Skip to content

Small Party Playthrough Idea, Need RP Advice

In a nutshell, I want to play through BGEE with just a F/M/C and Imoen and then take a small party through BG2. The RP Idea is that Gorion's death and the slew of assassins coming after them makes Charname paranoid and unwilling to rely on anyone except their childhood friend. Charname is good aligned, just suspicious of anyone who tries to get too close.

The abduction by Irenicus, however, lances the unrealistic notion that they are safe like that, and Charname realizes that going after Irenicus alone is not feasible. At the same time, they are unwilling to trust their safety to anyone who does not seem to be both completely trustworthy and reliable. Leaving aside the metagame knowledge that most NPCs will not turn on you aside from specific circumstances, who would fit that bill in BG2? This is particularly tricky with the Thief NPCs, because Charname knows how vital having a Thief around is, but Yoshimo and Hexxat don't appear trustworthy, Nalia doesn't appear reliable (a bit too naive and unskilled), and Jan appears to be neither. I may go with Yoshimo just for the ease of handing him off for Imoen, but I'm having trouble justifying it.

For other NPCs, I'm thinking Mazzy and maybe Rasaad. Keldorn and Jaheira are both nominally trustworthy, but have other loyalties that may conflict if they take an unkind interest in Charname's heritage. Valygar's deep suspicion against mages similarly makes him suspect in Charname's eyes. Nalia and Aerie both seem too naive and untested; they don't seem like they would betray Charname, but they might fail at a crucial juncture due to inexperience. Aside from that, the Neutral NPCs generally appear flaky, and the Evil NPCs have obvious issues. Is there anything I'm overlooking?

Comments

• I really strongly considered Keldorn, because you're right, he mostly fits the template my character is looking for, but I see them being a bit wary of groups like the Radiant Heart and being concerned about what might happen if they get wind of their heritage. That said, I seem to remember him having a banter with the protagonist about their heritage that might mollify things; maybe I'll keep him around for the Cult of the Eyeless quest and see if that banter comes up and how my character reacts when it does.

Ironically, Rasaad's being on the outs with the Sun Soul Monks when you meet him in BG2 might make him appear more trustworthy, given that he's obviously willing to defy them for the sake of personal concerns. He's obviously capable, and his heavy reliance on the protagonist as a moral compass suggests that he'd be unlikely to turn on them.

Nalia and Aerie would both be great companions if my character were a little more willing to look past first impressions and give people a chance to prove themselves, but I see the reaction being "these people clearly have as little idea of how the world works as I did prior to leaving Candlekeep, and I've no interest in shepherding them through their realization." (Normally I'm a big fan of Aerie and try to include her in most of my good parties).
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    I guess it depends on which is the most dominant fear for the character. Is fear of being betrayed greater than fear of having to deal with the unpredictability of an inexperienced companion? If betrayal is the primary worry then characters like Aerie and Nalia might be a better choice because who would choose such unlikely people as potential spies? Minsc, also, for his somewhat unstable mental state seems like an unlikely choice for a spy. Inexperience can be eliminated during the course of an adventure, but treachery never ends.

If you're interested in taking Yoshimo I think it could make sense from an RP perspective. A suspicious character might agree to take him along when they first meet just to avoid leaving a potential enemy lurking behind. If Yoshimo then proves himself during the fight to the surface a grudging amount of trust might begin to build. And, given the character's fears, Yoshimo's storyline could make for some fun RP moments.