Vanessa - 96p Human Inquisitor
Oji - 94p Human Monk
Idris - 97p Elf Stalker
Anaïs - 96p Elf Shadowdancer
Amber - 95p Human Sorceress

Comments

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2013
    I struggled immensely with the drow fight though because of the spell resistance, in the end I had the sorc, mage, bard and cleric spam skeleton warriors and after zerging the mage and priestess just ran away loads with 3 x MMM and the Archer killing stuff. The Inquisitor and Rancler were long dead, their sacrifice allowed the drow mage and priestess to get killed in time and for the rest of the group to escape behind their summons.
  • SpiffyMcBangSpiffyMcBang Member Posts: 160
    I just brought over my party from the first Black Pits. Three half-orcs (no, I wasn't min-maxing, what makes you say that?), a fighter, fighter/cleric, and swashbuckler. Human kensai, human cleric, and gnome illusionist. Basically, I took a bunch of characters I rolled to prepare for multiplayer BG:EE with a friend of mine, which never got used, and tossed them into the Pits.
    edited November 2013
    I had a bug and had to start again, one of my characters kept disappearing after combat. Well, I needed to respec the sorcerers spells because Initially I took fireball which was useless in these arenas and wanted to change it to flame arrow so she could at least apply spike damage with something a bit heavier than MM.

I tired copying my save over to the MP directory, simply changed the character ingame, added the same EXP back, copied back to SP. And then she broke and kept vanishing after each fight.

I got up to the fallen deva fight, those are causing me even more pain than the Drow did.

I also changed the R>C to a multiclass R/C instead, because he wasnt getting to use many spells in this arena so I'd like some fighter HLAs on him too.

I found another bit of a gold saving trick to use for the Archer:

Buy a strongarm and girdle of hill giant strength (the bow needs 19 str, but also hs the most bonus damage and he has far more than enough Thaco). Use the girdle to equip the strongarm, then take the girdle off and pass it to the Blade. The bow stays equipped :D

Maybe a bug more so than a trick, but I like it.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Cavalier
    Inquisitor
    Dwarf F/C
    Gnome F/T
    Elf Sorcerer x2

I initially started with a four-person party and the drow fight was really hard for me too (that poison wtf!) and I took too many blase picks with my sorcerer.

So I made this new party and prioritsed the Sequencers and Contingencies since you can prepare them in the bunk room. Sequencers of 3x Skull Trap allows you to breeze through all the fights up to the drow and Triggers of 2x Animate Dead + Haste made the drow fight very manageable. I sent my F/T around the other way with Arrows of Dispelling and occupied the mage and priestess and it was a very manageable fight.
  • GiladGilad Member Posts: 38
    Human Inquisitor - for killing mages and for low shop prices thanks to high charisma.

Dwarven Berserker - for killing ... hmm ... everything

Half-orc Fighter/mage - support fighter, traps, thief job outside the arena

Human Avenger - used mainly for summoning, buffing, insect swarm & creeping doom

Human Skald - song, magical support, debuffing (greater malison, lower resistance). To my dissapointment his high level traps did not work :-(

Human Sorcerer - I was suprised how strong this character was in the end (I didnt play a sorcerer before). Timestop -> Improved alacricity (spelling?) -> Comets -> Chain eventuality to cast 3 horrid wiltings on the nearest enemy at once and the fight was almost over after this sequence
  • GiladGilad Member Posts: 38
    Correction - Half-orc Fighter/thief not mage
    edited November 2013
    I think it would be nice to post any nice gear you get off the fans here too. I forgot to ask for an item in the drow fight (herp derp), went back to it at a higher level and managed to flawless it, and I got this sweet bard armour with 1 base AC:

And also a couple of rounds before that I got this sword, its only +2 but it has charm protection, HP gain on hit, and both my blade and kensai are using longswords since its one on the weapons you can create:

So I have 3 charm immune players now, Inquisitor, Cleric with a charm proof helmet, and the Kensai since the Blade has a much higher spell save.
    edited November 2013
    I also made a short video of the elemental mage fight, only because I was amused with how quick I kill him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HII0-EncZa4&feature=youtu.be

(watch in full screen and increase the resolution if you can).
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    Is there any way to play with normal BG2 NPCs? My biggest complaint about Black Pits 1 was that the party was boring and personality-less, more like IWD than BG. It seems like it would be so much more fun with the NPCs we know from the game.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited November 2013
    Kaxon said:

Is there any way to play with normal BG2 NPCs? My biggest complaint about Black Pits 1 was that the party was boring and personality-less, more like IWD than BG. It seems like it would be so much more fun with the NPCs we know from the game.

Nope.. no way - of course you could "rebuild" them as own chars, but without banter etc. of course. Well.. perhaps a mod could.

