Skip to content

CPU temps

RustyShacklefordRustyShackleford Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Troubleshooting
My cpu idles around 45c with a stock cooler but when I launch BG1 it raises to 65-70c is there a way to fix this? I have tried compatibility mode with windows XP SP 3 and 2000 with no luck.

GOG version original not EE

I7 950
windows 7

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    first of all, 45 is a high idle, and usually when cpus hit 62 Celsius they will sometimes turn off your pc especially if they are hitting 70 im amazed that your pc doesn't crash, so there could be 1 of 2 things; the software telling you your cpu temps is wrong, or how the heatsink is connected to the cpu, if you have too much silver compound between your cpu and heatsink that will actually insulate that heat in there, or if your cpu wasn't 100% clean prior to putting on the silver compound you could have a speck of dirt in between your cpu and the compound and even a speck of dirt can make a big difference, now if you are looking at your bios and it says that you are running at 45 Celsius idle, then I would suggest taking your heatsink off, clean both the heatsink and cpu with 100% cleaning alcohol ( nothing less than 99%) and make sure there is absolutely no dirt or grime or smudges on either piece ( don't even touch it with your finger) then put a dab of silver paste on your cpu and put your heatsink back on, you don't need a lot of cpu paste, its only purpose is to help ground the cpu and heatsink properly, too much of it and that heat gets trapped, hopefully this has helped
    lolien
  • YovanethYovaneth Member Posts: 691
    sarevok57 is most likely correct about the cpu seating.

Clean both the cpu and the heatsink with a lint-free cloth. 'Lint free' is very important because otherwise you can leave behind an invisible thread that will cause the same problem all over again.

When it comes to using the heatsink paste, you want a lump no more than about 3-4mm in diameter. Use a good heatsink compound such as Arctic Silver. When fastening the heatsink down again, get to the point where you can feel the fasteners starting to tighten up and then rotate the heatsink back and forth a couple of times to smear the paste across the cpu. This will fill in the microscopic pits in the heatsink base and the cpu heat spreader. Now finish clamping it down.

You don't say what your cpu is - I'm running an i7-3770K 3.5Ghz overclocked to 4.4Ghz on air - and I'm idling at 33. On a stock cooler with no overclock I'd expect about the same, so whatever you're running, idle should be mid-20s to mid-30s.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    I wouldn't do anything to your CPU unless you're certain there's a problem. You said yourself you have stock cooling, and for all we know, you could be living in a hot desert somewhere...

Many GOG(Good Old Games) make the PC work harder than it should, but that's just how old games are... Look up any game from the 90's and you'll find threads just like this one.

I'd just clear the dust and close any background programs. And maybe use FRAPS to make sure your FPS isn't going crazy, because some older games will run at thousands of FPS if you let them, which strains the hell out of everything.