Skip to content

The number of enemies per room is nuts.

Seriously, it's like they decide to send army after army of enemies after you in fights, many of which require a different strategy. I mean, I like it, it's refreshing since this *IS* my first time playing IWD, but holy crap; I'm used to like, 8 enemies per fight max from the BG1-2 days (until ToB generally). There was some fights I really couldn't beat without basically cheesing kiting because of the sheer amount.

Comments

• SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    Try it on insane then :) It's as if their solution to your higher level, is just throw more shit at you:)
  • Wait until you get to fight the Spectral Guards

I already ragequited
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    This is when I like to use the Blood Rage and the Animal Rage spells!
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308

Seriously, it's like they decide to send army after army of enemies after you in fights, many of which require a different strategy. I mean, I like it, it's refreshing since this *IS* my first time playing IWD, but holy crap; I'm used to like, 8 enemies per fight max from the BG1-2 days (until ToB generally). There was some fights I really couldn't beat without basically cheesing kiting because of the sheer amount.

is that in severed hand? you get jumped there a lot.

the proper way to do it is to scout first, then cast haste on your party and rush the enemy to in order to get a good foothold and prevent being jumped by other appearing or incoming enemies. if you have free action on the party you can cast grease and web right in the middle of the fight. also, picking enemies one by one still works but it's very slow and dull.

areas before that are sorta simple and straightforward (except for the trolls maybe) so i have a feeling you're not complaining about them.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Icewind Dale needs a lot more crowd control and summoning than Baldur's Gate for this reason. Slow, Web, Emotion: Hopelessness and ESPECIALLY Entangle will be boss at controlling large numbers of creatures, while you should try and summon as many distractions as well.
    you can summon stuff right into your web/engangle/grease which will absolutely prevent the enemy from getting near you for a veeery long time during which you can do literally anything.
  • selkyraselkyra Member Posts: 54
    Simple but effective tactic is to lure and attack the enemy in narrow hallways and entrances.

Set thief traps before battle. Use Grease/Web/Entangle to slow down monsters, then cast AoE spells like Fireball, Spike Growth, Cloudkill etc. Horror and CC work well with slowing effects. Glitterdust, Curse and Greater Malison to make the enemy more susceptible to your spells and attacks. Turn Undead against masses (Cold Wights... Damn them to hell!). Pick off stragglers with ranged attacks.

Sometimes you can't use the environment to your advantage, then you have to reduce the enemy's asset of sheer numbers.

It's cheesy, but otherwise you'll get your party wiped.

Just sayin'. Probably you know it already.
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    edited November 2014
    I feel you, OP. Last night, after the 7th try at Yxonemai failing, I purged all of my saves and deleted the game. About 15 minutes later, I re-downloaded it, but my party of Bard (Skald), Barb, Battleguard, Totemic, Ftr Thief, Wild Mage has been purged to the nether realms. Not sure I'm going to start another run back any time soon. When a game just causes an insane level of frustration, it might be time to do something else for a while. The sad part is, I've beaten the game oodles of times before. Not sure why that fight was so damn hard this time.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    edited November 2014
    Yxonemai? Yeah that took me like, 5 tries until I looked up why I wasn't killing her: She takes +2 weapons to effectively kill. So I took those lovely +2 arrows I was saving up and put them on my Elven Archer, summoned up some undead to place behind me so they could attack the mage that dimension door's behind me, and then just had my warriors attack the guards on the lower right while my sorcerer and cleric nuked the upper right area with fireballs and smite evil. After Yxonemai died in a minute of constant attack pressure, mopping up the rest of the enemies was easy.

@Selkyra Yes, I learned real quick that baiting enemies around corners or out of their comfort-zone rooms was key to winning a lot of fights. One such room where it was filled with Yuan-Ti using various magical arrows was making me pull my hair out, until I thought of a way to bait them out of the room by aggroing them with my weak character (sorcerer) then jumping them as they left the room in pursuit (so they could get a better aim). Still feels really cheesy.
  • MapleMaple Member Posts: 26
    I may try SCS in BG2EE with insane difficulty. But I will definitely refuse to play insane SCS in IWDEE if there is one.

That's the difference.

Even if mages and monsters get no enhancements. Even if you get bonus experience from insane in IWDEE.

With whole bunch of enemies focusing on your weakest character and your spell casters, it's completely unplayable.

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    Maple said:

With whole bunch of enemies focusing on your weakest character and your spell casters, it's completely unplayable.

SCS is pretty fair, it doesn't just have everyone home in on your mage or whatever. You can definitely tank, kite, and so on in SCS. If there is such a thing for IWD one day (and it really should be called Ten Towns Tactics :P) I would expect it to behave similarly.

Thing with IWD right now is that even on HoF 90% of fights are just a lot of guys clobbering you. There is fairly little special abilities involved, maybe some mob needs +1 weapons to hit or causes disease on touch but that's about it. Spellcasters are a complete joke, and without SCS-style pre-buffing they are absolutely trivial to keep interrupted (even Yxunomei can just be solo'd by your archer while you mop up the other goons, she'll never get a spell off).
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303

Yxonemai? Yeah that took me like, 5 tries until I looked up why I wasn't killing her:

Yxunomei at Dragon's Eye?

Not that I would call myself a "pro", but my party had no troubles with her at all. They've had much more problems before that. For example, with the many trolls and priests near Mother Egenia. That had forced me to turn off AI for almost every encounter and even retreat a few times to avoid being overwhelmed by too many enemies with no spells to summon allies.

