Skip to content

Please help me get the Totemic Druid ability, Summon Spirit Animal to work

DragonRiderDragonRider Member Posts: 43
I can't seem to get this ability to work. I created a Totemic Druid, but every time I attempt to use this ability, it does not seem to work. I get a message in the dialog box saying that my Druid activated the ability, but no Spirit Animal appears. I've tried using it several times and in different areas. I've also tried using it in combat and out of combat, but no Spirit Animal is ever summoned.

The only mod I have installed at the moment is Mr. Pennyway's Cosmetic Changes (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/14965/mr-pennyways-cosmetic-changes/p1), but as far as I can tell it only modifies the appearance of non-magical armors and mage robes. I don't think that mod is the issue. Just to be safe though, I exited the game, renamed my Override folder, launched the game, and created a new Totemic Druid. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the same result, no Spirit Animal is summoned when I use the Summon Spirit Animal ability.

I checked the list of known bugs, but did not see anything about this ability in the list. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me get this ability to work.

Thank you,
~DragonRider

Comments

• DragonRiderDragonRider Member Posts: 43
    elminster said:

Click the ability, at the bottom of your screen you will see a series of buttons you can pretty that will look something like this

Click on one of the buttons and then click where you want to cast the spell.

Thank you elminster!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to assist me with this.

I feel really dumb for missing that. I was expecting the ability to work like it did in the original BG2 game where clicking on the Summon Spirit Animal ability summons a random Spirit Animal. I definitely did not expect another menu to appear allowing me to select which specific Spirit Animal I want to summon.

Now that I know how the ability works, I like it a LOT better than the way the original ability worked. Being able to select the Spirit Animal is a really nice feature. It opens up more role playing options and possibly even tactical options. I'm not familiar enough with the stats of the various Spirit Animals, but it may be that some of them may be better than others in certain scenarios. Kudos to the BG:EE Team for this change!

Thank you again elminster.

~DragonRider
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Don’t feel bad. I missed it too at first. I also thought something must be wrong with my game. :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2014

elminster said:

Click the ability, at the bottom of your screen you will see a series of buttons you can pretty that will look something like this

Thank you elminster!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to assist me with this.

I feel really dumb for missing that. I was expecting the ability to work like it did in the original BG2 game where clicking on the Summon Spirit Animal ability summons a random Spirit Animal. I definitely did not expect another menu to appear allowing me to select which specific Spirit Animal I want to summon.

Now that I know how the ability works, I like it a LOT better than the way the original ability worked. Being able to select the Spirit Animal is a really nice feature. It opens up more role playing options and possibly even tactical options. I'm not familiar enough with the stats of the various Spirit Animals, but it may be that some of them may be better than others in certain scenarios. Kudos to the BG:EE Team for this change!

Thank you again elminster.

~DragonRider
    If it makes you feel better you aren't the first person I've answered this question for. So you aren't alone :)
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    huh – does that work with a level-1 totemic druid?
    i'm playing that on android (latest official BG:EE 1.3 version) and couldn't make it work so far (i'll check back later when i have access to the tablet).

I remembered to have read somewhere the animals only come at higher levels, so i thought i just was not ready yet.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @BelegCuthalion‌

Yes, it does. Hence the whole thread. You just have to follow this @elminster‌ 's advice:
    elminster said:

It's easy not to notice (after you have clicked the ability) that you're given a choice of which particular familiar you would like to summon.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2014
    Also make sure you don't move after clicking the ability since that will cancel the ability (and you will lose that casting of it until you rest again).