Skip to content

Which kind of Paladin is best?

Tad_Has_A_Cold_OliveTad_Has_A_Cold_Olive Member Posts: 183
So, I've been looking over the thread, and there doesn't seem to be a consensus about which Paladin kit is best in Icewind Dale. At least, not like the "Inquisitor or bust" opinion in the Baldur's Gate II subforum. So, just out of curiosity, which Paladin kit would you say is best to take into the Spine of the World?
  1. Which kind of Paladin is best?204 votes
    1. Paladin - More than enough smiting potential!
        3.43%
    2. Blackguard - Fear me!
      13.24%
    3. Cavalier - Who needs a bow when you can stab demons in the face?
      41.67%
    4. Inquisitor - Dark magic is bad no matter where you find it!
        8.82%
    5. Undead Hunter - There are way too many skeletons around here!
      32.84%

Comments

• hexxactlyhexxactly Member Posts: 40
    Once you get Pale Justice all Pallys become a stock Undead Hunter. Rather stock Pally than Inquisitor in IWD.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Something to keep in mind is that all Paladins get Immunity to Fear with Divine Grace @ Level3 and that spell casting increases up to 6th power spells.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    any kit would be usefull in this game, but when it comes to advantages over disadvantages, the cavalier has it best
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    Undead Hunter for obvious reasons, their bonus will see the most use.

But really anything except the Inquisitor. Even an unkitted Paladin is better than the Inquisitor in this game.
  • billygreatbillygreat Member Posts: 66
    Since they removed the possibility for throwing , the cavalier is dead to me, so I will go with Undead Hunter.
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    Immunity to Hold is better than all of the other immunities.
  • CedeosCedeos Member Posts: 47
    edited November 2014

Immunity to Hold is better than all of the other immunities.

Hm, useless with the Ring of Free Action and you can get two of them very, very early ....
    In fact Immunity to Hold and Level drain for me are the most useless immunities as near the end of the game every party member will have Free Action this or the other way and I never experienced a single Level Drain.
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    a level 99 one.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Why are inquiz bad in IWD out of curiousity?
  • Wandering_MinstrelWandering_Minstrel Member Posts: 197
    An unkitted paladin is good enough for me in IWD.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Undead hunter. If you give your undead hunter ++ in a blunt weapon most of the Vale of Shadows becomes effortless. They will also be handy on Burial Isle.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    In iwd undead hunter for days.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    I'm gonna go with Undead Hunter, not just because of a hatred for all undead and level drain, but also because of the delicious nullification of Hold. Also because Undead Hunters never get any love.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251

I feel like Undead Hunter is a noob trap.

Once you enable HoF mode.. you'll realize that Cavaliers are the noob traps, heh. The debate has been made in this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36412/help-me-powergaming-party/p2
  • ArdentArdent Member Posts: 22
    Immunity against fear and level/abilty drain, poison attacks, debuff aura and an extremely powerful self heal/attack which ignores SR, if I remember correctly. The blackguard wins by sheer combat power.

From 2nd to 3rd edition the bad guys got all the good stuff in D&D. ;)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014

I feel like Undead Hunter is a noob trap. Off the top of my head, there's 3 places it's going to be useful:

Vale of Shadows
    Dorn's Deep (Lich Area)
    Burial Isle

Anything that is "shadowed" is also undead. So you can add Severed Hand to that list (since there are tons of them in it).
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    edited November 2014
    What? Blackguards should win this!
    Not that I'd ever take a Paladin anyway.
  • macomeaumacomeau Member Posts: 80
    It's been mentioned in another thread that the Undead Hunter's Negative Plane Protection (well, NPP in general) does more than just protect against level drain now.

For me, it's a tossup between Undead Hunter and Cavalier. Literally. They both have serious advantages in this game, depending on what you want out of them, and I can't pick one. I'm playing with an Undead Hunter right now because I've pretty much only ever used Cavaliers --when I play Paladins-- since they became available in BG.

