Skip to content

Should BG:EE Include an Enhanced PDF Manual?

bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
BG2 had a very nice manual, though it contained some errors. With all of the fixes going into the engine is there a chance that Beamdog publishes an Enhanced PDF Manual with updated/fixed rules? I sold my BG2 CE many years ago so I no longer have my manual, which happens to be vital to character creation.
  1. Should BG:EE Include an Enhanced PDF Manual?132 votes
    1. Yes
      94.70%
    2. No
        5.30%
TheGreatKhan

Comments

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Absolutely, especially if new players want to be introduced to the series. Of course, nowadays' gamers never really read manuals, neither do they read the terms of agreement and such

(so developers might as well write "You are accepting to sell your soul to the denizens of Overhaul HQ themselves and become their Boo for life" without anyone noticing)

It would be a nice touch though, especially if someone is witty and actually reads the thing. So yes, definitely :)
    pablo200783
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    It should have a big manual like what came with BG2.
    sknAndreaColombo
  • JariahxSynnJariahxSynn Member Posts: 67
    I always read the manuel when i buy a new game, so i'd want a that included.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    An improved manual should definitely be included.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    It would be nice to have of course, but it would be a lot of effort for something few people read. Given the time/budget constraints, I'd rather see all resources devoted to new features rather than documentation.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    It should definitely come with a new manual that not only takes all of the enhancements into account, but sheds further light on game mechanics. It should also explain how BG differs from P&P, for old AD&Ders who take P&P rules for granted not knowing the liberties that BioWare had taken when developing BG.

A paper manual for the boxed edition, should it ever get done, would be a welcome bonus (but its absence would not constitute a deal breaker for me).
    GrandeC
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Trent recently tweeted that they are including a three part manual for BG:EE ;)
    Son_of_ImoenRobachickenSilverstarSenash
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    Three-part?

*Imagines a manual of LOTR trilogy proportions*
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    Wiki is good but I prefer to have an off-line reference as well. So, devs should make a manual and players should make a wiki.
    Silverstar
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    Another enhancement to consider would be hyperlinks for the many charts and tables. Quick navigation of the PDF would make character creation and rule checking much faster.

Another thread on the forum suggests allowing access to the manual from within the game. What do you all think about that? Would it be too immersion breaking, or just incredibly convenient?
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    I'm not completely against an in-game manual, though most things can be explained by tooltips.
    An off-line pdf manual is something you can read while not playing. The original manual was well written and I remember reading it carefully. Not to mention you get all sorts of ideas you can later test in-game, stuff you wouldn't search for in an in-game reference-style manual.
    Moira
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    Yes it would be nice, especially if things are implemented that was vague from the original version - like the manual mentioned initiative, and luck. I know luck worked behind the scenes, but the little details add up to some major decisions - like class & kit selection, and party choice.

Well it's important for me anyway. :)
  • KouTheMadKouTheMad Member Posts: 77
    i never played either game before...........so i think a manual is a necessity.
    Fake_Sketch
  • WonKoWonKo Member Posts: 72
    I imagine it will have some form of manual. a fusion of BG1 and the BG2 would probably suffice as the mechanics are mostly the same.

Of course I would dearly love to get my hands on a new paper ring bound manual. I love me old BG2 manual (Though its falling apart). Especially all the little comments from Volo and Elminster.
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    I do hope the manual would be printable, that way you could have a hard copy sitting on your desk while playing the game.
  • ego1steego1ste Member Posts: 88
    Manual for new players will be nice. But also a list of changes for BG veterans so we would know what to expect like changes in spells , class kits or other important stuff that affects gameplay.
    Jalily
  • ego1steego1ste Member Posts: 88
    One more thing i was curious if there will be any change to candlekeep tutorial.
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    It was mentioned on the Reddit that there would be a new tutorial, something more similar to the one in BG2.
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    A pdf tutorial would be great, however they'd have to update the file quite a bit everytime they change or update the game.
  • scypher1scypher1 Member Posts: 36
    yeah,but Im kinda ignorant about the material content changes that the enhanced bg will offer
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited September 2012
    It should have some sort of guide, or a link to a website in the game menu somewhere; either way I won't read it, especially if it is just a pdf file somewhere in the game folder.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I have the original manuals, too - we'll see how much ends up changing. My guess is that it will be 99% familiar to me.

While I'd love a good hardcover manual, I'm certain that the cost effectiveness of such things is limiting.