My party is losely inspired by the pregenerated one, .. just that I may have used different races, alignments, sex and initial weapon skills: Undead Hunter, Berserker, Cleric/Ranger, Fighter/Thief, Mage, Bard. The Paladin maybe messed up a bit, because I had started with sword'n'shield style only to notice that I might like a two-handed weapon fighter, too. The berserker is lots of fun, and I even enjoy a throwing and returning axe for some encounters.

So far I'm mostly worried about the many times I need to return to some special or safe resting place and about the many dungeon levels that don't add anything to the story.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2014
    If you've got a sorcerer in your party (mages would get access to them later on) the best two spells I can recommend are Glitterdust and Slow. These two will get you through a ton of enemies.
    yeah, I'm actually thinking of re-rolling some characters, particularly my sorcerer and trading my Priestess of Tyr for a druid or a fighter/druid. Reason being is because my kensai practically demands bark-skin or spirit armor, and clerics sadly don't get bark-skin in IWDEE, though really she's still really good despite this. The Sorcerer however has a lot of spells that I regret choosing, and it's effectively ruining him because of it.
  • GrabtharsHammerGrabtharsHammer Member Posts: 27
    Actually spirit armor is good.

I ground out my 4 char. party from level one in Heart of furry mode... terribly under-powered to level 7... grinding up to the ogre cave.

Imported to HOW to finish and came back 13, 13/14, 13/14 , 13 cuz the button says HOF mode recommended for parties of at least level 13. Hmm... now its a jog.

Caught flatfooted, my sorceress casts spirit armor on kensai/thief and monk. (wow no aggro on caster)

My Fighter / cleric tanks as sorceress casts summons, then any crowd control (like web) ect. kensai chops at edges, oops... even with spirit armor my monk occasionally gets dog piled... so run away and pot. my healer must keep tanking if at all possible. Monk slides back in at perimeter. Sorceress (still no aggro) uses Dragon breath on archers not being dealt with. Finally offensive spells.

First time with this class... like:) What can you say about a girl that can light her own burps... I obviously I hide the torches on bean night!

Ok, so maybe very difficulty, or as you said re-roll. But your sorcerer may have time to memorize the spells you like.

Rule number 1... play to the style you enjoy best :).
    I know spirit armor is good, but whether or not it's good on a sorcerer is a different story ;)

Honestly with so many spells that a sorcerer needs, I'd say spirit armor is in a very low priority list, just like haste, what with how it fatigues you faster.
    Slow is amazing! My bard and mage are doing one thing only... Throwing around debuffs. Confusion was my favorite in dragons eye. :) I leave the killing to my paladin, Ranger/cleric Fighter/cleric and Barbarian... Worked alright up until now, almost done with severed hand.

I know spirit armor is good, but whether or not it's good on a sorcerer is a different story ;)

Honestly with so many spells that a sorcerer needs, I'd say spirit armor is in a very low priority list, just like haste, what with how it fatigues you faster.

You know what you need :)

I like to have things like true sight, dispel magic, and other utility spells.

Summon monsters... and my favorite until I get extra planer and time stop... duntadudaahhh... Wyvern call

In black pits when in doubt call a blue angel and spam wyverns :).
    Oh... I use a lot of 'troop movement' if I get n trouble.. Kiting that is. One character leading a group around in circles for the win :)
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    When the undead numbers are "nuts" - cast Turn Undead with your cleric. You do have a cleric, don't you?

Anything else in "nuts" mob numbers - do you want it to be overwhelmingly challenging? Or, do you want it be "somewhat" challenging at most? Give all of your characters the "triple play" - 18's in the first three "physical" stats. 4 or 6 characters, it doesn't matter. Put the "difficulty" slider on "insane", or at least do so after about 3rd level or so, when your "triple play" toons have enough hit points (more than about 20 or 30 each) to withstand a few hits.

Watch your 4 or 6 member party roflstomp the game on "insane" difficulty.

The starting stats in the first three attributes are everything in this game. That's your true difficulty control. Want to roflstomp? Give your toons the "triple play". Want to have challenge? It increases for every point below 18 that you give your toons on those critical three stats.

Your attribute decisions are *the* difficulty control for any Inifinity Engine game. If you want challenge, don't create Kryptonian Supermen and Supergirls. If you find being mobbed that the game is roflstomping *you*, then create a party with the "triple play", for all party members.

Your level of bang-head-against -monitor frustration or roflstomping the game is completely up to you, according to how you assign the "triple play" stats to your toons.
    Undead Turning helped in the beginning. I couldn't RELY on it, but it thinned the numbers since some Undead were running in while the others were outnumbered by my fighters. Still not sure how decent Priest of Tyr really is. I mean it's okay, with the free exaltation per day and the buff ability, but it isn't Boon of Lathander, that's for sure.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Well, looks like a job for a fireball or two... I think I brute forced my way through... :)
    This game made me appreciate Fireball a lot more. Honestly I can't wait until I get chain lightning. I want it so badly right now it hurts.
  • billygreatbillygreat Member Posts: 66
    Abel said:

I agree...

That was a hell of a level on HOF mode, especially the greeting party...

This game made me appreciate Fireball a lot more. Honestly I can't wait until I get chain lightning. I want it so badly right now it hurts.

it's not that great frankly :(