Skip to content

Fighter/Thief proficiences

Trying to figure what proficiences to run with on my halfling fighter/thief. Should I go single weapon style and bow or dual wielding? The former would allow me to play at range or swap to a single weapon for backstabs. The latter would be a fully focused melee combatant. What is everyone else doing?

Comments

• RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    Our experience has been that for primarily melee rogues that Sneak Attack is often the superior option, and thus TWFing is the way to go.

For backstabs, S&B's increased crit chance is generally preferred.
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    edited November 2014
    Bows early on, then dual wield later. Yes even against Skeletons, because either they die easily in non-HoF or you really want to reduce the number of characters you have in melee range early game in HoF

Being limited to 2 pips per weapon will give you enough points to do both without gimping melee or ranged.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited November 2014
    I use a fighter/thief as a backstabber and an archer.

* SW fighting style (for increased critical hits)
    ** Dagger (there're many wonderful daggers in IWDEE (including the one with -5 to THACO), they come from the start to the finish)
    * longbow (there're many badass ones here as well, including the one with lots of APR), later you can put another * here
    ** Katana later on (you must explore and find that deadly katana yourself)
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    I honestly like to play my thief as a dual wielding backstabber. Even if they do get caught in the fray they get to a point where the dps is super high because your dual wielding. But this will take some time because of the aforementioned 2 points a level 1.
  • cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    edited November 2014
    bengoshi said:

I use a fighter/thief as a backstabber and an archer.

* SW fighting style (for increased critical hits)
    ** Dagger (there're many wonderful daggers in IWDEE (including the one with -5 to THACO), they come from the start to the finish)
    * longbow (there're many badass ones here as well, including the one with lots of APR), later you can put another * here
    ** Katana later on (you must explore and find that deadly katana yourself)

Bengoshi, what race do you usually go with? Do you go with backstab or sneak attack?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @cbarchuk‌

In IWDEE I go with a dwarf. Very good saving throw bonuses, and I like dwarves. In this game you can easily up your DEX to 20 with Cat's Grace spell + there're several items that improve DEX + there's a bard song.

And about backstab/sneak attack - I prefet to have backstabs (chunking a mage or a cleric is great) but in one of my future runs I will activate sneak attacks just to test them.