Skip to content

Evil Ranger Kit

13»

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Noobacca said:

So what are the actual chances of something like this being added? Would Beamdog/Overhaul look at these forums and consider any of these ideas? Or would it be more likely for a modder to come along and create it themselves?

Doubt Beamdog has any alive interest in Baldur's Gate. With all due respect, no more profit to get here, unless they attempt to touch the DLC ideas. Sincerelly seeing they're working with an engine which source key items (like most of the art work) they don't have, i presume the next step of beamdog (if any at all) is an initial start from zero project.

I would approve new adventures made in infinite engine (not related to BG saga but long enough as that one), but i doubt that's going to happen.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    kamuizin said:

Doubt Beamdog has any alive interest in Baldur's Gate.

Although I am under NDA, I think it's safe to say that Baldur's Gate is still not dead ...
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Edvin said:

kamuizin said:

Doubt Beamdog has any alive interest in Baldur's Gate.

Although I am under NDA, I think it's safe to say that Baldur's Gate is still not dead ...
    Maybe for a future and possible new game, a BG III or alike, but for improvment in BG:EE and BG2:EE even not being in the inner circle i dare to guess that there's no project or idea of project active atm, am i wrong? (if your NDA compromisse refrain you of proper answer my affirmative, i will understand @Edvin).
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    kamuizin said:

I dare to guess that there's no project or idea of project active atm, am i wrong? (if your NDA compromisse refrain you of proper answer my affirmative, i will understand @Edvin).

Dee said:

There's at least one new feature in this patch that we haven't announced yet, and for the people that will want to use it it'll be pretty darn exciting. Stay tuned!

• LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Edvin said:

kamuizin said:

I dare to guess that there's no project or idea of project active atm, am i wrong? (if your NDA compromisse refrain you of proper answer my affirmative, i will understand @Edvin).

Dee said:

There's at least one new feature in this patch that we haven't announced yet, and for the people that will want to use it it'll be pretty darn exciting. Stay tuned!

Death Reaper Druids!! The Harvesters of Sorrow!

Weapons restricted to scythes that do 1d12 +1 damage per level.

May wear metal armor.

May cast and poll from any arcane necromancy spell.

And oh yeah..."MIST RUNNER" EVIL RANGERS!!

KERBLARGH!!!

• NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    So, it's been a few months since I last posted in this thread to share my thoughts on an Evil Ranger kit and something got me thinking about it again. I did a bit of research on PnP classes and kits and I found one that sounded pretty good for a new ranger kit - the bloodhound (http://dndtools.eu/classes/bloodhound/).

So here is what I threw together based on the PnP bloodhound...

Desc:
    A bloodhound tracks down wrongdoers and brings them to whatever justice awaits them. Low-level bloodhounds depend on their keen senses and careful training to hunt their targets. As they gain experience, their obsessive determination gives them supernatural abilities that make them nearly unstoppable.

Though some bloodhounds leave calling cards or even brands on their targets, most don’t kill their quarry if they can help it. They prefer instead to subdue their targets and bring them in. For those of good alignment, this practice satisfies some deeply held belief in the cause of justice. For neutral and evil bloodhounds, it ensures a steady stream of income from catching the same targets
    over and over when they break out of jail.

Advantages:
    • Mark – A bloodhound can target, or mark, an individual humanoid or monstrous humanoid foe to better hunt that enemy. To do so, the bloodhound must focus on a foe who is present and visible. A bloodhound gains +1 to hit and damage every 5 levels (max +7) against marked targets.
    • Ready and Waiting - a bloodhound is ready for trickery at all times and gains a bonus point to AC starting at level 1 and another every 6 levels. Additionally, a bloodhound gains immunity to blackstabs at level 16.
    • Tenacious Pursuit – at level 8, a bloodhound tracking a mark gains a short burst of speed, doubling their movement rate for 10 seconds.
    • Crippling Strike – at level 5, a bloodhound can deliver strikes against his mark with such precision that each successful attack also deals 2 points of Strength damage to the mark. A bloodhound can deliver a crippling strike with a melee attack, or with a ranged attack. 1 use/day for every 6 levels.
    • Freedom of movement – at level 9, a bloodhound becomes immune to movement impairing abilities as per the free action spell.
    • Can be of any alignment.

Disadvantages:
    • Cannot choose a racial enemy (a bloodhound essentially chooses one as he/she feels when hunting a mark).
    • Cannot cast divine spells.
    • Cannot wear heavier than studded leather (maybe chain?)

