Skip to content

Release Trailers: Which do you think was better?

WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
Beamdog has released three trailers for their three enhanced infinity engine games: Baldur's Gate:EE, Baldur's Gate 2:EE, and Icewind Dale:EE. Each one advertising their game and how they stand out from the originals we grew up with. I chose the trailers that were the first to be uploaded for their respective game as this was the first actual footage of the game and what would most likely make a first impression to potential buyers.

I ask this not as what is your favorite game, but what trailer do you think was better overall. Some things to think about are: what did the trailer show you that sold you on buying it, what was the new feature that stunned you, and which trailer had that little easter egg that you found that revealed some information about the game?

The three release trailers to view are:
Baldur's Gate:EE

Baldur's Gate II:EE

Icewind Dale:EE
  1. Release Trailers: Which do you think was better?26 votes
    1. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
      30.77%
    2. Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition
      53.85%
    3. Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
      15.38%
JuliusBorisovRavenslight[Deleted User]CrevsDaak

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    BG2EE because the evil monologue is great.
    RavenslightTethorilofLathanderCrevsDaak
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I get all warm and fuzzy inside when hearing IWD music.
    RavenslightTethorilofLathandertadancer
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    When we vote in this poll we have to evaluate the trailers themselves and not the games, I think.

We can love IWD for music and areas, we can love BG2 for plot lines and epic spells, we can love BG1 for the unmatched feeling of freedom, exploration and adventure, for the joy of surviving the very first levels. Thus, each one of us can base the vote on the certain preference of this or that game.

But the question in the OP is about trailers to these games. And this is when it's becoming difficult to me.

The IWDEE trailer shows the last stage of Beamdog's enhancement level: we see colourful spell effects, a fine UI, abilities and classes imported from BG. Plus we see the landscapes and hear the inspiring music. I think this trailer shows the utmost stage of enhancing work. Icy and Windy.

The BG2EE trailer is an interesting one, it gives insights into what the new quests are about, how EE NPCs look like in the new game, it shows the new thief NPC. I remember the level of attention and excitement Clara's appearance had on all us: we began guessing her story, her race, her skills, her background. I think this trailer was the most talked about here. Hexxatly.

The BGEE trailer is the first one. It began relationship between many of us and Beamdog. It began all the excitement of "OMG the game of my childhood is being reworked". It gave many if us (if not everybody) a hope, wishes and plans. When we watched that trailer we didn't know anything about what we could expect from the future. This trailer started it all for me. This is why I choose the first one. The beginning.
    Ravenslighttadancer
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    As I was on my knees, begging to be told who to give my money to the moment I heard someone called Beamdog was doing a remake of the game, it is tough for me to be objective.

Having said that, when trying to put myself in the place of someone who had never played the games, I think the opening for the BGII one using Irenicus’s voice, was perfect. Even if I had never heard of the games, that one would have piqued my interest. It still sends a shiver up my spine as I replay it now.

The one for Icewind Dale has a much more “action packed” feel to it, so I can see it appealing to those who prefer that sort of thing.
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    elminsterMoradin
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    David Warner steals that trailer.
    meaglothCrevsDaak
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Dat music.
    WigglesCrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    The IWD:EE trailer was also good, but the original IWD trailer (IMO) was by far much better.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Original bioware IWD trailer was more dramatic!