Skip to content

What is typical Canon sequence for rescuing Imoen in BGII

Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
My current understanding is that after escaping Irenicus's Dungeon there follows a Chapter in which Charname and Party complete one or several quests. At least one of the possible quests to be encountered in Athkatla is more or less prompted by the game automatically according to Charname's class. Other choices arise with the possibilities of recruiting various NPCs appropriate to Good-Evil alignments and acquiring desirable items.

And there is a benchmark goal of gathering a certain amount of GP which will enlist the support of a powerful organization in your efforts to secure the release of Imoen [should that be your chosen storyline].

My question is whether a consensus exists about a reasonable number of Quests to build Party strength via Level and Items. Is it even going to be possible to come back and complete, for example, the Thief's quest, after rescuing Imoen or will I be locked into some further plotlines. If so, it would be good to rescue her ASAP or thereabouts so she won't miss out on XP. If not, then I would definitely do more of the Quests before attempting the perhaps impossible rescue....

Here is my current idea: Complete Copper Coronet quests with
Charname [FM-dualweilding Longsword and Flail]
Jaheira
Minsc
Yoshimo
Aerie

Explore just exactly how a certain potion actually tastes. [a moderate exploit only...while Minsc and Aerie are enthusiastically distracted by imagining their newly formed Djemma pact]

Recruit Valgyar and complete his quest
Switch Valgyar for Nalia and complete her quest
Secure the Fighter Stronghold
Rescue Imoen [Yoshimo exits]

Would that be normal or rushing things just a bit?? ~Eventually, I see Anomen and Keldorn in the party after Nalia, Minsc and Aerie are fare-welled...

Comments

• pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Have you played the game before? If not, you have read way too much.

I think it is fine to go that early, although I tend to quest a bit more first, which makes it a bit simpler due to levels and equipment. But then I'm rarely bothered about Imoen.

Seriously though, play the game, explore, and make your decisions based on what you want or think your character would want.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Canon storyline is kind of pointless for game as open ended as Baldurs Gate 2. If you want the "official" story you can read the novels (they are awful however, you have been warned).

Personally I like to do everything I can before completing Chapter 2 and handing in the money, that means every major questline and side quest that can be completed before returning from Spellhold. Basically when you return I just get the items that can be upgraded/built done and explore the new areas for loot, then I head straight for the finale.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Valygar's quest may be a bit tough for that early stage of the game.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,722
    If you want your sister back as fast as possible, then all you have to do, from a RP point of view, is gather the money and go immediately! While you gather the money your party gets some XP.

But for many players it's different. Some of us (or even many) don't think that going fot Imoen as fast as possible is "canon" at all. You can explain it that you need to gather experience and items to be able to protect Imoen when you meet her.

Also, there're players who don't think that Imoen is a part of their "canon" parties at all.

So, really, explore the game and decide yourself. You should do it yourself, because nothing can be better than the first experience of the game!
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    there's no canon anything apart from the party you finish BG1 with.