Skip to content

Full single classed party

I know multi and especially dual classing is THE way to go in IWD, but I want to try something different, and maybe more challenging, in doing a party of all single classed characters. Heres what I'm thinking.

Human Paladin (either Cavalier or Undead Hunter)
Dwarf Fighter Dwarven Defender
Elf Wild Mage or Sorcerer
Halfling Thief (Shadowdancer or Swashbuckler, havent decided yet)
Half Elf Bard
Half Orc Cleric of Tempus

What are your thoughts on that party, any tweaking that needs to be done, anything I glaringly left out?
BlackravenRAM021lolienKerthalJuliusBorisovKenjiMerina

Comments

• rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    Good party in my opinion, and very similar to one of mine, so I wholeheartedly approve ;-) Personally I don't enjoy dual or multi classing myself so I tend to stick with single classes. Myself, I'd go for the Undead Hunter for your paladin, sorcerer for the elf and shadowdancer for the halfling, but others may give you better advice on why other options are preferable.

I will be Captain Obvious and say that you left a druid out, but you can't have everything and your team appears to be to be very well balanced and proficient. Have fun with them!
    BlackravenRAM021JuliusBorisov
  • JigawattsJigawatts Member Posts: 11
    Oh trust me, if I could add an Avenger Druid and Archer Ranger to make a party of 8, I would in a heartbeat. I struggled with Druid vs Bard.
    RAM021lolienArdulrufus_hobart
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    Why not just get rid of the Dwarven Defender? You don't really need a tank in this game, especially if you have a Bard.
    RAM021Frogman
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    Yea I wouldnt go halfling shadowdancer. As characters go its kind of underwhelming. Nice for disrupting casters but enemies will often know where the rest of your party is (and will just proceed to move to attack them instead) if you try hiding in plain sight. Its different from BG2 in that sense.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    This is my current party:

Human Paladin (Undead Hunter)
    Elf Sorcerer
    Elf Thief (Swashbuckler)
    Half Elf Bard

Yes, I literally copy-pasted yours and edited it slightly. xD Small world, hehe.
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    I went with this party on Insane(first time playing IWD). Really powerful group that fits my type of roleplaying. I'm not really into dual/multi. You could switch the berserker for a barbarian, druid for a kit and DD for a sorcerer focused on CC

Human Cavalier
    Half Orc Berserker
    Dwarf Cleric of Tempus
    Human Druid
    Half Elf Bard
    Elf Red Dragon Disciple

• OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    I think it is a great idea to do a complete party of single class characters. Im planning something similar with an all shorty party like
    Dwarf Fighter Defender
    Dwarf Fighter Berserker
    Dwarf Cleric of Tempus
    Gnome Sorcerer Dragon Disciple
    Halfling Thief Swashbuckler
    Not sure about the last spot yet. Or
    Maybe I will do one male and one female from each shorty race.
    [Deleted User]Klorox
  • SigleafSigleaf Member Posts: 22
    IMO Druid > a second tank, no need for paladin when you have another priest that can shape shift on the go and provide tanking if necessary.

Avenger is my personal preference
    Frogman
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Is dual or multiclass the way to go? Not that I was aware?
    Anyways, looks like an awesome party :)
    Merina
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    Jigawatts said:

I went with this party on Insane(first time playing IWD). Really powerful group that fits my type of roleplaying. I'm not really into dual/multi. You could switch the berserker for a barbarian, druid for a kit and DD for a sorcerer focused on CC

Human Cavalier
    Half Orc Berserker
    Dwarf Cleric of Tempus
    Human Druid
    Half Elf Bard
    Elf Red Dragon Disciple

How is it going with no Thief?

For the moment it's going great. This is my first time playing iwd and I have no idea how much a thief is needed further on. Just finished the temple of the forgotten God so time will tell I guess
    lolien
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    Zanian said:

Elf Sorcerer
    Elf Thief (Swashbuckler)
    Half Elf Bard

Yes, I literally copy-pasted yours and edited it slightly. xD Small world, hehe.

I'd be inclinded to change the Swashbuckler to half-orc and the priest to something else. The priest can self-buff to a higher strength while the swashie cannot.
    RAM021jackjackGotural
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    luskan said:

Zanian said:

Elf Sorcerer
    Elf Thief (Swashbuckler)
    Half Elf Bard

I'd be inclinded to change the Swashbuckler to half-orc and the priest to something else. The priest can self-buff to a higher strength while the swashie cannot.
    Very good advice; however, one point to consider thought is that the Elf Weapon bonus is wasted on a Cleric unfortunately :( Not that they would need to be swapped mind you.
    luskanjackjackMerina
  • JigawattsJigawatts Member Posts: 11
    So which Druid kit do you guys think is the most viable, or should I just go vanilla?
    jackjacklolien
    We believe that Fighter/Druid is the best druid ;-)

Of the actual kits we are partial to Avengers, although we have also had good results with True & Totemic. Not huge fans of Shapeshifters...
    Frogman
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    @RAM021‌ just curious, but why do you always post as plural instead of singular? I always wonder just who "we" are. :)
    Wandering_Minstrellolien
    We are many
    jackjackrufus_hobartEnialusMeliamnelolien
  • SigleafSigleaf Member Posts: 22
    RAM021 said:

We are many

Anonymous confirmed playing IWD ;D
    jackjackEnialusMeliamnelolien
    Sigleaf said:

RAM021 said:

We are many

Anonymous confirmed playing IWD ;D
    Please, they pretend to be many...
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    Hey would the assassin be a decent single class to play for your thief?
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    All single classed is how I roll, too, usually. :)
    jackjackFrogmanWandering_Minstrel
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    my assassin works so well on so many levels. poison weapon definitely makes certain fights a lot easier
    jackjack
    simples said:

my assassin works so well on so many levels. poison weapon definitely makes certain fights a lot easier

Hey simples, what race and proficiences are you using? Did you go with sneak attack or backstab?
    sneak attack. i think many people would discourage this, but my assassin dual-wields a sword and a dagger and is a front line fighter. he's an elf and hardly ever dies.
    jackjackFrogman
    edited November 2014
    A melee-oriented assassin. Very cool. Have you found the high number of undead a problem at all? I assume they're immune to poison.
    i had tanks and fireballs to deal with the undead hordes ;)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @cbarchuk‌ Haven't tried in IWDEE, but in BG(2)EE they often weren't.
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    cbarchuk said:

A melee-oriented assassin. Very cool. Have you found the high number of undead a problem at all? I assume they're immune to poison.

I looked through Near Infinity and it looks like they all are (though there are so many undead creature files that its hard to say).
    RAM021jackjackJuliusBorisov