also, slings do piercing (missile) damage and thus are useless against clay golems IIRC.

:( Somehow i didn't realize that. Would have just gone with darts and arrows.
    lunar said:

Why didn't you also give Gogo girl a proficiency in sling? ^^ Together with Sophie and other slingers they would wreck a target with strenght damage bullets.

I really want her to get the 3 pips in 2 weapon, which seems like the best advantage of the class. That means no room to give her a range pip until BP2. I still have a large looming concern that Swashbuckler seems weaker than Blade in the pits. Both get the 3 pips in 2 weapon, but in the pits, 1 offensive spin is usually enough to get you through the meat of the battle, and 2 (level 8 or something) for the whole thing. Add the self-casting defensive spells, their walking AC is easily -2 by 3rd or 4th level, and those buffs will also usually last the entire battle. (1 hour shield is a management issue in BG; it's a lifetime in the pits.) The buffs can continue to get much better as levels increase.

Swashbuckler's permanent AC and Thac0 reduction is great for a long game, but not as valuable in a 2 minute battle. It might prove more beneficial in Pits 2, where pre-buffing is not allowed. Assuming i can get that far (and it is ever released for android :) ).
    lunar said:

She could also be a cool fighter/thief with a mean flail, but ofcourse that does not suit your concept.

Wow, cool idea - really fitting with the char. Definitely worth for consideration for a future run-through or even a BG play.
    lunar said:

And I have lost a whole party of competent characters to the first diseased gibberling batte:my wild mage had surged a sleep spell into a fireball. And fireball and lvl 1 characters don't mix well.

Ha! :) Some people can play with wild mages and find that kind of thing fun. Them peoples ain't me. But it's fun to hear about... from a distance!
    Battle Reports

Ankheg battle wasn't exactly easy for the team. Several potions and most of the party was pretty beat up, had to rotate them around. Eventually was saved by unsprung traps, and no deaths. Pure power combat is not this group's forte.

Spiders were really easy. Beatrix disrupted Parker's (the druid) first cast, and Sophie ran over and backstabbed to finish her off just as she was starting the second. Literally, the battle was basically over in 1 round! The dialogue of O-ren's dart attack is her 3rd; darts are of course 3 attacks per round. The two spiders attacking Go Go are the only enemies left.

One note is that I did use one potion of explosions. Without a blast or a fireball, the pack of little spiders is really a pain; with it, it is a breeze.

Is it unfair to get a potion knowing this? I couldn't decide. It is hard not to metagame, once you know what's coming. I might have everyone with sword proficiencies but for the knowledge of the clay golems coming up.

Plus, most teams will have at least one magic user with a fireball wand or spell. With no area effects, a party of thieves would likely carry some exploding potions.

Still, I decided to try it with a saved file from before the battle. Surprisingly, the big difference wasn't the lack of fireball though. This time, Parker got off the web spell, despite the arrow hit from Beatrix. Having half the team held, and then Sophie held just as she was sneaking in to backstab (Parker is pretty clever to be just inside the web range - hadn't noticed that before), definitely creates some challenges! In the end, the thieves still prevailed, but with 2 deaths.

With that, i felt justified to go forward. Actually the second result was better, since i hadn't wasted my fireball potion, but i am keeping the original play.
    edited October 2014
    Seems there must be a bug in bounty hunter. Not sure if this is pits only or regular bg.

My mentioned the bounty hunter special traps are creating spheres around enemies. I happened to notice today that this effect seems to be a level 16 ability! I've never cast the sphere as a mage, so not really sure what it looks like, but that must be it. The first level special should be in effect - slow.

If this is a bug, i'll have to either pause my all-thieves playthrough (joining my all-bards playthrough on hold due to bug), or have to think about how to scale back my special trap use in a fair way.

Here's a shot where the sphere has let the party prep to attack the last enemy. Yeah, that makes it easy.

Edit: Yup, confirmed the bug even in regular bg. Another char breaker for me. I'm realizing this sphere / hold ability has really made some of the battles easier. Three ogres got caught in spheres, and tackling 3 ogres 1 at a time is a piece of cake; 3 ogres at once would definitely have been some deaths.

First, i may have to go back and run through the battles again from a save file.

Second, not sure what i should do about special traps going forward.

Filed a bug. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/35421/bounty-hunter-special-trap-casts-otilukes-sphere-and-hold-at-first-level#latest
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    I'm just wrapping up an all thief playthrough of the regular series starting with BGEE and making my way into BG2EE so this is really interesting and fun. I hope the trap issue doesn't hold you up for long. Hopefully someone can come up with some quick fixes for the issue.

Thanks to @bengoshi for pointing out this thread in http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/558257/#Comment_558257
    edited October 2014
    Thanks @kcwise. I didn't realize he posted that - that was very kind.

I decided to move forward but with restrictions of only allowing 1 special trap placed per battle. I have 4 special traps per battle, so that seems like a fair balance.
    edited October 2014
    Battle Reports

Thieves were pretty easy. They don't have poison, but are very susceptible to it. Plus our traps were better than theirs. No deaths.

Portals + Ogre Mage didn't go down easily; the team got bloody, but escaped without deaths. Funny thing I learned: the portals have backsides and are susceptible to backstab!

I found this one on accident; later, i tried on the other portals, but without any luck.

Redshirt Wizards got interrupted by poison. They have all those defenses, but +1 arrows / darts worked fine, and that let the poison in. After that, they spent the rest of their time either dying or trying to cast more defense spells. I never saw a cone of cold from either of them. 2 assassins FTW!

The cleric kept casting heal spells on himself to combat the poison. Shadowdancer got in a couple backstabs on the melee guys, and along with a couple extra-strength healing potions and poison, the half-orcs on our team took them out.

Baeloth lost his cool.