Now obviously I have no idea if this is balanced perfectly (I think it's pretty good in my head, but it might seem OP to someone else) and I'm not claiming that this should be a thing. I just think it would be a really cool blueprint to base a new ranger kit off. I've been toying with the idea of creating my own kit-mod and I think the spells/abilities would be fairly easy to create...

Anyway, just my two cents on the subject (again!) :)
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    Before I have read all the posts: Some are trying to make them a ready made Fighter Thief. I would not like that kind of Ranger.
    Take the Stalker kit and add some different spells. Poison weapon is OP. How about berserker rage instead?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    edited October 2014
    fanscale said:

Before I have read all the posts: Some are trying to make them a ready made Fighter Thief. I would not like that kind of Ranger.
    Take the Stalker kit and add some different spells. Poison weapon is OP. How about berserker rage instead?

Stalkers ARE fighter thieves. Imho, traps are very appropriate for a hunter type ranger, moreso than thief even. Not disarm though. Poison weapon is good, but a low cap on uses per day or it being less damaging than an Assassin isn't ridiculous, but I like a new poison instead, save to avoid stun, slow on successful save as an example, maybe a 1 round onsett. Hunters use nerve toxins in many areas to aide in hunting. Depending on the origins of the ranger, Malar is the most obvious patron for evil Rangers, and he is a Deity of Fury, aka rage makes sense. I'm biased, but I like my Blackblood Hunter idea, both the theme/lore of a bloodthirsty hunter, and the ability set. Losing the better weapons and slowing down TWF will force you to rework your combat strstegies. Here is a rework of that idea:

Pardic Ranger (Blackblood Hunter) V 1.1

Rangers associated with Malar, the blackblooded pard are some of the fiercest hunters in the Realms. Like many Malarites, their tradition of providing meat for communities helps garner more acceptance than similarly aligned organizations. As such, these Rangers are more likely to visit civilization. Master huntsmen and trackers, Blackbloods favour subtle hunting tactics inspired by nature over disciplined military strategy. They abhore engaging in a pitched battle when other options exist.

Disadvantages
    -restricted weapon use (Cannot gain specialization in weapons other than clubs, quarterstaffs, spears, short swords, daggers, slings, and darts. No bonus to Two Weapon Fighting. Blackbloods start with only 2 proficiencies)
    -cannot wear armour heavier than leather, cannot use shields
    -cannot cast spells or charm animal
    -uses a d8 for hit points
    Must have an evil alignment

Advantages
    -attacks made from stealth are always critical hits
    -+1 to hit and damage
    -gains Snares, throwable items that on a hit can Entangle and poison opponents. Creates 1 Snare per 5 levels. Improves with level.
    -at 3rd level, gains a Frenzy ability, which lasts for 1 turn. During Frenzy, the Blackblood gains +2 Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution, as well as immunity to charm, domination, paralysis, poison and level drain. Gains 1 additional use per 5 class levels
    -gains a paralyzing poison useable 1/day at 5th level, and a 2nd use at 15th level.

I think this would play pretty differently than other warriors. You'd have some tricks to use, but if you don't use them you'd get steamrolled by other warriors. You'd be pretty good with a weapon you specialize in at 1st, but your damage and versatility lag, and your ranged options are pretty limited. I like that this would be a better fighter than a thief of the same lvl generally, but a warrior would readily outperform you in direct combat. The 3rd ed prestige class Black Blood Hunter is pretty different, bejng a lycanthrope prestige class. That wouldn't translate very well to 2nd ed imho, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Adjusted some abilities
    Post edited by DreadKhan on
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    Sounds good, but the abilities still seem like "borrowed" abilities from other classes. What about instead of having a x2 backstab, attacks made from stealth are an automatic critical hit? Could be applied to ranged attacks as well. And the traps could be more along the lines of disabling/immobilising targets instead of dealing damages like thief traps (i.e. Slows, stuns, reduces strength, reduces AC, etc.).

Don't get me wrong, I love your idea for the kit (as well as all the other ideas on this thread), I just like more unique skills and abilities as opposed to taking preexisting ones from other classes.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    That'd be fine, and different. I also agree the traps could have different effects. Its always a plus to keep it simple, but I agree simply rehashing abilities is tiresome, though I still say this would play very curiously. There is an emphasis in this kit to try to use its abilities to control the battlefield, and disable enemies, vs the more direct aproach of other warriors.

What about instead of traps they make an throwing weapon called a Snare, which entangles, later webs, then maybe stuns, offering a save, and a weak poison with a 2nd save. I suppose the item would be a dart.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    A quick edit to the ALIGNMNT.2DA allows you to have evil rangers that don't become fallen..