Skip to content

Cavalier or Undead Hunter?

I keep remaking my party and I always struggle between these two.

On the one hand, there's a bajillion undead in this game. However, I don't remember if they are that relevant come endgame or not.

On the other hand, Cavalier can lay on hands, and gets nice bonuses against tough creatures. But how often do those creatures show up, anyway?

Can someone help me pick?

Comments

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited November 2014
    imo undead aren't that tough in the game

cavalier advantages over undead hunter really shine in the game

big advantage - lay on hands
    also big - +3 bonus to hit and damage rolls against demons, devils, dragons, and wyverns (wyverns are nasty)
    moderate advantage - May cast Remove Fear once per day per level.
    huge - Immune to charm, fear, poison, and morale failure.
    fairly minor - 20% resistance to fire and acid.

disadvantages are
    negligible - no ranged weapons
    moderate - no +3/+3 bonus vs undead
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,158
    I think it's nearly a toss up. Cavalier is more broadly capable, but the Undead Hunter has specific bonuses that will be a big help through a major portion of the game. They both bring something interesting to the party. Try one of each!
    technically if you wanted to minmax for convenience (how easiest to beat the game, for example in a speedrun) you'd probably have both in the party.
  • The_ReverendThe_Reverend Member Posts: 17
    I'm seconding @bob_veng‌. Cavaliers are a standout class compared to UD Hunter in my opinion, and generally much more resilient than the other good-Aligned paladin kits. Something I've found that works great if you're looking for a boost against undead is running a Ranger with some form of undead as its racial enemy.

Since Skeletal Undead are resistant to piercing/slashing, I'd choose Cadaverous Undead as the enemy of choice if you're running a Stalker or Archer. If you're going for a Ranger/Cleric or using blunt weapons, I'd pick Skeletal Undead. I've been using a Stalker with Cadaverous Undead as its racial enemy during my runthrough, and it's my party's clear MVP whenever I hit an undead-heavy area.
  • CrusherEAGLECrusherEAGLE Member Posts: 19

I'm seconding @bob_veng‌. Cavaliers are a standout class compared to UD Hunter in my opinion, and generally much more resilient than the other good-Aligned paladin kits. Something I've found that works great if you're looking for a boost against undead is running a Ranger with some form of undead as its racial enemy.

Since Skeletal Undead are resistant to piercing/slashing, I'd choose Cadaverous Undead as the enemy of choice if you're running a Stalker or Archer. If you're going for a Ranger/Cleric or using blunt weapons, I'd pick Skeletal Undead. I've been using a Stalker with Cadaverous Undead as its racial enemy during my runthrough, and it's my party's clear MVP whenever I hit an undead-heavy area.

Archers are the shiznit. He seriously just completely destroys EVERYTHING with his bow. Twang, twang, twang, dead dead dead. I'm so glad I brought one along.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    It depends what else you have in the party. If you have a bard who can protect your party from fear, and more than one healer already, get an undead slayer, otherwise have a cavalier.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    The Cavalier is my favorite paladin kit.

I would point out that the game has a lot of stuff weak to fire.
    You will be throwing fire around.
    Cavaliers are resistant to fire.

The innate fire resistance has probably saved my Cavalier's life on Insane where damage is doubled and my Sun Soul Monk shoots gouts of fire at my enemies.
    Fardragon said:

It depends what else you have in the party. If you have a bard who can protect your party from fear, and more than one healer already, get an undead slayer, otherwise have a cavalier.

lay on hands is instant so it's better than cleric spells. i almost never use cleric healing in intense battle, i'll rather chug a potion.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    bob_veng said:

also big - +3 bonus to hit and damage rolls against demons, devils, dragons, and wyverns (wyverns are nasty)

Yea, there are TONS of those in this game, there's like... uh, FIVE!

By comparison, there are only about a few thousand undead, and only 3 or 4 dungeons that revolve around said beasts.

But hey, if today is opposite day, let's also pretend that the Holy Sword is better than +4 Weapons of Action.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    edited November 2014
    If you haven't seen it yet, this thread might add couple more opinions to ones already posted above.

Undead Hunter has bonus against monsters you will meet a lot, Cavalier gets bonus against most (if not all) bosses.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Dazzu said:

bob_veng said:

By comparison, there are only about a few thousand undead, and only 3 or 4 dungeons that revolve around said beasts.

But hey, if today is opposite day, let's also pretend that the Holy Sword is better than +4 Weapons of Action.
    those hundred thousand are usually trash mobs and not much is gained with specializing in them.

So you kill this particular undead in 1.5 hits instead of 2, big deal. The Cavs skills are useful all the time. Take a Ranger with favored enemy of whatever flavor undead and he'll exceed the Undead Hunter because he can also cast Druid spells at a high enough level.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Dazzu said:

It is (longsword v longsword anyway); however, dual wield lets you use both! Therefore there is no need to choose =)
    Dazzu said:

bob_veng said:

it's not true, you haven't played totl. and i never said there were tons of anything.

i've already said something about the undead and you chose to ignore it.

why's your tone so acerbic? our discussion on that other thread was quite normal.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I wouldn't worry about it as both will be very effective. Just go with whichever one appeals to you more thematically.
  • OHBornRockerOHBornRocker Member Posts: 9
    I have run BG I and II a number of times and basically default to the cavalier as my PC- but for a differing experience and one which seems more at home in the tundras, I'm using an Undead Hunter for IWD in the party... A class with "hunter" in the title just seems appropriate to the hostile environments of the Dale
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,076
    Here's the main difference as far as I can see:

Cavaliers are good against really tough enemies, but you don't see a lot of those enemies in the game. Undead Hunters are good against a lot of enemies, but those enemies generally weren't much of a threat in the first place.

There is also the consideration of their other advantages and disadvantages.