Inquisitor is kinda useless. I don't play evil characters, so I can't really talk about how a Blackguard works in practice. It reads about like an Undead Hunter, I guess. I dunno how their Poison Weapon skill works on hordes of undead and whatnot. Un-kitted Paladin is basically forfeiting the best parts of highly useful kits to keep semi-useful secondary aspects of the Paladin.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Given the fact that,
    1. All paladins now get immunity to fear, and,
    2. Cavaliers can no longer use thrown melee weapons,

I feel that cavaliers have become a bit nerfed and redundant.

By contrast, vanilla paladins are raised in my estimation, as they are the most versatile form of paladin and benefit the most from IWD rules IMO.
  • CheryChocieCheryChocie Member Posts: 47
    Kenji said:

I feel like Undead Hunter is a noob trap.

Once you enable HoF mode.. you'll realize that Cavaliers are the noob traps, heh. The debate has been made in this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36412/help-me-powergaming-party/p2
    I'm not seeing what puts the Undead Hunter so far over the top and makes Cavaliers a noob trap. The only negative thing being said about Cavaliers was by yourself and you only mentioned one area in the game in which they don't fare particularly well which was the Burial Isle. I've completed the game on HoF before but I'm currently playing on Insane and my Cavalier did fine, Pale Justice + Improved Haste + Fire resistance + Armour of the Faith + Healing spells means I can gather all the mobs up and have my Mage sat there casting Sunfire over and over, stuff died kinda fast.

Yes I know you're probably going to come up with something about how on HoF that won't work, sure maybe I'll struggle, but I personally feel that there's plenty of ways to deal with the Burial Isle at least which don't involve your tank just sat there taking a beating and I still prefer the extra damage on the bosses from the Cavalier.

If that thread told me anything, I think I'd prefer a Dwarven Defender over either of the Paladins but there we are.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Undead Hunter. You fight more undead than anything else especially near the beginning of the game.
    macomeau said:

I don't play evil characters

You're missing out all the fun!
    edited November 2014

I'm not seeing what puts the Undead Hunter so far over the top and makes Cavaliers a noob trap. The only negative thing being said about Cavaliers was by yourself and you only mentioned one area in the game in which they don't fare particularly well which was the Burial Isle. I've completed the game on HoF before but I'm currently playing on Insane and my Cavalier did fine, Pale Justice + Improved Haste + Fire resistance + Armour of the Faith + Healing spells means I can gather all the mobs up and have my Mage sat there casting Sunfire over and over, stuff died kinda fast.

Yes I know you're probably going to come up with something about how on HoF that won't work, sure maybe I'll struggle, but I personally feel that there's plenty of ways to deal with the Burial Isle at least which don't involve your tank just sat there taking a beating and I still prefer the extra damage on the bosses from the Cavalier.

If that thread told me anything, I think I'd prefer a Dwarven Defender over either of the Paladins but there we are.

It wasn't just me who didn't agree that Cavaliers are the best kit for paladin, there are others who share the same sentiment towards Cavaliers, though at a different point of view. Some fervently defended the kit, and, don't get me wrong, I agree with most of them only when it's not in HoF mode. When you have that HoF switch on, however, things change. Burial Isle is only but one of the worst instance I can think of for Cavaliers in HoF mode, not to mention !!Every Single Other Skirmishes!! there are in HoF mode where your cavalier is bound to an eternity of melee.

Now, in the thread we did come to a conclusion that having Fighter Dual Clerics is better off than having paladins overall. But if people are hellbent on taking paladins (which is fine, tbh, people don't need to powergame to the max in HoF mode), Cavaliers can definitely still function in HoF mode with other classes supplementing their flanks with summoned minions. It's just that being forced to melee at all times in HoF mode is painful.

So far, in every single fight if I don't have any summoned minions tanking, my melee fighter gets his health reduced to nothing in almost less than a round. Even when there are few stragglers left to deal with, I'd rather kite than sending melees to finish them off when I run out of animate dead.

The point is that being unable to use ranged weapons is quite a disadvantage in HoF mode, Undead or not. Hence, it's not the kit advantages that made Undead Hunters better than Cavalier, but it's the Cavalier's own disadvantage that puts the kit behind all the other kits! Again, it's fine to take a Cavalier through HoF run, some have done it (and expressed their regret for it), I wouldn't do it, but I bet it's still doable.

To ease off the mood, here's a meme I quite liked that described IWD so well:
    elminster said:

Post edited by Kenji on