Skip to content

[Not an Issue] Kensai "Number of Attacks" Never Improves

RasterOpsRasterOps Member Posts: 12
edited November 2014 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
The character record for the Kensai indicates the "Number of Attacks" at 3/2. It doesn't change despite character advancement or increased proficiency. I have no idea if this is just a typo or the Kensai is not getting any more attacks. Both the Level Up and weapon proficiency descriptions indicate an increase in the number of attacks but this is never reflected on the character record.

I can switch to a non-proficient weapon and the "Number of Attacks" changes to 1.

The following "Number of Attacks" are somewhat confusing to me, although they may be correct. Neera has 3 attacks for Darts while Xan has only one attack with the Sling. Imoen gets one attack with the Whistling Sword (+2 short sword, speed 1) but 2 attacks with a +1 Short bow (speed 5). All characters have one proficiency point with the appropriate weapon.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    edited November 2014
    Hi @RasterOps‌
    I've just checked with a longsword, and attacks goes up from 3/2 to 2 at level 7, 64000xp which is as expected. Have you reached level 7 yet?

For proficiencies, the descriptions should be read in isolation and not assumed to accumulate on top of each other, e.g. for a base attack of 1 you will get;

0*: 1 attack
    1*: 1 attack (edited, had put 1.5 before)
    2*: 1.5 attacks
    3*: 1.5 attacks
    4*: 1.5 attacks
    5*: 2 attacks
    Thanks
    Post edited by Gate70 on
  • RasterOpsRasterOps Member Posts: 12
    My character is level 6. My Longsword proficiency is 4.

A Kensai (all fighters?) starts with 3/2 attacks. So when I read I gain another 1/2 I expect another 1/2. I'm just crazy that way. :)

I was concerned when I noticed Kivan (also level 6) has 5/2 attacks with his longbow. He only has two points in Longbow.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    some range weapons have a different base rate of fire, for example; all bows have a base APR ( attacks per round) of 2, darts have a base APR of 3, slings and crossbows have a base APR 1, and throwing daggers and possibly throwing axes have a base APR of 2, so that is why some party members are getting some whacky APR differences
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Fighter and kensai start with 1 attack per round, you are including the bonus rate. Try the below.

Create a new kensai, give him these proficiencies;
    0 - bastard sword
    1 - long sword
    2 - short sword
    (& spend the spare one on an axe).

Head into the inn and buy a bastard sword, long sword and short sword.
    Equip them all.
    Note how he has 1 attack with the bastard sword and long sword. 1.5 with the short sword.

& I had to correct my previous comment as I'd made a mistake...
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited November 2014
    Gate70 said:

Hi @RasterOps‌
    I've just checked with a longsword, and attacks goes up from 3/2 to 2 at level 7, 64000xp which is as expected. Have you reached level 7 yet?

For proficiencies, the descriptions should be read in isolation and not assumed to accumulate on top of each other, e.g. for a base attack of 1 you will get;

0*: 1 attack
    1*: 1 attack (edited, had put 1.5 before)
    2*: 1.5 attacks
    3*: 1.5 attacks
    4*: 1.5 attacks
    5*: 2 attacks
    Thanks

See this confused me for a fair while as well because the way it is presented in the game easily gives the impression that it is meant to be accumulative. It should not list previously acquired bonuses unless they've changed.

Alternatively, display the changes in a way that does imply an accumulative effect (Even if it isn't accumulative). So you don't show values that haven't changed and when the value does change, you show the difference between what is was and what it will become. It would be a change to the presentation of the information/explanation, not the mechanics behind it.
  • RasterOpsRasterOps Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2014
    Thanks everyone for all the help. Made it to level 7 in Durlag's tower (still there). I have 4 proficiency points in Longsword and now have 2 attacks. So does this mean at 5 proficiency points I will have 5/2 attacks? Guessing not...
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited November 2014
    Well, you can't get to 5 pips in un-modded BG:EE due to the experience cap (except for certain dual-class scenarios). But if you could, or if you continue to BG2, yes you would have 5/2 attacks.

All melee weapons have a base APR (attacks per round) of 1.
    Warrior classes (paladins, fighters, rangers, and their respective kits) gain +1/2 APR at level 7 and another +1/2 at level 13
    2 pips in a weapon grants +1/2 APR (but only for warrior classes), 5 pips grants an additional +1/2 APR
    Dual wielding grants +1 APR (one attack per round with the off-hand weapon)
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
This discussion has been closed.