Skip to content

Character Mid-alignment crisis

NyroxNyrox Member Posts: 19
I'm having an alignment crisis with a character of mine and I was wondering if the community here could help. I'm fairly sure my grasp on the alignment system isn't 100% but I'll try to provide as much as I can. If needed I can try to give more if more information is needed.

-Will gladly accept working along with evils, but won't trust them and kill them if he catches them doing anything evil*
-Believes evil can be done for the benefit of good
-Respects laws but often hates them and will break them without a second thought if he feels it's necessary
-Will perform evil acts to do good
-Despises Lawful Good Characters, viewing them as "too good"
-Can see the difference between good and evil, but only prefers good a little more
-Will generally only help others if it aids him too
-Prefers to follow a persons actions and words rather than alignment
-Generally tries not to harm anyone who he thinks doesn't deserve it, but will harm others if he thinks it's necessary

He is mostly a caster of dark or forbidden arts, but is in this field because he is researching from experience, then attempting to teach others how to protect themselves from said arts.

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Sounds Lawful Evil. Maybe an unusual Lawful Neutral. Both excel at bitterness.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    I'd say Neutral Evil. The character does whatever he thinks is best and whatever matches his own definition of "good", whether through lawful or chaotic means and without regard to how evil the actions might seem to others. He is also mainly out to take care of his own interests, which in the alignment system usually is seen as evil.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    TN/NE
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    In my mind I would definitely play him as Neutral, but which sub-species? On balance I would go for True Neutral (but I'm not convinced).
  • alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    I'd say on the border of Chaotic Good and Chaotic Neutral.
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    that'll be a Clueless Nyrox. One and only :)
  • NyroxNyrox Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the responses. I am really surprised that a lot of people decided on an evil as I never saw him as an evil, but I did suspect that he might come across as evil. I did attempt to make him appear as an evil person at first, but to the few people who has earned his friendship are pretty confident he is not evil.

Almost makes me think I should try to add more information about him. Again, I'm sure my grasp is not 100%, but I thought being evil had more requirements. I did a test on him over the weekend, ( http://www.easydamus.com/alignmenttest.html ), I'm not following this as definitive, but his results where as follows: http://puu.sh/cpufZ.png which matches what my friend thought as he agreed he'd be Chaotic Neutral.

I did play him as a True Neutral on NWN2 and let his actions change his alignment and he bounced all over the place, though he never touched any evil or lawful alignment, he bounced around NG, CG, TN, CN and it never stayed the same for long.
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Alignment is probably the most subjective aspect of character development. The main decider, other than the player's own ideas, is the dungeon master or computer in charge of the alignment system. I've known DMs who allowed paladins to pal around with backstabbing, old lady robbing, thieves because the needs of the group were better served by allowing both players to use the class they wanted rather than make everyone unhappy by "sticking to the rules." And when the computer decides the rules you get situations where Lawful Good characters can rob, murder, and otherwise commit heinous acts without any impact on their alignment.

Generalized descriptions of alignment serve as a good guideline for where a character falls in the spectrum, but they shouldn't serve as a straight jacket. If you feel your character concept fits a Chaotic Neutral or True Neutral alignment and you can make that clear to your DM or "role play" it successful in the computer game you're playing, then it's the right alignment.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Alignment is stupid.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2014
    Either one of the neutrals. It all depends on how much "evil" you are doing in order to do this "good". I'd say neutral good but the first condition alone probably rules that out.
  • NyroxNyrox Member Posts: 19
    It is true that the alignment shouldn't be a straight jacket. I do use it as more of a guide and what I should roughly role-play as, but some characters I have, like this one, I literally have no idea of where to put them and just end up giving them what I think is best.

Originally this character was Chaotic Good as I thought that suited him best. But when I learned more about I realised, as our friendly, wandering, indulgent old man did, I was tripped up on the first hurdle and realised he failed to qualify as any of the good alignments.

He'd do as much evil as he thinks is necessary, but does draw a line between what is "good" and what is "evil". I would imagine that any act was evil enough to shift his alignment into evil he would refuse to do it or find a less evil alternative.
  • gettincrzygettincrzy Member Posts: 21
    edited November 2014
    Uhm maybe just me but your character sounds neutral hypocrite. I like the alignment system because at least it tries but I don't think it accurately counts the details. There are moral, ethical, and situational factors that apply. I always sort of pictured it as fluid, not a hard, defined role.