I guess it was Beamdogs intention to give the people the best of both worlds.. meaning "BG/BG2" with new NPCs for the people who like that style and the "The Black Pits" series for people who like the IWD style.. and also like to test lots of builds etc. - of course you also can play BG/BG2 with your own created chars, but then you miss lots of quests etc. if you don't mix own NPCs with the ones included.. in the end I've to agree, that I'd also (always) would like some kind of choice like it will be done in Project Eternity.. a mix of own created chars and some deep personality-rich NPCs.
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    Someone on these forums laid the groundwork for it, you could change to the BP2 areas from BG2 for example, but were under the mercy of its scripts that removed all items.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    edited November 2013
    @Kaxon

Here, read through this:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/25021/black-pits-ii-run-during-soa-a-la-watcher-s-keep

It's a pain in the ass, but it's doable :/

@Mungri
    Any chance you could upload the high-res pic of that sorceress of yours? :)
    Thanks @TvrtkoSvrdlar. I saw that thread, but I was hoping there would be an easier way, since I don't care about doing it DURING my SOA playthrough, I just want to use the SOA characters. It seems like there should be some easy way to change who's in your party. (Why in the world don't they just let you select regular NPCs when you're building your party??) I'm going to see if I can use CLUAConsole to make NPCs appear and then try to get them to join just by talking to them.
    Hmm, I guess that idea isn't possible. UGH. Seems like such an obvious thing, I don't know why they didn't just build it in.
  • maneromanero Member Posts: 392
    edited December 2013
    Couple of questions for my incoming BP2 campain...

1. Is archer any good in BP2?
    2. Is it possible to reach the levels that allow you to get HLA? If yes, how soon?

Im going to play with 6 people party.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    I'm just a lone Elf Sorcerer. I found it odd that I could level so very quickly. After each fight in tier 1 and 2, I seemed to level at least once! Woo!

Not done yet. Don't spoiley.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @manero

1. Yes.

2. Yes, that's the point. You should gain HLAs after finishing the first tier. Ergo, you have HLAs through most of TBP2.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Mine was something like this (I only played one battle).
    Sir Laughalot (male Inquisitor)
    Sillyvan (female Skald)
    Allinside (female Fighter/Mage)
    Rottenguard (male Berkserker->Cleric)
    Crossedatme (male Archer)
    Walkcastrun (male Conjurer)
  • JurisJuris Member Posts: 113
    My first run was a power team of Inquistor, Dwarven Defender, Elf Multi Fi/Ma/Th, Elf Archer, Dw Fi/Cl, and Wild Mage. Very powerful, no surprise there.
    Then I started messing around. I tried one party with a pure Elf Assassin and a Skald. At first I didn't think a pure thief could amount to anything - but after a 200 point backstab I changed my mind. Improved haste and the Guantlets of Mastery (the ones that give you bonus attacks) make the Assassin a decent melee character). The Assassin nearly always had a St of 23 because of Alchemical potions - which is big deal in BP2 because it gives you free potions (I took Alchemy twice).
    I was disappointed that the Skald's class ability was made totally obsolete by the bard HLA bardsong (which replaces the Skald's bardsong). However, that HLA bard song really made a noticeable difference.
    Ran an archer both times. Spent tons of money on arrows but it was worth it. The actual damage inflicted was less important than the effect of HLA's and the archer's called shot power. Numerous times I sent enemies flying away after hitting them with an arrow. An archer can really keep the weaker characters safe that way.
  • JackAranJackAran Member Posts: 3
    Mine's simple. I have a six-team bounty hunter party. Just throw a volley of long range traps at the enemies from afar, and let pure havoc rip on the bloody grounds of Thay. The only stuff I used were oils of speed,potions of invisibility, boots of speed for some characters and potions of healing. In my party I pumped most skill points into Move Silently, Hide In Shadows and Set Traps.

My main character only started to level up once I attained enough XP points to upgrade his traps to the Maze ones, and able to obtain high level abilites such as Spike Traps. The rest of the others continue to stay up till level 15 for the entire duration of the BP2 game as I purposely retained their long range trap damage abilities. It may sound cheesy to have this kind of party. And contrary to what others might say about this technique, I'd say that you could still lose a fight even with a cheesy trap strategy to your dirty advantage. You still need to have good strategy to be able to take out high level opponents such as Leah RedSun and her Bone Golems, the DemiLiches etc. Even the Elemental Wizard with his minions and his summons can be tough as well, but with some cunning maneuvers you can overcome him easily.

Here are some tips that will tip the scales of combat to your advantage, sometimes even before you start to fight at all! (If you are attempting to use traps strategy, that is):

(1) Before a current battle ends (preferably with one enemy left around), have your trap setters lay at least six traps at the point where you know the next enemy will appear in the next fight on the same grounds that you have fought before. In that way, when you revisit that same battleground again with a new bunch of enemies, they'll either be all critically injured, or lying all dead before the battle even begins.

