Skip to content

Duel Class

If I remember my rules (its been a long time) it was always better to Duel class from a fighter to whatever class you actually wanted to play.

I got around this using a Dwarven Fighter/Cleric and a Elven Fighter/Thief and using the multiclass of the non-humans.

Now I also want a Fighter Duel-Classed to Paladin so is this possible?
I would prefer to use the kits also if possible rather than a generic Paladin
Finally what level should I duel into Paladin.

I have a Human fighter with high Charisma and Wisdom who is Lawful Good so I think I cover all the Paladin requirements.

Advice is appreciated.

Comments

• styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Dual class can only be done by dual classing into something that would be an available multiclass. Since there is no Fighter/Paladin dual class you will never be able to dual into one. Same as never being able to dual into a sorcerer or monk. So no, thats not possible. Will have to just go straight Paladin or Fighter.
  • ParadoxParadox Member Posts: 31
    edited October 2014
    That is a shame, Paladins make really crappy fighters for the first half of the game.
    I will have to rethink my team.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Paradox said:

That is a shame, Paladins make really crappy fighters for the first half of the game.

? There are no differences between a Fighter and a Paladin until lvl3 and even then nothing substantial until lvl9. With Paladins getting their second power spells at level10 pretty much equalling it up again.

By level14 Fighters have pulled a full level ahead, but level13 is the last level that impacts melee ability, and Paladins get their third power spells at lvl12.

Now race could be a factor, but that would be a knock against Humans rather than the Paladin class itself...
  • RamzaRamza Member Posts: 112
    Uhh, fighters can get grand mastery, which gives a bonus to hit and damage and an extra full APR in IWDEE, compared to paladins on getting specialization.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Which, as stated, does not come into play until lvl9...

I am not saying that there are no differences; I am saying that I do not think Paladins are "really crappy fighters".
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    The Pala vs. Fighter discussion should become interesting in IWD. In BG2 there was Carsomyr, which is a hugely powerful weapon - no such thing in IWD. On the other hand, combat is tougher in IWD and buffs more important, so having divine spells available through a Paladin can be quite significant. Also harder to dual in IWD, so it's not that easy to go Fighter->Cleric either.

Need to test things, but I have a feeling Paladins could be quite good in IWD.
    jackjackJairnRAM021
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Why does everyone call it DuEl when it's dual... my jimmies man, think of me jimmies!

Also harder to dual in IWD, so it's not that easy to go Fighter->Cleric either.

Untrue. Just after the first big boss of the game is a dungeon that's much easier. A fighter/thief would be at about 8/9, just the right time to dual over for a dungeon far easier than the last one.
    How is it not harder than in BG2, though? I don't mean that it's HARD in IWD - just that it's hardER than it is in BG2, where you basically start at lvl 8 right off the bat.
    jackjackRAM021
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Calling it 'harder' is subjective. Longer, yes... but...

If we include BG1 in the equation (where the first 89-161K exp comes from?) It's downright way, WAY faster in IWD to reach lvl 9 as a fighter and dual class safely out of harm's way, and I'm not likely going to die to the first wolf I meet either.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited November 2014

The Pala vs. Fighter discussion should become interesting in IWD. In BG2 there was Carsomyr, which is a hugely powerful weapon - no such thing in IWD.

Pale Justice.

But you need to be a Paladin to even find it.

• CheryChocieCheryChocie Member Posts: 47
    Well I'm running a 4 man party with a Blackguard as my only true fighter class and she is performing admirably. I am curious whether or not she'll end up being able to use Pale Justice, it'll be somewhat ironic if she could.

Archaos
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421

Well I'm running a 4 man party with a Blackguard as my only true fighter class and she is performing admirably. I am curious whether or not she'll end up being able to use Pale Justice, it'll be somewhat ironic if she could.

I would imagine that they cannot but it might be a slip in the code, who knows.
    I think Blackguards couldn't use Carsormyr in BG2, also.
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228

No,she couldn't, I tested that yesterday.
    jackjackRAM021
  • CheryChocieCheryChocie Member Posts: 47
    Archaos said:

I would imagine that they cannot but it might be a slip in the code, who knows.
    I think Blackguards couldn't use Carsormyr in BG2, also.
    I quickly added it with the editor (then promptly deleted it I'll add) and you're right, Blackguards can't use it. It's been changed from only useable by Paladin to not useable by any other class as well as Lawful, Neutral and Chaotic Evil. I wonder whether there's been a substitute added like they did for Carsomyr in Watcher's Keep.
    Archaos said:

Pale Justice.

But you need to be a Paladin to even find it.

Pale Justice isn't even close to as powerful as Carsomyr. Don't get me wrong it's a great weapon, but it's not ridiculous by any means the way way Carsomyr is. It "just" deals a fair amount of damage and has some barely relevant immunities. It's not even the most damaging long sword, and only very slightly above some of the other 1h weapons available to everyone. Certainly not a compelling enough reason to be a Paladin.

If anything, I'd take a Pala for the divine spells. 4 levels is probably enough party buffs that you can forego a full Cleric, and it's on a single class meaning you're more XP-efficient. I'm still looking into how well dual-classing integrates into HoF, that mode really makes me want to have all the tools from the start and not wait too long... and "abusing" it to level quickly (by say, continously resting for easy random spawns) seems a bit cheesy to me.