Skip to content

Cleric/Thief help

Hey all, recently started up a new game and rolled a gnome Cleric/Thief, loving it so far, and the only complaint I have is that my pick lock button is all the way over in my special abilities tab, instead of it being a simple f5 click or something. Any way I can change it so it's more accessible, rather than going into the special abilities tab every time I want to pick a lock? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    edited October 2014
    It's annoying, and so is taking off your armor to do things. I played through BG in record time with a half-orc C/T. Fun and easy for the most part.
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    Lateralus said:

It's annoying, and so is taking off your armor to do things. I played through BG in record time with a half-orc C/T. Fun and easy for the most part.

The joys of RPing a Half-Orc Cleric with 1 Int. But still intelligent enough to pick up the Warhammer +2... Smash Xvart! Smash!

Lateralus said:

The joys of RPing a Half-Orc Cleric with 1 Int. But still intelligent enough to pick up the Warhammer +2... Smash Xvart! Smash!
    He was cunning, 94 point build. Quartstaff for backstabbing. Sanctuary spell plus thief is incredibly useful.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Cleric thief is a very easy solo in BG1, and non-scs BG2 its pretty solid too. The biggest hassle is Speed Weapons, so your APR is lower, but with buffs you hit real hard. Dual class has lots of potential too actually. Lathander priest to thief? Could work.

• ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    I have one question, im running a shadow dancer that i will dual into a cleric, one thing i never try, can you back stab using sanctuary?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I have one question, im running a shadow dancer that i will dual into a cleric, one thing i never try, can you back stab using sanctuary?

No.
  • Cal_ElCal_El Member Posts: 56
    Assigning a Key for Thieving skills is the way foward. Specially if you use a Mac holding fn plus f5 is anoyying lol. So Pick Locks assigned to 'S' and Hide in Shadows to 'F' saves alot of micro management
    edited October 2014
    What eliminster said, but I would have broke the news gentler because I was devastated when I found that out play testing it! You CAN open containers and remain invisible, which is a huge coo. I think townsfolk might still alert guards but they wont see you. There are a lot of quests you can complete at low level without needing to pump points into stealth skills, thanks to Sanctuary. SO keep that in mind will allocating those precious points.

Also, if anybody takes a half-orc like I did, you will find that a 19 STR can open a lot of locked stuff, and potions can be the back up for that. Another amazingly awesome fit with that spell and thief skills, is the detect illusion ability. If you put just 10-20% points into it you will find that it will dispell a mages defenses well before your Sanctuary spell expires. Think of it this way, you're rolling that 20% skill check 7 or 8 times before you have to worry about being spotted! A lot of what plagues the sneaky thief with other builds is an asset for the cleric/thief.

And as I mentioned before, get to know how to hit with a quarterstaff. There's a really powerful one that you can get pretty quickly, AND do not forget about the +4 hit while backstabbing. The only thing left is a good Create Water spell, because you're going to be covered in chunks the whole game!
  • badbromancebadbromance Member Posts: 238
    Cal_El said:

Assigning a Key for Thieving skills is the way foward. Specially if you use a Mac holding fn plus f5 is anoyying lol. So Pick Locks assigned to 'S' and Hide in Shadows to 'F' saves alot of micro management

This NEEDS to be done to makes the class playable.
    Which is a shame because it's a great class for a utility/support character and gives you flexability assembling a group. Particularly if you want to run a 3/4 man group and cover all bases.

Also use DUHM to boost Dex which in effect boosts most thief skills, before scouting/backstabbing/locks/traps. This tactic also alows you to spread points more too
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    "Coup" not "coo"
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited October 2014
    Klorox said:

"Coup" not "coo"

Coo! You be the one I be lookin' for, if I not be mistaken.
    Nimran said:

Klorox said:

"Coup" not "coo"

Coo! You be the one I be lookin' for, if I not be mistaken.
    Lol