Skip to content

Add Thief/Mage/Cleric Multiclass

AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Why not?

We do have come classes from 3rd edition DND rules after all..

BTW bug with backstabbing with quarterstaff has been fixed in BGEE?
Post edited by Anton on
KaxonAkerhonRoller12CrevsDaak

Comments

• LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Anton said:

Why not?

Show me a AD&D 2e manual that gives such an option, and i will agree with you. and fight for it.

Otherwise THAT'S why not.
    QuartzDukeOfSuffolkHaHaCharadeCrevsDaak
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Don't believe that particular multi-class exists within the ruleset the game is supposedly following and they'd have to add all manner of other multi-classes too if this one got in. I'd want a Fighter/Bard.
    Quartz
  • DeisDeis Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2012

Don't believe that particular multi-class exists within the ruleset the game is supposedly following and they'd have to add all manner of other multi-classes too if this one got in. I'd want a Fighter/Bard.

I believe that's called a Blade ; )

Though seriously if they were to do any sort of overhaul of classes, I would hope a move to the 3.5 way of operating would be chosen. I just love my class combinations!
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    @Anton I personally think that that idea is a great one! There's fighter/Mage/cleric so I don't see why this cant be included as well. If the only excuse is that it doesn't follow 2e, then that's a pretty bad excuse because pertaining to classes... They use certain 3e classes.
    Anton
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    If i'm not wrong doesn't exist even thief/clerics, no? AD&D forbbiden to any cleric the use of blades if i'm not wrong, and a thief without blades... well maybe that's why. Not sure, just thinking aloud :)!
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    A thief/mage/cleric would be without armor and be restricted to blunt weapons. yikes.
    SneakyDumpling
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    @bigdogchris At the end of the game, they'd also have strength 25, perfect protection against everything (including Ctrl Y) and 9 attacks with Belm and Kundane at maximum damage. And much much more. This is a late bloomer, but it is also a powergamer's wet dream.
    moody_mageUlfgar_Torunn
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    kamuizin said:

If i'm not wrong doesn't exist even thief/clerics, no? AD&D forbbiden to any cleric the use of blades if i'm not wrong, and a thief without blades... well maybe that's why. Not sure, just thinking aloud :)!

Thief/Cleric is a viable multi-class. You have to be a gnome, I think. Possibly half-elf, but I am like 90% sure it's restricted to gnomes. Tiax is one, for example. He's the best of the "bad" NPCs in BG1.

You can still inflict backstabs with any thief weapon, meaning you could use clubs and quarterstaves until you unlock Use All Items.
    Gnomes and half orcs. Believe it or not my older brother made a female half Orc cleric thief. A thief/cleric/Mage would be limited to backstabbing with a club or quarter staff..... Staff of the magi for invisibility anyone?
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Added:
    Anton said:

We do have come classes from 3rd edition DND rules after all..

BTW bug with backstabbing with quarterstaff has been fixed in BGEE?

• DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Xavioria said:

Gnomes and half orcs. Believe it or not my older brother made a female half Orc cleric thief. A thief/cleric/Mage would be limited to backstabbing with a club or quarter staff..... Staff of the magi for invisibility anyone?

Staff of Magi is not single class thief viable, hence BS incapable.

Xavioria said:

@Anton I personally think that that idea is a great one! There's fighter/Mage/cleric so I don't see why this cant be included as well. If the only excuse is that it doesn't follow 2e, then that's a pretty bad excuse because pertaining to classes... They use certain 3e classes.

Then go play IWD2 or TOEE? They have 3e rules and you can make any combo you want.

(PS, those 3 classes were a poor excuse to get people excited for 3e...don't use that as an excuse for your blasphemy)
    Quartz
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    I personally have wanted a thief/mage/cleric since I discovered the existence of multiclass. That way I could take whoever I wanted and not have to worry about who my companions were for balance.
    AntonXavioriaKen
    @Dazzu
    Even if you can't backstab with it, you can still use it to get out of the room after a backstab, change weapons, hide again and come back for another backstab.
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    What... what's the point? O.o

Reminds me of a certain fighter / rogue / sorcerer that didn't want to be a Bard like his good twin...
    The_New_Romance
    @Raistlin82 Read my first post. At high levels, a TMC would be a monster. It is definitely a build that benefits from soloing (and removing the XP cap).
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377

kamuizin said:

Thief/Cleric is a viable multi-class. You have to be a gnome, I think. Possibly half-elf, but I am like 90% sure it's restricted to gnomes. Tiax is one, for example. He's the best of the "bad" NPCs in BG1.