Cheesy? Yes. Effective? Guaranteed! To me, its all about the results. I don't care about a fair fight at all. Untriggered traps that are laid will remain where they are even if combat for the current round ends. So use that to your advantage.

(2) If you are playing a main character, or have others as a bounty hunter with combination of other thief classes(except shadowdancers), or IF your party are all are bounty hunters, when you have one of them level up enough to obtain Maze traps and high level ability traps such as Spike Traps, you can throw Maze traps to make enemies disappear and recharge your depleted traps in the midst of combat by resting ( the only exception is the Bhaal cultist battle, where the ravager cannot be Mazed and maybe one or two other battles).

Yes, you can rest even amidst raging chaos with this method. The only downside is, when the enemies reappeared back into the battlefield after you have rested, their hit points will be restored back as normal as before a fight occurs.

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    ^Sounds pretty boring.
  • JackAranJackAran Member Posts: 3
    Lol. It all depends on each person on how they wanna play it. Its fun for me though. Maybe some magic can be added to it of course to make it interesting. Its up to you to make it more fun yourself. To each his own preference of play. :)
  • jigglefloydjigglefloyd Member Posts: 21
    Human: Blackguard
    Half-Orc: Berserker
    Human: Berserker / Cleric
    Half-Elf: Skald
    2 Elf Sorcerers

Blackguard is your front line tank that rips apart the THAC0, DMG, and AC of opponents.

Pure Berserker is your primary melee DPS w/ 2H Sword, buff him with improved haste and let him loose.

Berserker / Cleric is your only cleric support that is quite decent at fighting as well.

Skald buffs ally THAC0, DMG, and AC. The HLA improved song is amazing. Also additional mage support.

2 Elf Sorcerers mainly used for summoning, charming, and destroying mage defenses.

I'm not done yet, no spoilers please, but it's going fairly well so far. I think an Inquisitor may better a better choice than the Blackguard, but with the Skald song + Blackguard ability you get an 8 THAC0, DMG, and AC difference between your allies and opponents.

I imagine once my sorcerers both get a few more HLAs and level 9 spells I won't have much trouble in fights. So far I really like BPII though, really challenging and fun.
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    I've played BP2 a couple of times, by most recent run being with 2x berzerkers, 2x barbarians, & 2x defenders, all dwarven, all with the same stats. I got through to the final fight against the hunters, but tanked and gave up.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34880/barbie-vs-zerker-now-with-dwarven-defenders/p2

Two things were really clear - first, barbarians are brilliant, zerkers are extremely good, defenders are pretty good; and second, I'd swap any three of them for a sorceror :D
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    Here is my party from last week:

Kilgor dwarven fighter/thief
    Bragor dwarven barbarian
    Trigor dwarven priest of lathander
    Mellom elven ranger (racial enemy:demon fell)
    Trinity elven fighter/mage
    Selen human pally (undead hunter)

I really enjoyed this run,only 2 survived the last battle but it was fun.
  • OHBornRockerOHBornRocker Member Posts: 9
    Human Inquisitor, Half Or Barbarian, Human Shapeshifter... everyone in the Black Pits say my werewolf's hair is perfect
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    edited November 2014
    What do you guys think of a Shadow Dancer 13 -> Fighter?

EDIT:
    Thinking of the following team

Human Inquisitor for mage dispelling and true seeing
    Human Dragon Disciple for blasting and timestopping
    Dwarf Fighter/Cleric for a brawler with clerical magic
    Dwarf Berserker for a killing machine
    Human Kensai 14 -> Mage for hopefully another killing machine.
    Human Shadow Dancer 14 -> Fighter for backstabbing many times in one fight.

I would have to dual at 14, not 13, due to the way experience progression works in BP2.

Assassin is a possibility - higher backstab and poison weapon. But I would have to dual the assassin later to get any benefit out of it.

Is backstab useful in BP2?

EDIT 2:

I've come up with a theme for the party names and finalized (I think) the party classes. I might post a thread detailing my exploits, since this will be my first time through Black Pits (of any kind).

So, the party will be:
    Human Inquisitor
    Elf Sorcerer (decided against Dragon Disciple)
    Human Berserker 14-> Cleric
    Human Shadow Dancer 14-> Fighter
    Human Assassin 12 -> Mage
    Human Kensai 14 -> Mage

Yes, a lot of dual classes. I'm hoping I can pull it off. If I can pass the first few battles, they will all regain their inactive class abilities. The Assassin 12 -> Mage will regain his after the first battle.
    Post edited by Ancalagon44 on