Skip to content

Looking for some party weapon advice

I missed out on the original IWD and IWD2, so with the release of IWD:EE I'm looking forward to having a chance to try it out for the first time, and I'll be doing a multiplayer run with my girlfriend, however while we have our party more or less thought out, I'm not sure what we should be doing weapon wise.

1st) Merrick, Human Undead Hunter or Cavalier haven't quite decided on which. He's going to be going Longsword and Shield for Pale Justice but are there other weapons I should be on the lookout for?

2nd) Cyrus, Half-Elf Bard, I'm not sure what weapons he should be using, He'll most likely be a vanilla bard for the songs however.

3rd) Ander, Halfling Fighter/Thief, Most likely a dual wielder, I've got no clue what kind of weapons he should have.

4th) Sera, Half-Elf Avenger, I'm guessing Scimitars are her best bet?

5th) Sylvia, Half-Elf Cleric of Tyr, unsure what form of beat stick would be most beneficial for her.

6th) Our elven dragon Disciple, I don't know that weapons will be a big issue for her, but there may be something I'm not aware of.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated,

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    You can plan your weapons when looking at http://www.gamebanshee.com/icewinddale/weapons.php - it helps to understand what particular weapons are there in each proficiency type.

But take into account IWDEE will have 60 new items and some of them will be class specific to the new classes/kits being introduced and help accommodate the BG2EE weapon proficiency system. We don't know what these items are so there's a chance the new items can change any proficiency selection we choose for our party members based on our knowledge of vanilla weapons.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    1. Plan for dual wielding later on. Really strong! Plenty of long swords in the game
    2. Ranged, I would go for bow as there is a 3 APR bow in the game
    3. Lots of nice short swords, but also long swords in abundance
    4. I would go with slings and staff if you're going pure class druid. If you dual fighter/druid then scimitars is a good option
    5. Lot's of good flails/morning stars for priests
    6. Daggers for the mage daggers (additional spells)
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    Miahkai - this is an interesting thread idea. If you don't mind me posing a question, I'd like to!

I'll be running a Dwarf Male Barbarian in my party, plan is to dual wield him. He should be the primary damage dealer in my party. What do you all recommend for him weapon-wise?
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    Sed said:

1. Plan for dual wielding later on. Really strong! Plenty of long swords in the game
    2. Ranged, I would go for bow as there is a 3 APR bow in the game
    3. Lots of nice short swords, but also long swords in abundance
    4. I would go with slings and staff if you're going pure class druid. If you dual fighter/druid then scimitars is a good option
    5. Lot's of good flails/morning stars for priests
    6. Daggers for the mage daggers (additional spells)

Which type of bow?
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @YupImMadBro‌
    A longbow :)
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    There's a bard offhand that gives extra spells early on if that's important to you. It can be worth using one handed weapons to accommodate that.

I'm a fan of maces for at least one party member so they can use Three White Doves later on.
  • MiahkaiMiahkai Member Posts: 32
    bengoshi said:

But take into account IWDEE will have 60 new items and some of them will be class specific to the new classes/kits being introduced and help accommodate the BG2EE weapon proficiency system. We don't know what these items are so there's a chance the new items can change any proficiency selection we choose for our party members based on our knowledge of vanilla weapons.

Well hopefully there will be a thread like with BG:EE and BG2:EE that details some of the new items. Either way, thanks everyone for the advice.
  • VakarianVakarian Member Posts: 94
    If you're thinking of running a cavalier, one thing to be aware of is that they can't use throwing weapons in IWD:EE like they could in the BG:EEs. Probably not a big concern, but it could influence your choice in weapons.