Skip to content

Icewind Dale EE Wizard Specializations; Which is best?

So, looking at the manual for the game, it looks like most wizard schools now have 2 prohibited schools rather than just one. Is it worth forgoing some of those spells for an extra spell slot per level, and if yes, then which school is least painful in spells it gives up?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Basing my view on the number and badassarity of new Necromancy spells, I now want to make a necromancer.

Soul Eater, Darts of Bone, Lich Touch!
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    edited October 2014
    Yes, personally I think it's worth it, about preferable school - I think it should be Divination, you loose some summon spells, but if your party has a druid\cleric it would'nt be such a loss.

P.S well, sorry for little off-topic but, wizard spells ARE good but take a look at THIS cleric spell

• KatermeisterKatermeister Member Posts: 28
    edited October 2014
    I think on normal difficulty and below, having access to evocation spells is good since they deal a lot of damage at lower-mid levels. However on harder difficulties summoning spells(Conjuration/Necromancy) are better since they scale of the difficulty level. (as i recall, atleast they did in IWD 2)

On the other hand, it's perfectly viable to use alot of crowd control spells (Enchantment/Necromancy) and let other party members deal the damage.

I have to agree with @bengoshi‌ though, the Necromancer looks like alot of fun

Edit: Maybe use Dalekeeper to make a Necromancer/Cleric, that would be awesome
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    edited October 2014
    Wild Mage.

But if you're asking which is the best other than the Wild Mage, Diviner

You lose a big portion of the summoning stuff, Limited Wish (and Wish), Melf's Acid Arrow, a few Negative Status Spells, and Prismatic Spray

Summons aren't really that big of a loss with a decent group plus you still retain Animate Dead for tanking (espepcially since they're immune to Horrid Wilting). Negative Status Spells, as long as you don't lose Web you're pretty much set. Prismatic Spray is a little too random and still doesn't compare to Horrid Wilting as a damage spell. Limited Wish is cute for spellbook replenish cheese, but other than that not so much, Wish is too random to be reliable. Melf's Acid Arrow is nice for handling casters, but given what other schools give up, this is a decent sacrifice.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Sorcerer! ;)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yea I like Glitterdust too much to pick the diviner. Hard choice to be had that is for sure :)