You can still inflict backstabs with any thief weapon, meaning you could use clubs and quarterstaves until you unlock Use All Items.
    Thief/Cleric is available as a dual-class combination and as a multi-class combination for the gnome and half-orc.

Personally, I like the options the way they are. If I were to alter anything I would ask that the halfling be allowed the thief/cleric option. But as is, I'm happy.
    Anton
    I wouldn't mind extra content if it isn't hurting or changing anything. It's an enhanced edition, that has a feature request part in the forums lol. I think it's a good request personally and I would love other multi classing options.
    AntonGrandeC
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Nah, the idea is to form a party to combine strengths (as per the whole concept of D&D). A thief/mage/cleric would be a one stop shop - they'd be able to cover all bases.

A solo-powerbuilders wet dream indeed :D
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I support this idea. But only if Tiax is turned into one. With thievery, magic, and divine spells, Tiax would rule all.
    AntonDarkchanter
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    elminster said:

Tiax would rule all.

I thought he allready did. He told me so in Spellhold! Was he lying? :O
    QuartzMoomintrollDarkchanter
    Anton said:

BTW bug with backstabbing with quartersaff has been fixed in BGEE?

It's not a bug! You CAN backstab with all Thief weapons. Don't take away the best aspect of a DUHM/Righteous Magic backstab C/T

That said, if a player wants to mod in this class, let them... on the other hand, find me a 2E C/T/M and be reasonable about it.

Hmmm, also you seem to thumbs up anyone who says yes, that's just desperate.

Dazzu said:

Anton said:

BTW bug with backstabbing with quartersaff has been fixed in BGEE?

It's not a bug! You CAN backstab with all Thief weapons. Don't take away the best aspect of a DUHM/Righteous Magic backstab C/T

That said, if a player wants to mod in this class, let them... on the other hand, find me a 2E C/T/M and be reasonable about it.

Hmmm, also you seem to thumbs up anyone who says yes, that's just silly.

edited August 2012
    Dazzu said:

It's not a bug! You CAN backstab with all Thief weapons.

You will admit though that using iron golem to backstab is a tad strange?
    Dazzu said:

find me a 2E C/T/M and be reasonable about it.

I guess Elminster doesn't count?
    "Elminster has been a fighter, a thief, and a priest (a priestess, actually) before he became a mage. However, all the skills he picked up in those classes have been neglected over the years and are no longer available to him."
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Dazzu said:

Hmmm, also you seem to thumbs up anyone who says yes, that's just desperate.

What can I say... I disparately want to play it ;)
    Xavioria
    edited August 2012

I guess Elminster doesn't count?
    "Elminster has been a fighter, a thief, and a priest (a priestess, actually) before he became a mage. However, all the skills he picked up in those classes have been neglected over the years and are no longer available to him."

Elminster is a human, therefore he dual classed (in P&P you can dual class more than once)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Maybe they should implement the Fighter/Mage/Druid, which is listed in the manual as its own combination.
    The_New_RomanceXavioria
    I SAY YES TO FIGHTER/MAGE/DRUID OMFG WANT
    jankiel
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    It's quite obvious that the only reason anyone would want to play as a Thief/Mage/Cleric would be to gain access to the Use Any Item HLA. This kind of character is difficult to imagine (as are most tripled classed characters) from a roleplaying perspective, and thanks to UAI, is extremely over powered. (@Humanoid_Taifun gives a more detailed description)

I don't place the blame on the class combination itself, but rather on UAI. This ability completely dwarfs the rest of the HLA, and leads to such terrors as the Kensai/Thief, the Wizard Slayer/Thief, and of course the Fighter/Mage/Thief. Before the T/M/C can even be considered, Use Any Item must be completely reinvented.