Skip to content

Random Number Generator my ASS

Last night I created my first team and I was easily rolling mid to high 90's for all 6 of them, it was so easy I rolled each character a couple of times to make sure I liked it.

Fast forward to tonight where after reading a few things today I decided to roll a new team. Imagine my shock when I can barely roll out of the 70's. I have been at this for 4 hours now and I still do not have a full team.

Random my ass.

Comments

• ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    edited November 2014
    According to quantum mechanics you can effect reality with your own will, this process is called the collapse of the wave function. Information turned into reality downloaded from the Field. Maybe you should think harder no?

more seriously unless you want a 90 roll minimum I don't believe you when you say that you have been trying for 4 hours. 85 is really easy to get. Note that ranger are most likely to roll high stats because they have higher requirements.
  • ParadoxParadox Member Posts: 31

According to quantum mechanics you can effect reality with your own will, this process is called the collapse of the wave function. Information turned into reality downloaded from the Field. Maybe you should think harder no?

more seriously unless you want a 90 roll minimum I don't believe you when you say that you have been trying for 4 hours. 85 is really easy to get.

Actually I am looking for a 93 minimum for each character, and I have had to settle for 91 twice now or go insane with the clicking. I still have two characters to make.

I just find it hard to believe that it is random when the lowest roll I took last night was 95 and I made 6 characters within an hour.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    edited November 2014
    Paradox said:

more seriously unless you want a 90 roll minimum I don't believe you when you say that you have been trying for 4 hours. 85 is really easy to get.

Actually I am looking for a 93 minimum for each character, and I have had to settle for 91 twice now or go insane with the clicking. I still have two characters to make.

I just find it hard to believe that it is random when the lowest roll I took last night was 95 and I made 6 characters within an hour.
    Your lowest roll making 6 characters was 95? Are you serious? but anyway if you want a 93 roll mini, I believe you're gonna spend a lot of time on it.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Its not random. The rolls you get very much have to do with the class and race you are using.
  • ParadoxParadox Member Posts: 31
    elminster said:

Its not random. The rolls you get very much have to do with the class and race you are using.

Can you elaborate on that with some specifics please?
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

No, he shouldn't think at all. Earlier this evening I was trying to come up with a 94 for this Fighter character I was thinking of switching to Druid later on. I spent forever trying to get it until I finally gave up on it. Then when checking out a multi-class Fighter/Druid, just to see what kinds of proficiencies it would end up with, I rolled a 96 right away. I hadn't even wanted to create a character at that point, I was just having a look at one.

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Paradox said:

elminster said:

Can you elaborate on that with some specifics please?
    As was the case in the originals, you choose your class before you roll your stats. Rolls which do not meet the minimum requirements for the class are discarded silently. This can result in high average rolls for classes with high requirements like Ranger or Paladin. Try rolling with a vanilla fighter to get a better sense for the distribution.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    edited November 2014
    elminster said:

Yup this. Its much much easier to get in the 90s with a class with high requirements, like a Paladin, over one that has almost none, like a rogue. Took forever for me to get good rolls with my Swashbuckler party leader, than my Cavalier whom only took a few seconds to top.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    Well first of all you can never roll less than a 75 total. So already its not random.

But in the case of classes and races I'll elaborate a bit.

Edit: Read Cerevants post about rolls that don't meet minimum requirements getting discarded. I'm not certain on the technical side of things how that part works.

Elf Rangers for instance will get very high rolls because they have high minimum scores.

For instance, a human ranger has the following minimum requirements (in order of strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom, and charisma).

13/13/14/3/14/3

An elf on the other hand has

13/13/14/8/14/8

That is because elves must have at least 8 intelligence and 8 charisma regardless of their class (in this case that would be on top of the minimum requirements for strength, dexterity, constitution, and wisdom that rangers have).

There are all sorts of combinations here but humans and half-orcs would probably be one of the more difficult races to roll the best stats with.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    A human fighter has very low minimum requirements - every stat must be at least 3, except for strength which needs to be at least 9. This means that it is possible to roll a human fighter which has 24 as their total stat.

A human paladin, on the other hand, has requirements of 12, 3, 9, 3, 13, 17, which adds up to 54. So, at minimum, human paladins will have twice as many stat points as human fighters.

A half elf fighter druid has requirements of 9, 6, 6, 4, 12, 15, which adds up to 52. Also, twice as much.

What does this mean? Statistically, higher rolls are more likely to occur with paladins and fighter/druids. I mean, theoretically, it is possible that you could get 108 on a human fighter. It is just far more likely to occur with a human paladin.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

For anyone going after a specific roll total, my advice would be to just use EEKeeper and edit your character manually to that total. It has the exact same effect as sitting there rolling for an hour - except, you know, without sitting there rolling for an hour :P

If you are rolling a fighter I guess you can roll for your /xx STR to get a random value to use, or you can just think of one yourself.

This. If it bothers you that much that you must have a minimum of 95 or whatnot then just EE Keeper it in instead of sitting there for four hours pressing the roll button and maybe accidentally missing that magic roll by clicking roll again too quickly.
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    RNG , using time stamps.

Today , you lose.
    Tomorrow , you king.
    After dat , you insane again.

Bother not rolling. Have a heart of fire , and a cup of moccha. The victory you will suffer will taste better f you beat the role play out of the game , wings of fury , atop the Everest.

You'll 'get to' get to say after that , you actually beat the game. You don't need'ed' luck

• The user and all related content has been deleted.