Skip to content

I don't like the loot bar

It's a bit of a cheat really. In the BG games, my lead character would actually walk to the item he/she was picking up, but in this game you can get loot from anywhere in the area without moving. By having to move to the item, there would be the chance that you exposed an enemy that was hidden by the fog of war, but that's no longer the case. So you can now gather up all this loot with impunity.

Comments

• BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

yup just click that red button and be rid of it if you dont like it.

Which is exactly what I'm doing. I feel there should be some sort of middle ground though. It is a convenient feature after all.

• ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    Quick loot only works within a limited radius.

Also it's incredibly rare that the loot you picked up would somehow help against the enemy you would run into if you had to pick it up manually. And it's not like this game isn't about killing bunches of enemies so most players will end up fighting that enemy, if not already killed them before looting stuff in the first place.
    booinyoureyesGodKaiserHellbob_veng

Also it's incredibly rare that the loot you picked up would somehow help against the enemy you would run into if you had to pick it up manually.

You've missed my point. As I mentioned, by having to move in order to pick up the loot you run the risk of exposing an enemy that was hidden by the fog of war. With the way the loot bar works now, there's absolutely no repercussions when gathering things up. Before you had to be fairly careful when picking stuff up, now you don't have to at all. You just stand in place and everything comes to you, even if it's on the other side of an area.

[Deleted User]
    You just stand in place and everything comes to you, even if it's on the other side of an area.
    Quick Loot doesn't let you get something from the other side of an area. The radius is limited.

So chances are whatever mobs would have seen you would already have seen you when you were fighting whatever it is that dropped the loot you're getting.

And if not, then most players would end up fighting them anyway. When the loot is picked up, before or after the battle with that next group of mobs is almost always irrelevant.
    GodKaiserHellbooinyoureyesCrevsDaak
  • GKL206GKL206 Member Posts: 75
    Belanos said:

You just stand in place and everything comes to you, even if it's on the other side of an area.

That's a bit of an over-statement: there is a radius involved. If I spilt my party in two after a large battle and select one character their quick loot bar will show the loot near them but if I select a character some way away they will have a different selection available in their quick loot area. Personalty I preferred the way quick loot was implemented in BG1, where money came to you but a character had to walk over and pick up a physical object which took up inventory space because it made it easier to spot missed items but other people though having characters walk around was a waste of time. You'll never please everyone.
    GodKaiserHellbooinyoureyesprocco

Quick Loot doesn't let you get something from the other side of an area. The radius is limited.
    Yes, it's limited to your visibility range. Which is still fairly sizable. When I was in the Orc cave trying it out for the first time. I was picking up loot that was quite a distance from my character. It didn't make any sense at all, and made that area too easy IMO. So I've stopped using it, but now I have to go through the inconvenience of hunting down loot and possibly moving characters out of the way in order to get at it. It's not much of a choice if it's only limited to black or white, either use it or don't.

snip

Whatever. It's my right to not like some feature and express my opinion about it. If I want to pick up the loot before continuing on, that's my business. You play the game your way, I'll play it mine.

[Deleted User]artificial_sunlight
    Macona said:

Hmm, there seems to be a big case of "I don't like this completely optional feature so you should remove it for everyone" going around on the forums.

Well thank you for putting words in my mouth, it makes it so much easier on me not having to express myself. Did I ever once say it should be removed? Go ahead, quote me on it. I only want to see an option to make it work like it did in the BG games, nothing more. Yet everyone is making such a big deal of me not liking the way it works now. Well pardon me for having an opinion, I'll make sure not to share it here from now on. It's not a very optional feature if it's just "either/or". It's like having to settle for vanilla or chocolate ice cream when what you really want is strawberry.

Spungi[Deleted User]
    edited November 2014
    It's like having to settle for vanilla or chocolate ice cream but complaining about the choices because you can't get vanilla with a insignificantly smaller spoon.

You have the right to complain about it, but don't act so surprised when people call you out on how pointless your complaint is.
    GodKaiserHellWiggles
    Terribly sorry bringing this up and expressing my opinion.

Bloody trolls are everywhere these days.
    artificial_sunlight
    Ah the troll defense, poor you people think you didn't bring up a real concern they must be trolls. It can't be that your complain doesn't really matter.
    GodKaiserHellWiggles
  • wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
    Hmm, so quick loot works differently in BG than in IWD then? I've been playing BG (on Android) and when you quick loot you can pick up coins without moving but anything else my char will move to the appropriate loot pile.
    jackjackrufus_hobartoldgamer518
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    wigglesg said:

Hmm, so quick loot works differently in BG than in IWD then? I've been playing BG (on Android) and when you quick loot you can pick up coins without moving but anything else my char will move to the appropriate loot pile.

Yes it has been improved now :)
    booinyoureyeslolien
    Cluas said:

That's a matter of opinion.

• CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    Belanos said:

Cluas said:

Oh yes, but isn't everything? According to my belief, it has been improved. It is much faster to loot, and it works better than in BGEE.

I know you don't like the function (just turn it off?), I was merely pointing out that is is working better, than in BG... :)
    Wigglesbooinyoureyeslolien
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    edited November 2014
    Belanos said:

Which is exactly what I'm doing. I feel there should be some sort of middle ground though. It is a convenient feature after all.

That IS the middle ground. It's a toggled option, no one will EVER force you to use a toggled option in a single-player game. "But this optional feature breaks: immersion, fun, or role-playing." Then don't use it like the previous replies (and the staggering amount of agrees) have stated. Where do you think this supposed middle ground is? A toggle-able option to turn off the toggle-able option? Toggleception!?!?
    GodKaiserHellenqenq
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    My wish is that the devs make it this way for BG/BG2. I always thought it was weird that you can pick up gold without moving but had to walk around to pick up other items (and usually not in order so I kept moving back and forth between multiple piles).
    GodKaiserHellBelgarathMTHbooinyoureyes
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited November 2014
    picking up things without walking to them doesn't produce a cheaty effect because enemies don't drop much healing potions if at all. the projectiles that they drop are also not tremendously good or plentiful in order to make a difference much outside of pure convenience in a battle.

if this addition had exploity effects it could be made so that insta-pick-up doesn't work when enemies are around.
  • CasadoomCasadoom Member Posts: 68
    I absolutely loved the improved the instant pick and was even hoping that the developers would add it in BG1 and BG2 too!

The only time point where this new feature is "gamebreaking" is in Gloomfrost Cavern 2 at the Remorhaz that has Kossuth's Blood. This can be seen in the following link:

http://www.gamebanshee.com/icewinddale/walkthrough/gloomfrostcaverns2.php

As the guide explains, you need to have Dimension Door or Translocation Arrow to be able to get the amulet but with this new awesome mechanic you can pretty much ignore this.

But yeah, please add this advanced quickloot in BG1/BG2 and, for the people that complain, perhaps you could add a toggle option in the configuration files?
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Belanos said:

Cluas said:

No it isn't.

It is called a "Quick Loot Button". Quick being the operative word.

The point was to save people's time. By not forcing people to waste minutes watching the doll move from one body to another to get a shortsword you are saving more time, and therefore improving the feature.
    GodKaiserHelljackjack